Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX RSH intermittent error rshd: 0826-813 Permission is denied. Post 302429561 by zaxxon on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 12:43:47 AM
Old 06-15-2010
Had the same problem once - there was a wrong entry on one of our servers being used for DNS resolving (we have plenty of them helping out on that job). From 10 tries about 9 were working.
When the box with the wrong or missing entry was used (I think there was an alias missing on that DNS server), I got an error.
I noticed it while hitting repeatedly nslookup or host several times one after another like a maniac; it looked like in terms of:
Code:
ok
ok
ok
ok
ok
ok
ok
wrong
ok
ok

Also check maybe your /etc/netsvc.conf for resolving order and just in case /etc/hosts for wrong entries.

Last edited by zaxxon; 06-15-2010 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: added info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh and permission denied

Dear All I am using rsh command to work with a remote tape drive. I am getting the message 'permission denied'. What should I do to get rid of this message. Best Regards Reza (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm Permission Denied error

I am very new to Unix. We have a script that will remove files from a directory. The account removing the files has the same permissions as the directory the files are located. We have logged in as the account and deleted the files from that directory but when we run the script with the account... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cech2002
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getcwd: permission denied error

When I do a 'cd /appl' and issue 'ls -al' command, I get the following error for .. directory. ./..: Permission denied But still I get a listing of other directories under /appl. Also, if I give 'man' for any command under this /appl folder, I get the following error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh permission denied

Hi Gurus, Trying to search in the forum but cant seem to find anything related. I'm trying to run this script DWH_Housekeep.sh from the another server This is my command: rsh -l hulft 140.32.12.161 /usr/TRS/script/DWH_Housekeep.sh permission denied I get permission denied. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
7 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Permission Denied Error with X11

Hello, I am using Tiger 10.4.11 I am trying out the GIMP, so I installed the X11 package from "Optional Installs" on the cd. Whenever I open X11, I get an error: xterm: could not exec /dev/null: Permission denied I have chmodded /dev/null to 777, as well as the /tmp directory. I deleted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricardo-san
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied while executing rsh

Hi All, I have two servers, say server1 and server2. I have put the entries of both servers in /.rhosts file of both servers. So, when I tried to run following from server1- rsh server2 "ls" Permission denied was printed on console. Can anyone help me out? Regards, akash mahakode (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
4 Replies

7. AIX

rshd: 0826-813 Permission is denied.

Guy's I have two servers .. server1 and server2 I have configured the rshd and started the rshd demean in both servers by the below command . startsrc -t shell lssrc -t shell Service Command Description Status shell /usr/sbin/rshd rshd ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Webserver permission denied error

Hello, I was trying a perl-cgi tutorial and saving the data from online form to a file named (guests.txt). I am using the localhost port 80 for practice. My page file "guestbook.html" is working as I saw the online form. After filled out the blanks and submit, I was expecting to see the result... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

9. Linux

rsh permission denied

hi I have configured rsh-server and running rsh command on my fedora 14 machine while executing it shows permission denied, below is the output of the same. # rsh localhost date Permission denied. # but same works in other system # rsh localhost date Fri Nov 23 05:31:12 PST... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe, permission denied error

Hello, I am trying to stream lines written into file. When first source is down, I expect the code to swap to second line and run it. Script below works as usual and it prints out each line of the input file (s.txt): #!/bin/bash while read -r line; do echo "$line" done <"$1" exit 0Output... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
12 Replies
RESOLV.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						    RESOLV.CONF(5)

NAME
resolv.conf - Domain Name System resolver configuration SYNOPSIS
/etc/resolv.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/resolv.conf is used to configure how the host will use the Domain Name System to resolve hostnames to IP addresses. It may con- tain these two lines: nameserver IP-address domain domain-name The nameserver entry tells the IP address of the host to use for DNS queries. If it is set to 127.0.0.1 (which is the default) then the local name daemon is used that may use the /etc/hosts database to translate host names. You normally only need a nameserver entry if the name server is at the other side of a router. The default nonamed name server can't look beyond the local network. The domain entry tells the default domain to use for unqualified hostnames. This entry is usually not given in which case the domain of the local host is used. The long version of this story can be found in resolver(5). FILES
/etc/resolv.conf DNS resolver configuration file. SEE ALSO
resolver(5), hosts(5), nonamed(8), boot(8). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) RESOLV.CONF(5)