Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: where to download unix os
Operating Systems Linux Fedora where to download unix os Post 302429930 by pludi on Wednesday 16th of June 2010 07:01:47 AM
Old 06-16-2010
No. The only thing DOS, Windows (NT, newer than 98), and Unices (plural of UNIX) have in common is that they're an OS. The "terminal" can be the same program across different Unices. It's just a program that communicates between a user and another program, nothing more, nothing less. And a single program can't be UNIX, as that term includes not only programs, but also APIs, filesystem layouts, ...

Again, read up on the history of UNIX in that Wikipedia article you've linked.

Yes, the *BSDs are Unices. So is Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Tru64, and Linux, as they all support a certain set of common APIs, programs, ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I Download UNIX?

I'm very new to Unix-- I want to locate and download it to my computer and start learning it. Could anybody plz help me start. Thanks a lot. Rachid (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rachid
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I download an UNIX

Hi, I was reading on the net and something caught my eyes it was something about learning how to become a hacker. This site said that the best thing you can do to start is to use a Unix. My first question is: What is an Unix? Then I would like to ask you how can I download one on my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaoticlysmart
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where Do I Go To Download Unix?

Seriously. I Know Very Little About Unix, But Im Tired Of Windows. Id Like To Learn More About Other Os', But I Don't Know Where I Can Get A Download For Unix. I Know Some Body Can Hel[ Me. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: classicblue
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where can i download unix

okay, where can i download the unix operating system? i cant find it anywhere on your site (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dcotto21
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where can i download UNIX OS?

where can i download UNIX OS? I am a new bie! :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vuluan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Download

Hello All, I need to train myself in UNIX. Where can I get UNIX OS download, so that I can multi boot it with my existing Windows OS? Thanks PHK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pkirangi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I download UNIX 4.0e

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can download Digital UNIX 4.0E. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emybeavis
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

where can I download UNIX?

Dear All, I am a newbie in this forum, I use to know the Linux box, now I want to try with UNIX, so how can I start from the beginning (setup, configuration.....)? and where can I download UNIX? Regards; BL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenboly
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Where to download unix not unix flavours like ubuntu, redhat etc.

I checked unix.org but did not find any link where i can download basic unix flavour. any idea from where i can download unix. thanks in advance. - nilesh (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynilesh
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I download Unix?

Hey Guys I work in a job where I am starting to use Unix. I want to practice on my own personal machine. I know I can download Linux in a lot of different flavors but does anyone know where I can download UNIX? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Koopa_Troopa
3 Replies
PTS(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    PTS(4)

NAME
ptmx, pts - pseudoterminal master and slave DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/ptmx is a character file with major number 5 and minor number 2, usually of mode 0666 and owner.group of root.root. It is used to create a pseudoterminal master and slave pair. When a process opens /dev/ptmx, it gets a file descriptor for a pseudoterminal master (PTM), and a pseudoterminal slave (PTS) device is created in the /dev/pts directory. Each file descriptor obtained by opening /dev/ptmx is an independent PTM with its own associated PTS, whose path can be found by passing the file descriptor to ptsname(3). Before opening the pseudoterminal slave, you must pass the master's file descriptor to grantpt(3) and unlockpt(3). Once both the pseudoterminal master and slave are open, the slave provides processes with an interface that is identical to that of a real terminal. Data written to the slave is presented on the master file descriptor as input. Data written to the master is presented to the slave as input. In practice, pseudoterminals are used for implementing terminal emulators such as xterm(1), in which data read from the pseudoterminal mas- ter is interpreted by the application in the same way a real terminal would interpret the data, and for implementing remote-login programs such as sshd(8), in which data read from the pseudoterminal master is sent across the network to a client program that is connected to a terminal or terminal emulator. Pseudoterminals can also be used to send input to programs that normally refuse to read input from pipes (such as su(1), and passwd(1)). FILES
/dev/ptmx, /dev/pts/* NOTES
The Linux support for the above (known as UNIX 98 pseudoterminal naming) is done using the devpts filesystem, that should be mounted on /dev/pts. Before this UNIX 98 scheme, master pseudoterminals were called /dev/ptyp0, ... and slave pseudoterminals /dev/ttyp0, ... and one needed lots of preallocated device nodes. SEE ALSO
getpt(3), grantpt(3), ptsname(3), unlockpt(3), pty(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2016-03-15 PTS(4)