Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Memory Barriers for (Ubuntu) Linux (i686) Post 302430480 by gorga on Thursday 17th of June 2010 07:09:41 PM
Old 06-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
No significant difference.

Looks like you're right judging by those results. But if I ran it on 4/8/16/32 etc cores, would it still be the case? I have 4-core at work, I'll try it tomoro. Although if LOCK just causes a "re-ordering" of bus-access I suppose theoretically it should impact throughput.

Quote:
How so?
I want to control which queue, and ultimately which pthread runs which task, based on the fact that in the upper application, some tasks communicate very frequently and some never. Also, there is much scope for assigning equal work loads across cores, (think of a n-ary tree structure where the n-paths are of equal length and communication is restricted to nodes of the same path.) I looked at Threading Building Blocks "tasks" at first, but found it too blunt a tool for what I want.

Quote:
I don't see how using a different structure excludes pthreads. You wanted to avoid pthreads since it used atomic ops, and are prepared to use atomic ops instead?
Not really, I originally wanted to use pthreads but they didn't offer the high number of threads and "lightweightness" I needed, (in the order of 10s of 1000s, with many short-lived threads), but user-level threads like GNU threads don't offer multi-core exploitation because the kernel isn't involved. So what I've done, with some inspiration from "protothreads", is provide an abstraction on top of pthreads which provides what I need in the form of lightweight tasks.

I wanted to avoid the pthreads syncrhonisation structures like mutexes because I sought to avoid their overhead and keep it scalable. There are ways to distribute work such that mutexes aren't necessary as long as an ordering of instructions can be guaranteed, hence following your advice, I'll try those atomic instructions from GCC.

thanks!

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory-waste in Ubuntu/Debian?

I have 512 mem on this laptop, though 'top' tells me I only have 380. However, Ubuntu is using 288 mb of memory, when I only have 3 terminals, running lynx, vim(for this file) and (of course) top. Considering it I have lynx running a 600 page txt file, which of course would eat some memory but 300?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
0 Replies

2. Linux

i686, x86 64, ppc

Hi, i am quite new to linux. I am interested in fedora linux distro. Fedora Project I dont know which one to choose, either i686, x86 64 or ppc. I prefer a live cd, coz its easy to use. And what is the difference between "Fedora Desktop Live Media" and "Fedora KDE Live Media". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superblacksmith
3 Replies

3. Programming

Getting the total virtual memory for ubuntu in c++

Hi guys , i need to get the total virtual memory in ubuntu but i need to write a C++ code for that, any idea on how to go about doing it? any references? or website that i can refer to ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaojesus
6 Replies

4. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies
PTHREAD_KILL_OTHER_THREADS_NP(3)			     Linux Programmer's Manual				  PTHREAD_KILL_OTHER_THREADS_NP(3)

NAME
pthread_kill_other_threads_np - terminate all other threads in process SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> void pthread_kill_other_threads_np(void); DESCRIPTION
pthread_kill_other_threads_np() has an effect only in the LinuxThreads threading implementation. On that implementation, calling this function causes the immediate termination of all threads in the application, except the calling thread. The cancellation state and cancel- lation type of the to-be-terminated threads are ignored, and the cleanup handlers are not called in those threads. CONFORMING TO
This function is a nonstandard GNU extension; hence the suffix "_np" (nonportable) in the name. NOTES
pthread_kill_other_threads_np() is intended to be called just before a thread calls execve(2) or a similar function. This function is designed to address a limitation in the obsolete LinuxThreads implementation whereby the other threads of an application are not automati- cally terminated (as POSIX.1-2001 requires) during execve(2). In the NPTL threading implementation, pthread_kill_other_threads_np() exists, but does nothing. (Nothing needs to be done, because the implementation does the right thing during an execve(2).) SEE ALSO
execve(2), pthread_cancel(3), pthread_setcancelstate(3), pthread_setcanceltype(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-09-09 PTHREAD_KILL_OTHER_THREADS_NP(3)