Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Memory Barriers for (Ubuntu) Linux (i686) Post 302431048 by Corona688 on Sunday 20th of June 2010 09:14:36 PM
Old 06-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorga
Let me put it this way, I have a list of jobs to do, as I progress through the list I find some jobs aren't ready. I can either block/sleep etc and wait for the job to become ready, or I can move onto the next task and execute that one instead.
...and when you don't assume best-case, you could be going through the next few thousand not-ready tasks. Meanwhile every idle worker's doing the same thing. I begin to understand why you're concerned about contention for memory.
Quote:
If I build my system with locks, I'll adhere to the first approach, whereas what I'm trying to achieve (aided by atomic flags and memory barriers) is the second.
But because it doesn't block, you'll be wasting time scanning the list anyway, time that could have been spent doing actual work. And since your system's as busy idle as it is when actually busy you'll have a difficult time guessing how much. If I read you correctly, the jobs are all tiny. How tiny? How much more work is it to do a job than to scan the list? (And don't assume it could never, ever become mostly empty, that's the goal, not the proof.) If they're even in the same ballpark, you're going to be wasting a worrying proportion of CPU time scanning your list.

Anyway, the queue needn't block like you're describing. Put jobs in the queue when they become ready, don't just stick them there in advance, that way threads won't block when picking up jobs unless you're actually out of jobs -- in which case you want them to block. If the queue's big enough and jobs can be added fast enough, things can run smoothly. You can also do other things to streamline the queue -- hand out jobs 16 at a time instead of one at a time, switch between multiple queues, etc.

Last edited by Corona688; 06-20-2010 at 10:33 PM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory-waste in Ubuntu/Debian?

I have 512 mem on this laptop, though 'top' tells me I only have 380. However, Ubuntu is using 288 mb of memory, when I only have 3 terminals, running lynx, vim(for this file) and (of course) top. Considering it I have lynx running a 600 page txt file, which of course would eat some memory but 300?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
0 Replies

2. Linux

i686, x86 64, ppc

Hi, i am quite new to linux. I am interested in fedora linux distro. Fedora Project I dont know which one to choose, either i686, x86 64 or ppc. I prefer a live cd, coz its easy to use. And what is the difference between "Fedora Desktop Live Media" and "Fedora KDE Live Media". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superblacksmith
3 Replies

3. Programming

Getting the total virtual memory for ubuntu in c++

Hi guys , i need to get the total virtual memory in ubuntu but i need to write a C++ code for that, any idea on how to go about doing it? any references? or website that i can refer to ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaojesus
6 Replies

4. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies
atrm(1) 							   User Commands							   atrm(1)

NAME
atrm - remove jobs spooled by at or batch SYNOPSIS
atrm [-afi] [ [ job #] [user...]] DESCRIPTION
The atrm utility removes delayed-execution jobs that were created with the at(1) command, but have not yet executed. The list of these jobs and associated job numbers can be displayed by using atq(1). atrm removes each job-number you specify, and/or all jobs belonging to the user you specify, provided that you own the indicated jobs. You can only remove jobs belonging to other users if you have solaris.jobs.admin privileges. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a All. Removes all unexecuted jobs that were created by the current user. If invoked by the privileged user, the entire queue will be flushed. -f Force. All information regarding the removal of the specified jobs is suppressed. -i Interactive. atrm asks if a job should be removed. If you respond with a y, the job will be removed. FILES
/var/spool/cron/atjobs spool area for at jobs ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
at(1), atq(1), auths(1), cron(1M), auth_attr(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Aug 1999 atrm(1)