Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Need assistance to enable more that 4GB RAM on Linux 32Bit OS. Post 302429727 by chandranjoy on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 09:54:21 AM
Old 06-15-2010
Bug Need assistance to enable more that 4GB RAM on Linux 32Bit OS.

How to enable more than 4GB RAM support on Linux 32bit OS?

Kernel version: 2.6.18-53.el5
Arch: 32Bit

I got solution at Innovationframes.com • View topic - How to enable more than 4GB RAM support on Linux 32bit OS? but my question is the steps given there will work properly or not? Will new PAE kernel affect the server performance?

Need assistance from anybody....!

Thanks,
Jai

Last edited by Scott; 06-15-2010 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Removed email and URL

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Athlon XP + Linux/Unix? and RAM Question

Has anyone had any experience with this new processor and its compatability with Linux/Unix? How did it preform comared to regular Athlons and P4's? I also have one other question. I plan on buying a new dell and fiddling left and right with it. Which type of RAM is better, RDRAM or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KyPeN
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much RAM does RH Linux need?

I wish to install Red Hat linux 7.1 on a machine with 16mb of EDO Ram. When I enter the instalation process I am told 'You do not have enough memory'. Is there a way to install RHL with only the 16? Or will I have to upgrade and buy some very expensive EDO. ~ Paul (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
3 Replies

3. Debian

what is the best linux ver for p100 16 ram

Hello all i own p100 16ram laptop , i would like to run linux on it i need it for gcc compilation and shell scripting , no gui. what version of linux should i install , i dont mind to install old one . tnx allot (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the RAM size for an Linux server.

Hi Gurus, Can someone let me know how to find the RAM size,ROM size and Number of processors for a linux server. Version :Linux 2.4.9-e.57smp Also what does "e.57smp" stands for? Thanks in advance gurus..... cheers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
3 Replies

5. Linux

Linux 32bit or 64bit

Hi, I want to know what is command to know which will tell wheather linux is 32 or 64 bit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
5 Replies

6. Linux

Linux version v.s. 32bit/64bit

Where can I get a list that maps the each Linux version to corresponding 32/64 bits model? e.g. OS -> Model (ILP32, LP64, ...) RHLE3 -> ? RHLE4 -> ? RHLE5 -> ? ... It would be better if there is such a list that contains most of current UNIX OS versions. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princelinux
1 Replies

7. Debian

How to enable and use ACL's in Linux

Hi, How to enable and use ACL's in linux. Thx, siva. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

32bit Linux vs 64 bit Linux

Friends , Would u plz tell me what is the difference between 32-bit Linux o/s and the 64 bit Linux o/s . Is there any RAM limitation in this two types of o/s . Waiting for kind reply ... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
7 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

root cannot write to Linux RAM

void main() { long ((long)(&array)); int x; for (;;) { (array) =+ 1023; printf("%c", array); } } What is wrong with this code to print Linux RAM? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alux
13 Replies
LINUX(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD