Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls grep query
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers ls grep query Post 302430691 by tmn0004676 on Friday 18th of June 2010 10:43:06 AM
Old 06-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn
And what does their answer say?
"None of the files are displayed as the shell has matched the pattern f*, so the command has no output to check against"

I changed the question a bit but I don't think it would have made any difference...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

query on grep command

Hai Friends Can anyone provide me a grep command to print x to y lines in a file. For example: grep command to display 15th line to 21st Thanks in advance Collins (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query regarding grep

In what cases the following command ignores lines in input file: $ grep -c "^" inputfile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicon007
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command query

Hi I have file like this: Sun Jan 24 03:00:00 2010: *** Weekly Process - get_ens_files.pl START *** Sun Jan 24 03:00:00 2010: *** *** Sun Jan 24 03:00:00 2010: *************************************************** Sun Jan 24 03:00:11 2010: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep query

As part of my never-ending nagios automation project I am need to implement the following run line into a loop; -bash-3.00$ grep ${feed} /usr/local/feed/service/clients/*/bin/* | awk -F/ '{print "To restart: /"$2"/"$3"/"$4"/"$5"/"$6"/"$7"/"$8"/"$9}' Which prints to screen; To restart:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/sed query

Hi all, I have one query,in my script,i give one input like sectionname that enclose with and that will search in specific file in specific directory.If found ,then it's search next section and begin of section ,sometext means different sectionname. p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

query related to grep

Hi All, The result for 'grep "cert_codes" /develop/sales/appl.srce/*.4gl' command will be saved at aa.txt grep "cert_codes" /develop/sales/appl.srce/*.4gl >aa.txt But I am not sure, whether, all result stored in .txt file in case of multi-line result. Please revert back if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbankar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command query

list ALL file entries with a last modification date of September 20. using grep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: polineni
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep query

Hi, What does this line do grep -E 'ORA-' $LIN_TOP/log/status.log > /dev/null 2>&1 Does this check in status.log and in std out, stderr also.? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File grep quick query

Hi Experts, I need some suggestion on file grep. I am trying to find multiple pattern with the file grep as below grep "2013" trace.log | grep -f pattern.cfg -i > $LOG if ; then mail -s "Exception" "sample@abc.com" < $LOG fi Is it possible to obtain what pattern I got in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
5 Replies
GIT-CHECK-IGNORE(1)						    Git Manual						       GIT-CHECK-IGNORE(1)

NAME
git-check-ignore - Debug gitignore / exclude files SYNOPSIS
git check-ignore [options] pathname... git check-ignore [options] --stdin < <list-of-paths> DESCRIPTION
For each pathname given via the command-line or from a file via --stdin, show the pattern from .gitignore (or other input files to the exclude mechanism) that decides if the pathname is excluded or included. Later patterns within a file take precedence over earlier ones. OPTIONS
-q, --quiet Don't output anything, just set exit status. This is only valid with a single pathname. -v, --verbose Also output details about the matching pattern (if any) for each given pathname. --stdin Read file names from stdin instead of from the command-line. -z The output format is modified to be machine-parseable (see below). If --stdin is also given, input paths are separated with a NUL character instead of a linefeed character. -n, --non-matching Show given paths which don't match any pattern. This only makes sense when --verbose is enabled, otherwise it would not be possible to distinguish between paths which match a pattern and those which don't. --no-index Don't look in the index when undertaking the checks. This can be used to debug why a path became tracked by e.g. git add . and was not ignored by the rules as expected by the user or when developing patterns including negation to match a path previously added with git add -f. OUTPUT
By default, any of the given pathnames which match an ignore pattern will be output, one per line. If no pattern matches a given path, nothing will be output for that path; this means that path will not be ignored. If --verbose is specified, the output is a series of lines of the form: <source> <COLON> <linenum> <COLON> <pattern> <HT> <pathname> <pathname> is the path of a file being queried, <pattern> is the matching pattern, <source> is the pattern's source file, and <linenum> is the line number of the pattern within that source. If the pattern contained a ! prefix or / suffix, it will be preserved in the output. <source> will be an absolute path when referring to the file configured by core.excludesfile, or relative to the repository root when referring to .git/info/exclude or a per-directory exclude file. If -z is specified, the pathnames in the output are delimited by the null character; if --verbose is also specified then null characters are also used instead of colons and hard tabs: <source> <NULL> <linenum> <NULL> <pattern> <NULL> <pathname> <NULL> If -n or --non-matching are specified, non-matching pathnames will also be output, in which case all fields in each output record except for <pathname> will be empty. This can be useful when running non-interactively, so that files can be incrementally streamed to STDIN of a long-running check-ignore process, and for each of these files, STDOUT will indicate whether that file matched a pattern or not. (Without this option, it would be impossible to tell whether the absence of output for a given file meant that it didn't match any pattern, or that the output hadn't been generated yet.) Buffering happens as documented under the GIT_FLUSH option in git(1). The caller is responsible for avoiding deadlocks caused by overfilling an input buffer or reading from an empty output buffer. EXIT STATUS
0 One or more of the provided paths is ignored. 1 None of the provided paths are ignored. 128 A fatal error was encountered. SEE ALSO
gitignore(5) gitconfig(5) git-ls-files(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-CHECK-IGNORE(1)