Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating a File system with required permissions for all DIR's created in Post 302429403 by Scrutinizer on Monday 14th of June 2010 10:56:52 AM
Old 06-14-2010
I believe dmask is only available as a mount option for vfat or ntfs, not ext3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File and Dir permissions

I would like to configure my SuSE 7.0 workstation more securely. I have attempted for about two weeks to find a guideline on good practices for the file and directory permissions.........but to no avail. Does anyone have a guideline that I could use to help me out. I realize that the distros are... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomas.jones
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help I've created a dir called /

OK, I had some odd characters in my mkdir command which resulted in the following directory getting created: drwxr-xr-x 2 fred fredgroup 512 Apr 12 16:52 / Any ideas how I get rid of it safely? Interestingly that's a straight cut'n'paste and there appear to be some odd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Export a file system with write permissions

Hi, Is there a way we can export a file system with write permissions for only one user. For eg. we have many users on the network, but only user2 should have write permissions on the exported file system and for others it should be read-only. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

files created with different permissions

Hi, Within a SQL file i am calling 5 shell scripts in back ground and redirecting their outputs to different log files in a specific directory. Now when I observed is, the log files are created with different permissions even though i did not do any thing specific. For example in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steria_learner
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why root permissions required for creating of RAW Socket

To create RAW socket in Unix/Linux why should one have root permissions? Any other work around to create raw sockets in Unix/Linux using a normal login id? Since I don't have super user credentials and I want to create RAW sockets. Let me know if you are aware of any work around. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilgurwara
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dir permissions

Hi All, I have a script which will be run by another user say user 2 which will create a new dir say dir 4 in my work place and copy certains files from his dir. /t1/t2/t3/dir4 I want to allow the user to create the dir dir4 and copy the files,but bring the control back to my name say user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Help, I created a permissions disaster with chown

Ubuntu 10.04, Drupal 7.0 :wall: I created a Linux instance on Amazon AWS using a bitnami Linux image, and had a website up and running using Drupal. Coming from a Windows background I wanted to use a GUI to manage files because it is much faster for me, I got Gnome running on TightVNC by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alterego55
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

List full File system permissions

I am attempting to get a baseline of deployed RHEL 6.5 servers and need to produce a full filesystem permission settings list.....but I forgot the bloody command and am racking my brain and now have a migraine. I just need a simple list starting at "/" right down the tree, listing the folder,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: strykergli250hp
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating a file in required format form another existing file

I have a text file with contents like this: a,b,c, d~e,f,g,h~i,j ,k,l,m~n,o,p,q~ I need to convert this file into this format unix shell script commands: a,b,c,d~ e,f,g,h~ i,j,k,l,m~ n,o,p,q~ as you may have noticed, I need to retain the ~ signs at the end. Any help is greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha1238
3 Replies
FILESYSTEMS(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    FILESYSTEMS(5)

NAME
filesystems - Linux file-system types: minix, ext, ext2, ext3, ext4, Reiserfs, XFS, JFS, xia, msdos, umsdos, vfat, ntfs, proc, nfs, iso9660, hpfs, sysv, smb, ncpfs DESCRIPTION
When, as is customary, the proc file system is mounted on /proc, you can find in the file /proc/filesystems which file systems your kernel currently supports. If you need a currently unsupported one, insert the corresponding module or recompile the kernel. In order to use a file system, you have to mount it; see mount(8). Below a short description of a few of the available file systems. minix is the file system used in the Minix operating system, the first to run under Linux. It has a number of shortcomings: a 64MB partition size limit, short filenames, a single timestamp, etc. It remains useful for floppies and RAM disks. ext is an elaborate extension of the minix file system. It has been completely superseded by the second version of the extended file system (ext2) and has been removed from the kernel (in 2.1.21). ext2 is the high performance disk file system used by Linux for fixed disks as well as removable media. The second extended file system was designed as an extension of the extended file system (ext). ext2 offers the best performance (in terms of speed and CPU usage) of the file systems supported under Linux. ext3 is a journaling version of the ext2 file system. It is easy to switch back and forth between ext2 and ext3. ext4 is a set of upgrades to ext3 including substantial performance and reliability enhancements, plus large increases in volume, file, and directory size limits. Reiserfs is a journaling file system, designed by Hans Reiser, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.1. XFS is a journaling file system, developed by SGI, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.20. JFS is a journaling file system, developed by IBM, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.24. xiafs was designed and implemented to be a stable, safe file system by extending the Minix file system code. It provides the basic most requested features without undue complexity. The xia file system is no longer actively developed or maintained. It was removed from the kernel in 2.1.21. msdos is the file system used by DOS, Windows, and some OS/2 computers. msdos filenames can be no longer than 8 characters, followed by an optional period and 3 character extension. umsdos is an extended DOS file system used by Linux. It adds capability for long filenames, UID/GID, POSIX permissions, and special files (devices, named pipes, etc.) under the DOS file system, without sacrificing compatibility with DOS. vfat is an extended DOS file system used by Microsoft Windows95 and Windows NT. VFAT adds the capability to use long filenames under the MSDOS file system. ntfs replaces Microsoft Window's FAT file systems (VFAT, FAT32). It has reliability, performance, and space-utilization enhancements plus features like ACLs, journaling, encryption, and so on. proc is a pseudo file system which is used as an interface to kernel data structures rather than reading and interpreting /dev/kmem. In particular, its files do not take disk space. See proc(5). iso9660 is a CD-ROM file system type conforming to the ISO 9660 standard. High Sierra Linux supports High Sierra, the precursor to the ISO 9660 standard for CD-ROM file systems. It is automatically recognized within the iso9660 file-system support under Linux. Rock Ridge Linux also supports the System Use Sharing Protocol records specified by the Rock Ridge Interchange Protocol. They are used to further describe the files in the iso9660 file system to a Unix host, and provide information such as long filenames, UID/GID, POSIX permissions, and devices. It is automatically recognized within the iso9660 file-system support under Linux. hpfs is the High Performance Filesystem, used in OS/2. This file system is read-only under Linux due to the lack of available documentation. sysv is an implementation of the SystemV/Coherent file system for Linux. It implements all of Xenix FS, SystemV/386 FS, and Coherent FS. nfs is the network file system used to access disks located on remote computers. smb is a network file system that supports the SMB protocol, used by Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT, and Lan Manager. To use smb fs, you need a special mount program, which can be found in the ksmbfs package, found at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/smbfs. ncpfs is a network file system that supports the NCP protocol, used by Novell NetWare. To use ncpfs, you need special programs, which can be found at ftp://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/ncpfs. SEE ALSO
proc(5), fsck(8), mkfs(8), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-05-24 FILESYSTEMS(5)