Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Why using "%" of Paging size increases & how to decrease this percentage? Post 302429694 by funksen on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 07:33:23 AM
Old 06-15-2010
Quote:
and if percentage is at 100 what will happen
this is worst case, it's hard to kill an AIX-System with an application, but this is one of a few ways to accomplish this

AIX starts killing processes to free up paging space, first user processes with low priority, and then root processes, daemons for remote logins too

you can see this in errpt

use svmon -P to see memory statistics for each process

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Universal" sar option to check for paging issues?

Hi, Can anyone please advise a universal command option for using sar to check for paging/memory issues. For Linux, I used sar -B and check on the majflt/s column and a high number is supposed to indicate paging issues, is that correct? Unfortunately, on a Solaris server, sar -B does not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

9. Web Development

How would I mod_rewrite "/~a1Pha" and "/=a1Pha" to "/paste/a1Pha.htm"? (internally & externally)

Basically I want to shorten URLs on my html pasting site (pasteht.ml), by using "/~a1Pha" instead of "/paste/a1Pha". The ID is 5 numbers and letters, both cases. For example: /~idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /=idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /paste/idnum redirects to /~idnum (to update any old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phillips1012
0 Replies

10. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
RENICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RENICE(8)

NAME
renice - alter priority of running processes SYNOPSIS
renice priority [ [ -p ] pid ... ] [ [ -g ] pgrp ... ] [ [ -u ] user ... ] DESCRIPTION
Renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes. The who parameters are interpreted as process ID's, process group ID's, or user names. Renice'ing a process group causes all processes in the process group to have their scheduling priority altered. Renice'ing a user causes all processes owned by the user to have their scheduling priority altered. By default, the processes to be affected are specified by their process ID's. To force who parameters to be interpreted as process group ID's, a -g may be specified. To force the who parameters to be interpreted as user names, a -u may be given. Supplying -p will reset who interpretation to be (the default) process ID's. For example, renice +1 987 -u daemon root -p 32 would change the priority of process ID's 987 and 32, and all processes owned by users daemon and root. Users other than the super-user may only alter the priority of processes they own, and can only monotonically increase their ``nice value'' within the range 0 to PRIO_MAX (20). (This prevents overriding administrative fiats.) The super-user may alter the priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range PRIO_MIN (-20) to PRIO_MAX. Useful priorities are: 20 (the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things go very fast). FILES
/etc/passwd to map user names to user ID's SEE ALSO
getpriority(2), setpriority(2) BUGS
Non super-users can not increase scheduling priorities of their own processes, even if they were the ones that decreased the priorities in the first place. 4th Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 RENICE(8)