Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to extract more than 1 line in a textfile ? Post 302431206 by jim mcnamara on Monday 21st of June 2010 06:50:09 AM
Old 06-21-2010
I think Panyam meant to use sed, that isn't awk syntax.

Code:
sed  -n '/@ADDLINE1@/,/@ADDLINE4@/p'  file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a string in a textfile line per line

i need to cut the string in a textfile but each line has a specific way of cutting it (different lengths) i have a for loop that gets the string line per line, then each line has to be compared: for x in `cat tmp2.txt`; do if; then echo 'BAC' elif ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuma
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

4 GB delimited-textfile on ONE LINE

I have delimited-text files ( > 4GB ) and is just one line. OS: HP-UX 11.23 Awk / cut / sed all have line_max limitations. & unable to read one line in (Buffered-mode). Sample file: xxxx|adsfadf|Afdsa|adsf|afds|Asdfas|ads|Afds|Asdf| .....till forever, I want to put a carriage... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: magedfawzy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get line of textfile and store it in variable

Hi! I need to do the following: (1) I wan't to extract a line of a textfile (defined by a numer) and store it into a variable... (2) ...but I want to cut out a part of the line which is between two tokens and store just this to the variable Example: BlaBlaBla Bla2Bla2Bla2 *pPointerOne;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michi21609
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to add text before the first word on a line in a textfile.

How can i make a script to add text before the first word on a line in a textfile : Example: Old line: is my place New line: this is my place Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjanssen
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write $line number into textfile and read from line number

Hello everyone, I don't really know anything about scripting, but I have to manage to make this script, out of necessity. #!/bin/bash while read -r line; do #I'm reading from a big wordlist instructions using $line done Is there a way to automatically write the $line number the script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Line and Column from CSV Line in ksh or bash format

Hi, I was doing some research and can't seem to find anything. I'm trying to automate a process by creating a script to read a csv line and column and assigning that value to a variable for the script to process it. Also if you could tell me the line and column if it's on another work ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print in one line after reading textfile with paragraphs

Hello everybody I have a text file which has the following format: nmm "text20140601.033954text" "text" "text" "text" , ... , "text" "text" , ... , Lat 36.3247 Lon 16.0588 Depth 8 "text", ... , "text" "text", ..., CovXX 1.65 CovYY 2.32 CovZZ 1.2 "text" , ..., "text nmm ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate sorte different characters from one textfile and copy them in a new textfile?

My first post, so don't kill me :) Say i open some textfile with some example like this. on the table are handy, bread and wine Now i know exactly what is in and i want to separate and sorted it in terminal to an existing file with another 2 existing lines in like this: table plane ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: schwatter
3 Replies
platform::shell(3tcl)					       Tcl Bundled Packages					     platform::shell(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(3tcl)