Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: REGEX problem
Top Forums Programming REGEX problem Post 302430396 by malcolmpdx on Thursday 17th of June 2010 12:18:06 PM
Old 06-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS
Nice, though that does fail in the case where there is a leading space on a record.

Also, I realized I forgot to skip the header (Smilie) - hope you don't mind my lifting from your code.
You're right. I munged the data slightly from the original post, and got rid of leading spaces, but that's easy enough to handle:

Code:
if ($_ =~ m/^\s*\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}/) {

I don't mind you lifting from it at all. Happy to help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep regex problem

Hi, I am trying to do something with grep, but for some reason I just can't get it to to work. I am looking for find a match in the second field, the length must be 10 characters and end with 'abc'. The file is in this format: <int><tab><field2> I've tried a few patterns, some work,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman
2 Replies

2. Solaris

gcc 3.4 Regex problem

Hello All, I have been using String.h with gcc 2.95. Now I have upgraded to gcc 3.4. The support for String.h has been removed and I believe Regex.h support is also not inbuilt. So I tried to build my own library for String.h. I had to use Regex.h and rx.h for a succesful library compilation.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishs13
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple regex problem?

Hi all, I am looking to create words from a sentence which adhere to a custom search pattern from my website: Example: ! +! / += ~ where the terms ! = not, +! = AND NOT, += - and equals and ~ = can be like.... Now here is the issue...i want to split a sentence like the one above on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex problem

Hi, #!/usr/bin/perl -w my $timestamp; my $line = "Fri May 29 18:29:57.357 2009 Morocco Standard Time INFO: pid 3216 tid 1724: 170: 132192: apricocot Native Server: recvd AA_BIN_MSG_VER_CHG"; if ($line =~ /^(.*) INFO: .* recvd AA_BIN_MSG_VER_CHG/) { $timestamp = $1; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex problem with +

Hi, Can someone tell me why the first regular expression with the + fails to match the input string? SUN /web>echo cat | grep '+' SUN /web>echo cat | grep '' cat I'm running SunOS 5.10 Thanks. Chris (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: che9000
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help with a regex if loop problem

Need some help with a regex if loop problem. File1: 2323 3232 4230 3230 4340 4343 233 32320 I want to print "Zero" if the number ends with a zero, but print "number" if it does not! #!/bin/bash /usr/bin/nawk '{ if ($1 ==/+0\b/){ print "Zero"} else{ print "number"} (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed regex problem

Hi, I tried to extract the time from `date` with sed. (I know it works with `date +%H:%M:%S` as well) I got three solutions of which just one worked. I thought "+" should repeat the previous expression 1 or more times and {n} should repeat the previous expression n times. $ date Thu... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiuda
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk regex problem

hi everyone suppose my input file is ABC-12345 ABCD-12345 BCD-123456 i want to search the specific pattern which looks like - in a file so i used this command cat $file | awk ' { if ($0 ~ /-/) { print } }' so it gives me the result as ABCD-12345 BCD-12345 BCD-12345 ... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
31 Replies

9. Programming

Regex problem

Hi, I am looking for regex to extract following words from text: The word which comes after "Replaced" means Replaced disk Replaced floppy Replaced memory Please suggest the regex for it. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunjanamit
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Regex problem

Script logs into switches on my list but nothing seems to happen. Following error: tr nope, doesn't (yet) match (?-xism:-]+ ?(?:\(config*\))? ? ?$) du SEEN: Here is code in question: @version_info = $session_obj->cmd('term length 0'); $session_obj->cmd('show int | i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
5 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(char *regex); int re_exec(char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1995-07-14 RE_COMP(3)