Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Groups in Unix ???
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Groups in Unix ??? Post 302430245 by gwgreen1 on Thursday 17th of June 2010 02:55:12 AM
Old 06-17-2010
Error Groups in Unix ???

What is Primary group and Secondary Group in Unix.?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Users and groups

Hi, Is it possible that one user belongs to many groups, or the relation of user/group is 1/1?. Thanks Ramón (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsanz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove UNIX user and groups

I created UNIX groups - oinstall, dba and UNIX user - oracle for the installation of Oracle 10g. But I might did something incorrectly. Oracle user account didn't created properly. How to remove these UNIX groups and user so that I can start over again to create them properly. Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies

3. AIX

Where are my groups

Hello A couple of weeks ago, I added a user to an AIX 5.3 system. I go to add one today, and it appears that when creating a user in smit, I cannot see any groups. No primary groups No Group set No Admin Groups The /etc/group and etc/secuity/group files seem to be intact. I did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

groups starting with c2?

I have some groups and when i issue a command like groups $LOGNAME it displays in one line rfautosys c2ru cash2 I want to fetch only group starting with c2 but when i grep i am getting full line. Can someone advise on this please as how i can get output as c2ru? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

6. Solaris

groups

how to create 1000 users in 1 group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
0 Replies

7. Solaris

groups

1 user in member of 4 groups find file permissions and default group (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Groups

Must I be in a group? I am using Ubuntu and am the only user on my PC. I know how to change groups but do not see a way to not be in a group. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthepines
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get total number of users and their groups in remote UNIX machine

Hi All I am trying to do ssh to different server and on the remote server for each user trying to get groups of that user but i am not getting the required result. ssh username@ip_address "for i in $( cat /etc/passwd| cut -d: -f1);do groups $i done;exit" >>abc.txt only names are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ekamjot
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a UNIX script to send a mail to the respective individual users about their groups?

Hi Team, I got a requirement to send a mail to the individual users of a unix server about their respective groups. can some one help me to provide the script as I am unable to write that. I tried with below lines but I come out with errors. cat /etc/passwd | awk -F':' '{ print $1}' |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshabag
6 Replies
NEWGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp -- change to a new primary group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-l] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command changes a user to a new primary group (real and effective group ID) by starting a new shell. The user remains logged in and the current directory and file creation mask remain unchanged. The user is always given a new shell even if the primary group change fails. The newgrp command accepts the following options: -l The environment is changed to what would be expected if the user actually logged in again. This simulates a full login. The group is a group name or non-negative numeric group ID from the group database. The real and effective group IDs are set to group or the group ID associated with the group name. If group is not specified, newgrp restores the user's real and effective group IDs to the user's primary group specified in the password database. The user's supplementary group IDs are restored to the set specified for the user in the group database. If the user is not a member of the specified group, and the group requires a password, the user will be prompted for the group password. FILES
/etc/group The group database /etc/master.passwd The user database /etc/passwd A Version 7 format password file EXIT STATUS
If a new shell is started the exit status is the exit status of the shell. Otherwise the exit status will be >0. SEE ALSO
csh(1), groups(1), login(1), sh(1), su(1), umask(2), group(5), passwd(5), environ(7) STANDARDS
The newgrp command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A newgrp command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. A newgrp command appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BUGS
There is no convenient way to enter a password into /etc/group. The use of group passwords is strongly discouraged since they are inherently insecure. It is not possible to stop users from obtaining the encrypted password from the group database. BSD
June 6, 2007 BSD