Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending a new field at the end in a file Post 302430167 by Whiteboard on Wednesday 16th of June 2010 08:55:09 PM
Old 06-16-2010
Problem with sed command

Hi All

Am trying to insert 100 beneath 35 but the below command is not working. Can some one help me in this.

Code:

12 23

sed '/35/a 100' file1

The error is below

Code:
sed: command garbled: /35/a 100

Am on SUN OS

TIA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a field to the end of each line of a file based on searching another file.

Hi All, I have two comma separated value(CSV) files, say FileA and FileB. The contents looks like that shown below. FileA EmpNo,Name,Age,Sex, 1000,ABC,23,M, 1001,DES,24,F, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimate
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a text file with \034 as field and \035 as end of message delimiter?

I need some tips to write a unix korn shell script that will parse an input text file. Input text file has messages that span several lines, each field in the message is delimited by /034 and the end of message is delimited by /035. Input file looks something similar to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indianya
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending date at the end of the file

I have file called xx Now i want to rename this file as xxYYYYMMDD_HHMIAM.xls Here is my code.. export DATE1=`date +%Y%m%d` mv xx xx$DATE1 This code renames as xxYYYYMMDD Now how can i append HHMIAM at the end of the file? Any help is appreciated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string at the end of the file

Hello, I wanted to append 'XYZ' at the end of the text file. How can i do this? I searched the forums and i am not getting what i want. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string, variable to file at the start and string at end

Hi , I have below file with 13 columns. I need 2-13 columns seperated by comma and I want to append each row with a string "INSERT INTO xxx" in the begining as 1st column and then a variable "$node" and then $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13 and at the end another string " ; COMMIT;" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending Date at the end ONLY in first line of file

Hi, My requirement is to append a date in format DDMMYYYYHHMISS at the end of first line of file which is HEADER. I am trying command sed -i '1s/.*/&<date_format>/' <file_name> Where <date_format>=`date +%m%d%Y%H%M%S` I am somehow misisng the right quotes ti get this added in above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Appending a files contents to the end of a specific file name in several directories

Here is my dir structure: /tmp/dave/myappend.txt /tmp/dave/dir1/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir2/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir3/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir4/test.txt I want to append the contents of myappend.txt to the end of each file with the name "test.txt" in all dirs in /tmp/dave/ I have tried this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigd213
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending newline character End of File

Hi Gurus, Need help. I'm a beginner in Unix. I have a requirement, need to add or append newline (\n) character in file. Sample Data: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#Output: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#\n -- append only... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gouri Solleti
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending sequence number at the end of file name

hi team, i need a script for renaming a file with sequence number. script get a file from one directory'/home/billing/Cmm/sms/sms_tmp' append sequence no at the end of file name and move a file to other directory/home/billing/Cmm/sms/. actual file is cdr201508271527 file after renaming ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfaizan40
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)