Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to print lines based on string match on another line and condition Post 302429513 by rowie718 on Monday 14th of June 2010 04:36:49 PM
Old 06-14-2010
this is the code ive worked out. i dont think its the most elegant way to do it, but it almost does what i need. the problem is because the RS is a blank line, the name of the software is in the previous record. i tried changing the RS to ".app" and variations on that, but I couldnt get it to work. so for the code i have now, in the last section id like to add something that says "print the previous record". ive been looking into things like getline, and trying various approaches, but im a bit stuck. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Code:
cat inFile | 
awk 'BEGIN{
    RS="";FS="\n"
} 

/192.168.0/ {
        gsub(/ \(.*/, "",$1)
        printf "\n%s,", $1
}

(/Adobe/&&/Version/)||(/Microsoft/&&/Version/) {

if ($1~"Version") {
        gsub(/^[ \t]+/, "",$1)
        printf "%s,", $1;
    }

}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and storing unknown number of lines based on the string with a condition

Dear friends, Please help me to resolve the problem below, I have a file with following content: date of file creation : 12 feb 2007 ==================== = name : suresh = city :mumbai #this is a blank line = date : 1st Nov 2005 ==================== few lines of some text this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find a string, print the line 2 lines below it

I am parsing a nagios config, searching for a string, and then printing the line 2 lines later (the "members" string). Here's the data: define hostgroup{ hostgroup_name chat-dev alias chat-dev members thisisahostname } define hostgroup{ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglenney
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on column in file1, find match in file2 and print matching lines

file1: file2: I need to find matches for any lines in file1 that appear in file2. Desired output is '>' plus the file1 term, followed by the line after the match in file2 (so the title is a little misleading): This is honestly beyond what I can do without spending the whole night on it, so I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print pattern match line and following lines

Data: Pattern Data Data Data Data Data Data Data Data Data ... With awk, how do I print the pattern matching line, then the subsequent lines following the pattern matching line. Varying number of lines following the pattern matching line. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print certain lines based on condition

Hi All, I have following listing Filesystem GB blocks Free Used Iused Iused Mounted on /dev/hd2 4.00 0.31 93 63080 43 /usr Filesystem GB blocks Free Used Iused Iused Mounted on Filesystem GB blocks Free Used Iused Iused... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines based on line number and specified condition

Hi, I have a file like below. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9I would like to print or copied to a file based of line count in perl If I gave a condition 1 to 3 then it should iterate over above file and print 1 to 3 and then again 1 to 3 etc. output should be 1,2,3 4,5,6 7,8,9 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print the next word from the same line based on grep string condtion match.

I need to fetch particular string from log file based on grep condition match. Actual requirement is need to print the next word from the same line based on grep string condtion match. File :Java.lanag.xyz......File copied completed : abc.txt Ouput :abc.txt I have used below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva83
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - (URGENT!) Print lines sort and move lines if match found

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!! I am looking to move matching lines (01 - 07) from File1 and 77 tab the matching string from File2, to File3.txt. I am almost done but - Currently, script is not printing lines to File3.txt in order. - Also the matching lines are not moving out of File1.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: High-T
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if condition match and print all

Hi, I am trying to do something like this ... I use awk to match a pattern, and then print out all col. My code is : awk '{if ($1 ==300) print $1,$2-'$sbin7',$3}' tmp.txt output= 300 2 whereby sbin7=2, The thing is, I want to print all col and row, not just the matched line/row only, but... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: horsepower
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if condition match and fix print decimal place

Hi All, I have problem in the middle of implementing to users, whereby the complaint is all about the decimal place which is too long. I need two decimal places only, but the outcome from command is always fixed to 6. See the sample : before: Sort Total Site Sort SortName Parts ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: horsepower
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)