Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove blank lines and comments from text file Post 302430409 by pseudocoder on Thursday 17th of June 2010 01:01:59 PM
Old 06-17-2010
Try
Code:
grep -vE '^#|^ *$' file

or
Code:
egrep -v '^#|^ *$' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove blank lines in *.srt file :)

Hi all, I use translate web to get subtitle file in my langues . But in output file have bad blank lines . I need scrip (i use debian ) to remove this blank lines . szintax of my bad *.srt file : ------ number blank1 number:number ---> number:number blank2 text1 . textn blankS... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungbp
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces in a text file...

Hi, I have this problem that there are blank spaces in my text file... i want to remove them line 1 line 2 line 3 I want to remove the space between line 2 and line 3... I tried sed... it work but it prints the whole text file at the command prompt which i dont want.... sde i tried was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't remove blank lines from a file

Hi Guys, I have been trying to remove blank lines from a file with no success. I tried using all the following options on the file: tr -s '\n' < abc.txt grep -v "^$" abc.txt sed '/^$/d' abc.txt sed '/./!d' abc.txt awk '/./' abc.txt The file is a text file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines and merge lines in shell

Hi, I'm not a expert in shell programming, so i've come here to take help from u gurus. I'm trying to tailor a csv file that i got to make it work for the LOAD FROM command. I've a datatable csv of the below format - --in file format xx,xx,xx ,xx , , , , ,,xx, xxxx,, ,, xxx,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines in a file and save the file with same name?

I have a text file which has blank lines. I want them to be removed before upload it to DB using SQL *Loader. Below is the command line, i use to remove blank lines. sed '/^ *$/d' /loc/test.txt If i use the below command to replace the file after removing the blank lines, it replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text file to CSV with field data separated by blank lines

Hello, I have some data in a text file where fields are separated by blank lines. There are only 6 fields however some fields have several lines of data as I will explain. Also data in a particular field is not consistently the same size but does end on a blank line. The first field start with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank line from a text file?

Hi All, I am creating a text file using perl. The first record I am writing as "$line" and all the other as "\n$line". At the end the file is having N number of lines. I am using this file for MLOAD (Teradata), which is reading N+1 lines in the file and failing.I am not able to find new line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unankix
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments like pattern from text

Hi , We need to remove comment like pattern from a code text. The possible comment expressions are as follows. Input BizComment : Special/*@ Name:bzt_53_3aea640a_51783afa_5d64_0 BizHidden:true @*/ /* lookup Disease Category Therapuetic Class */ a=b;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikashKumar
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tried many options but unable to delete blank lines from text file

Hi, I tried the following options but was unable to delete blank lines from file Input file = temp.hash.txt temp.hash.txt content 90 0 89.56 0 0 57575.4544 56.89 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuuunnnn
9 Replies
FMT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    FMT(1)

NAME
fmt -- simple text formatter SYNOPSIS
fmt [-Cr] [goal [maximum]] [name ...] fmt [-Cr] [-g goal] [-m maximum] [name ...] DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter which reads the concatenation of input files (or standard input if none are given) and produces on standard output a version of its input with lines as close to the goal length as possible without exceeding the maximum. The goal length defaults to 65 and the maximum to 75. The spacing at the beginning of the input lines is preserved in the output, as are blank lines and interword spac- ing. In non raw mode, lines that look like mail headers or begin with a period are not formatted. -C instructs fmt to center the text. -g goal New way to set the goal length. -m maximum New way to set the maximum length. -r Raw mode; formats all lines and does not make exceptions for lines that start with a period or look like mail headers. fmt is meant to format mail messages prior to sending, but may also be useful for other simple tasks. For instance, within visual mode of the ex(1) editor (e.g., vi(1)) the command !}fmt will reformat a paragraph, evening the lines. SEE ALSO
mail(1), nroff(1) HISTORY
The fmt command appeared in 3BSD. BUGS
The program was designed to be simple and fast - for more complex operations, the standard text processors are likely to be more appropriate. BSD
May 29, 2007 BSD