Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Counting the words in a file
Top Forums Programming Counting the words in a file Post 302429702 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 08:08:40 AM
Old 06-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav1086
Hello,

use wc.

Code:
wc -w file

Regards,
Gaurav.

I don't think that is the intent of the question. How else can one learn by practice to see how commands are implemented and what is the difficult with them? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting words in a file

I'm trying to figure out a way to count the number of words in the follwing file: cal 2002 > file1 Is there anyway to do this without using wc but instead using the cut command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r0mulus
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting words then amending to a file

i want to count the number of words in a file and then redirect this to a file echo 'total number of words=' wc -users>file THis isnt working, anyone any ideas. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iago
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting words

if i have a long list of data, with every line beginning with an ip-address, like this: 62.165.8.187 - - "GET /bestandnaam.html HTTP/1.1" 200 5848 "http://www.domeinnaam.nl/bestandnaam.html" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)" how do i count which ip-adresses are mentioned... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FOBoy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting words

Hi Is there a way to count the no. of words in all files in directory. All are text files.I use wc -w but somehow i am not getting the rite answer. Is there an alternative. Thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in counting the no of repeated words with count in a file

Hi Pls help in solving my doubt.Iam having file like below file1.txt priya jenny jenny priya raj radhika priya bharti bharti Output required: I need a output like count of repeated words with name for ex: priya 3 jenny 2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of files that contain words stored in another file

Hi All, I have written a script on this but it does not do the requisite job. My requirement is this: 1. I have two kinds of files each with different extensions. One set of files are *.dat (6000 unique DAT files all in one directory) and another set *.dic files (6000 unique DIC files in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting words from one file in another file

Hi All, I have written a script on this but it does not do the requisite job. My requirement is this: 1. I have two kinds of files each with different extensions. One set of files are *.dat (6000 unique DAT files all in one directory) and another set *.dic files (6000 unique DIC files in all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting words with perl?

how to use perl to count number of lines, words characters in a file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: winter9
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting occurrence of all words in a file

Hi, Given below is the input file: http://i53.tinypic.com/2vmvzb8.png Given below is what the output file should look like: http://i53.tinypic.com/1e6lfq.png I know how to count the occurrence of 1 word from a file, but not all of them. Can someone help please? An explanation on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r4v3n
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting specific words from the log

Hi, I need a shell script which can provide details from error logs like this Aug 23 21:19:41 red mountd: authenticated mount request from bl0110.bang.m pc.local:651 for /disk1/jobs (/disk1) Aug 23 08:49:52 red dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:25:90:2b:cd:7c via eth0: unknown client Aug 24... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
2 Replies
BOGGLE(6)							   Games Manual 							 BOGGLE(6)

NAME
boggle - play the game of boggle SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/boggle [ + ] [ ++ ] DESCRIPTION
This program is intended for people wishing to sharpen their skills at Boggle (TM Parker Bros.). If you invoke the program with 4 argu- ments of 4 letters each, (e.g. "boggle appl epie moth erhd") the program forms the obvious Boggle grid and lists all the words from /usr/dict/words found therein. If you invoke the program without arguments, it will generate a board for you, let you enter words for 3 minutes, and then tell you how well you did relative to /usr/dict/words. The object of Boggle is to find, within 3 minutes, as many words as possible in a 4 by 4 grid of letters. Words may be formed from any sequence of 3 or more adjacent letters in the grid. The letters may join horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. However, no position in the grid may be used more than once within any one word. In competitive play amongst humans, each player is given credit for those of his words which no other player has found. In interactive play, enter your words separated by spaces, tabs, or newlines. A bell will ring when there is 2:00, 1:00, 0:10, 0:02, 0:01, and 0:00 time left. You may complete any word started before the expiration of time. You can surrender before time is up by hitting 'break'. While entering words, your erase character is only effective within the current word and your line kill character is ignored. Advanced players may wish to invoke the program with 1 or 2 +'s as the first argument. The first + removes the restriction that positions can only be used once in each word. The second + causes a position to be considered adjacent to itself as well as its (up to) 8 neighbors. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 20, 1985 BOGGLE(6)