Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting parts from an absolute path Post 302429679 by mortanon on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 07:19:04 AM
Old 06-15-2010
Extracting parts from an absolute path

Hi,

How can I extract parts from an absolute path?
For example :
The absolute path is /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/dir5.I need the relative path starting with directory given as parameter : for instance if the parameter is dir3 then the result should be dir3/dir4/dir5

I need generic solution independent of the depth of the directory structure.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

absolute path

is cd ~ considered an absolute path? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kirichiko
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with absolute path and relative path

I'm having problems accessing the Knoppix software on my current computer and the replacement CD I ordered hasn't arrived yet. I have a guess at what the answer would be for this question but I am not sure as I cannot test it with the software. I have to create a directory called class, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzero
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help to write a executable script for extracting some parts of a file

Hi All, I am very new in programming. I need some help. I have one input file like: Number of disabled taxa: 9 Loading mapping file: ncbi.map Load mapping: taxId2TaxLevel: 469951 --- Subsample reads (20%): 66680 of 334386 Processing: tree-from-summary Running tree-from-summary algorithm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iammitra
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting parts of a file.

Hello, I have a XML file as below and i would like to extract all the lines between <JOB & </JOB> for every such occurance. The number of lines between them is not fixed. Anyways to do this awk? ============ <JOB APR="1" AUG="1" DEC="1" FEB="1" JAN="1" JUL="1" JUN="1" MAR="1" MAY="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivat79
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

absolute path for a script ran with relative path

I have a script in which i want to print absolute path of the same script irrespective of path from where i run script. I am using test.sh: echo "pwd : `pwd`" echo "script name: $0" echo "dirname: `dirname $0`" when i run script from /my/test/dir/struct as ../test.sh the output i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rss67
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Absolute path to Relative path

Hello, I have a doubt:- --------------------- Current script:- ################################################################################################ prefix=user@my-server: find . -depth -type d -name .git -printf '%h\0' | while read -d "" path ; do ( cd "$path" || exit $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert relative path to absolute path?

Hello Everyone, I want to convert Relative Path - /home/stevin/data/APP_SERVICE/../datafile.txt to Absolute Path - /home/stevin/data/datafile.txt Is there a built-in tool in Unix to do this or any good ideas as to how can I implement this. -Steve (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwarentine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the path into two parts

Hi, file=/usr/lib I need to cut and put it into two variable like string1=/usr string2=lib I made it for string2 string2=${file#/*/} How to get String1 in the same way which I have get string2. Use even more code tags ;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
File::Spec::Win32(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				    File::Spec::Win32(3pm)

NAME
File::Spec::Win32 - methods for Win32 file specs SYNOPSIS
require File::Spec::Win32; # Done internally by File::Spec if needed DESCRIPTION
See File::Spec::Unix for a documentation of the methods provided there. This package overrides the implementation of these methods, not the semantics. devnull Returns a string representation of the null device. tmpdir Returns a string representation of the first existing directory from the following list: $ENV{TMPDIR} $ENV{TEMP} $ENV{TMP} SYS:/temp C:/temp /tmp / The SYS:/temp is preferred in Novell NetWare. Since Perl 5.8.0, if running under taint mode, and if the environment variables are tainted, they are not used. catfile Concatenate one or more directory names and a filename to form a complete path ending with a filename canonpath No physical check on the filesystem, but a logical cleanup of a path. On UNIX eliminated successive slashes and successive "/.". On Win32 makes dir1dir2dir3....dir4 -> dirdir4 and even dir1dir2dir3...dir4 -> dirdir4 splitpath ($volume,$directories,$file) = File::Spec->splitpath( $path ); ($volume,$directories,$file) = File::Spec->splitpath( $path, $no_file ); Splits a path in to volume, directory, and filename portions. Assumes that the last file is a path unless the path ends in '\', '\.', '\..' or $no_file is true. On Win32 this means that $no_file true makes this return ( $volume, $path, undef ). Separators accepted are and /. Volumes can be drive letters or UNC sharenames (\servershare). The results can be passed to "catpath" to get back a path equivalent to (usually identical to) the original path. splitdir The opposite of catdir(). @dirs = File::Spec->splitdir( $directories ); $directories must be only the directory portion of the path on systems that have the concept of a volume or that have path syntax that differentiates files from directories. Unlike just splitting the directories on the separator, leading empty and trailing directory entries can be returned, because these are significant on some OSs. So, File::Spec->splitdir( "/a/b/c" ); Yields: ( '', 'a', 'b', '', 'c', '' ) catpath Takes volume, directory and file portions and returns an entire path. Under Unix, $volume is ignored, and this is just like catfile(). On other OSs, the $volume become significant. Note For File::Spec::Win32 Maintainers Novell NetWare inherits its File::Spec behaviour from File::Spec::Win32. SEE ALSO
File::Spec perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 File::Spec::Win32(3pm)