Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Need assistance to enable more that 4GB RAM on Linux 32Bit OS. Post 302429819 by Corona688 on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 04:18:36 PM
Old 06-15-2010
It's not really greater than normal bit capabilities... The processor supports it in hardware, and individual processes still run in a 32-bit address space, just mapped in from a larger pool of pages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Athlon XP + Linux/Unix? and RAM Question

Has anyone had any experience with this new processor and its compatability with Linux/Unix? How did it preform comared to regular Athlons and P4's? I also have one other question. I plan on buying a new dell and fiddling left and right with it. Which type of RAM is better, RDRAM or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KyPeN
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much RAM does RH Linux need?

I wish to install Red Hat linux 7.1 on a machine with 16mb of EDO Ram. When I enter the instalation process I am told 'You do not have enough memory'. Is there a way to install RHL with only the 16? Or will I have to upgrade and buy some very expensive EDO. ~ Paul (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
3 Replies

3. Debian

what is the best linux ver for p100 16 ram

Hello all i own p100 16ram laptop , i would like to run linux on it i need it for gcc compilation and shell scripting , no gui. what version of linux should i install , i dont mind to install old one . tnx allot (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the RAM size for an Linux server.

Hi Gurus, Can someone let me know how to find the RAM size,ROM size and Number of processors for a linux server. Version :Linux 2.4.9-e.57smp Also what does "e.57smp" stands for? Thanks in advance gurus..... cheers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
3 Replies

5. Linux

Linux 32bit or 64bit

Hi, I want to know what is command to know which will tell wheather linux is 32 or 64 bit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
5 Replies

6. Linux

Linux version v.s. 32bit/64bit

Where can I get a list that maps the each Linux version to corresponding 32/64 bits model? e.g. OS -> Model (ILP32, LP64, ...) RHLE3 -> ? RHLE4 -> ? RHLE5 -> ? ... It would be better if there is such a list that contains most of current UNIX OS versions. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princelinux
1 Replies

7. Debian

How to enable and use ACL's in Linux

Hi, How to enable and use ACL's in linux. Thx, siva. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

32bit Linux vs 64 bit Linux

Friends , Would u plz tell me what is the difference between 32-bit Linux o/s and the 64 bit Linux o/s . Is there any RAM limitation in this two types of o/s . Waiting for kind reply ... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
7 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

root cannot write to Linux RAM

void main() { long ((long)(&array)); int x; for (;;) { (array) =+ 1023; printf("%c", array); } } What is wrong with this code to print Linux RAM? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alux
13 Replies
OPENSSL_ia32cap(3SSL)						      OpenSSL						     OPENSSL_ia32cap(3SSL)

NAME
OPENSSL_ia32cap - finding the IA-32 processor capabilities SYNOPSIS
unsigned long *OPENSSL_ia32cap_loc(void); #define OPENSSL_ia32cap (*(OPENSSL_ia32cap_loc())) DESCRIPTION
Value returned by OPENSSL_ia32cap_loc() is address of a variable containing IA-32 processor capabilities bit vector as it appears in EDX register after executing CPUID instruction with EAX=1 input value (see Intel Application Note #241618). Naturally it's meaningful on IA-32[E] platforms only. The variable is normally set up automatically upon toolkit initialization, but can be manipulated afterwards to modify crypto library behaviour. For the moment of this writing six bits are significant, namely: 1. bit #28 denoting Hyperthreading, which is used to distiguish cores with shared cache; 2. bit #26 denoting SSE2 support; 3. bit #25 denoting SSE support; 4. bit #23 denoting MMX support; 5. bit #20, reserved by Intel, is used to choose between RC4 code pathes; 6. bit #4 denoting presence of Time-Stamp Counter. For example, clearing bit #26 at run-time disables high-performance SSE2 code present in the crypto library. You might have to do this if target OpenSSL application is executed on SSE2 capable CPU, but under control of OS which does not support SSE2 extentions. Even though you can manipulate the value programmatically, you most likely will find it more appropriate to set up an environment variable with the same name prior starting target application, e.g. on Intel P4 processor 'env OPENSSL_ia32cap=0x12900010 apps/openssl', to achieve same effect without modifying the application source code. Alternatively you can reconfigure the toolkit with no-sse2 option and recompile. 1.0.0e 2007-04-01 OPENSSL_ia32cap(3SSL)