Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to add "staff" group?
Operating Systems AIX How to add "staff" group? Post 302430468 by bakunin on Thursday 17th of June 2010 05:30:06 PM
Old 06-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_bean
Thank you, modify /etc/group then ok.
In AIX this is generally a bad idea: in this specific case it will work, in many other cases editing system files directly without using the special commands designed for that purpose will cause all sorts of subtle failures because the ODM and its representation (which the system files often are) starts to "drift apart" in their contents. The system commands ("chuser" or "chgroup" in this case) will take care of this and avoid any discrepancy between the systems ODM and the corresponding configuration files.

In fact ross.mather gave the most likely cause for the failure of your command: the list of groups must contain no spaces separating the group names.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

add seconds to: date"|"time"|"HHMMSS

Hey all, I have a shell that invokes a AWK. In this AWK i want invoke a function that receives 3 parameters: date: 20080831 time: 235901 duration: 00023 that function receive this 3 parameters and sum to this value two more seconds: 2008083123590100025 Remember that in case that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaconga
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files in sub dir with tag & add "." at the beginning [tag -f "Note" . | xargs -0 {} mv {} .{}]

I am trying find files in sub dir with certain tags using tag command, and add the period to the beginning. I can't use chflags hidden {} cause it doesn't add period to the beginning of the string for web purpose. So far with my knowledge, I only know mdfind or tag can be used to search files with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
6 Replies
checknr(1)						      General Commands Manual							checknr(1)

NAME
checknr - check nroff/troff files SYNOPSIS
... ...c [file ...] DESCRIPTION
searches a list of or input files for certain kinds of errors involving mismatched opening and closing delimiters and unknown commands. If no files are specified, searches the standard input. looks for the following: o Font changes using o Size changes using o Macros that come in open ... close forms, such as the and macros, which must appear in matched pairs. knows about the and macro packages. Options recognizes the following options: Define additional macro pairs in the list. is followed by groups of six characters, each group defining a pair of macros. Each six characters consist of a period, the first macro name, another period, and the second macro name. For example, to define the pairs and and and use: No spaces are allowed between the option and its arguments. Define commands that would otherwise interpret as undefined. Ignore font changes. Ignore size changes. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
complains about unmatched delimiters, unrecognized commands, and bad command syntax. EXAMPLES
Check file for errors that involve mismatched opening and closing delimiters and unknown commands, but disregard errors caused by font changes: WARNINGS
is designed for use on documents prepared with the intent of using much the same as is used. It expects a certain document writing style for and commands, in which each is terminated with and each is terminated with Although text files format properly when the next font or point size is coded directly instead of using or such techniques produce complaints from checknr. If files are to be examined by checknr, the and delimiting conventions should be used. cannot be used to define single-character macro names. does not recognize certain reasonable constructs such as conditionals. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
checkeq(1), lint(1), nroff(1). checknr(1)