Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell Script to Delete 1 folder and keep 5 Post 302429389 by greendevil on Monday 14th of June 2010 10:18:20 AM
Old 06-14-2010
Shell Script to Delete 1 folder and keep 5

I have situation that I had originally thought would be easily remedied until I learned more about how -mtime actually works.

We have one server that collects backups from a number of other servers. The backup server is limited in space (for reasons that predate my employment). The standard here is to maintain 5 days worth of backup folders in each subdirectory.

Also- I should mention that this is a Windows server and I am using cygwin to run linux scripts.

For the purpose of example, here is the how the directory structure is setup;

g/backup/subdir

Within subdir, the backups directories simply have dates, so under subdir, you'd see;

2010-6-10 2010-6-11 2010-6-12 2010-6-13 2010-6-14 2010-6-15

The goal is to maintain 5 days and delete the 6th day's folder...

The script that I have setup to run against a directory like this is;
Code:
cd /cygdrive/g/backup/subdir

/usr/bin/find . -name "20*" -mtime -type d -execdir /usr/bin/rm -r '{}' \;

Now- here's the catch. The backup folders (2010-6-15) don't all get created at the exact same time. In fact for some, the times can vary greatly- from 7pm to 3am. This is where I think it breaks down when trying to use -mtime, since it's actually looking at the number of seconds, not the date on the folder.

I started trying to figure out a way of creating a file count variable, such as;
Code:
'dirnum=ls | wc -l'   #and then to go on and write an 'if/then' script like 

'if $dirnum > 5   then....'

Again, I'm stuck with trying to figure out how to delete by date.

Sorry if this post is too wordy or if I've left out info. This marks my first post in a forum as I can usually figure these things out.

If anyone has any ideas or some better direction, it would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Last edited by vbe; 06-14-2010 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: code tags please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to delete folder based on text file information

I have been working on a script to list all the name's of a subfolder in a text file then edit that text file and then delete the subfolder base on the edited text file so far I have been able to do every thing I just talked about but can't figure out how to delete the subfolers base on a text file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bone11409
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script delete log files from folder & subfolders on space usage

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script to delete logs generate by db when space in the folder reaches 70%. i am getting space values from db, find the files at OS and remove them by using a cron job runs every 5minutes. I have to keep the latest 5 files at any time, my problem is that log files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all the files in folder a which exist in folder b

Hi , I need a script which basically deltes all files in folder a which are alreasy present in folder b say folder a has files abc.txt pqr .txt and b has abc.txt pqr.txt rmr.txt then file abc.txt and pqr.txt from a should be deleted (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: viv1
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script folder creation

hi can any one help me in shell scripting where in my requirement is to write a shell script where in if i run that script i should copy all the .doc files from one system to another systems within a network like from parent folders to child folder example parent folder A within parent folder... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: afra
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to delete files in different folder

Hi Experts, i need a little help. i have different folder that contain files that need to be deleted. but those folder contains huge amoung of same with 3 different extention. what i used to do is to delete them using the rm commande rm *.ext *.ext1 *.ext3 what i want to do is to have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yprudent
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files in a folder older than 2 days

hi i need a script to delete the files older than 2 days... if my input is say in a folder versions A_14122012.txt A_15122012.txt A_16122012.txt A_17122012.txt i want my output to be A_16122012.txt A_17122012.txt thanks in advance hemanth saikumar. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore Folder in Shell Script ?

Hi, I currently use a script to extract *.deb files located in a Directory called "/var/mobile/Media/Downloads" The Problem is howver I want the script to ignore the folder: "/var/mobile/Media/Downloads/New Debs and Files" (it shall NOT decompile any of the files in that folder. Here is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy files from on folder to another

I am trying to copy files with specific date and name to another folder. I am very new to shell scripting so i am finding it hard to do that. see the sample code i have written below. srcdir="/media/ubuntu/CA52057F5205720D/Users/st4r8_000/Desktop/office work/26 nov"... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aqeel Abbas
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete oldest folder based on folder named as date

Hi, I have a script doing backup to synology server, the script create new folder each day with the date as being folder name i.e. 2018-07-30. Just before creating the new folder I want the script to find the oldest folder from the list and delete it including its content. for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
3 Replies
idevicebackup2(1)					      General Commands Manual						 idevicebackup2(1)

NAME
idevicebackup2 - Create or restore backups for devices running iOS 4 or later. SYNOPSIS
idevicebackup2 [OPTIONS] CMD [CMDOPTIONS] DIRECTORY DESCRIPTION
Create or restore backup from the current or specified directory. OPTIONS
-u, --udid UDID target specific device by its 40-digit device UDID. -s, --source UDID use backup data from device specified by UDID. -i, --interactive request passwords interactively on the command line. -d, --debug enable communication debugging. -h, --help prints usage information. COMMANDS
backup create backup for the device. restore restore last backup to the device. --system restore system files, too. --reboot reboot the system when done. --copy create a copy of backup folder before restoring. --settings restore device settings from the backup. --remove remove items which are not being restored. --password PWD supply the password of the source backup. info show details about last completed backup of device. list list files of last completed backup in CSV format. encryption on|off [PWD] enable or disable backup encryption. changepw [OLD NEW] change backup password on target device. AUTHORS
Martin Szulecki Nikias Bassen SEE ALSO
idevicebackup(1) idevicebackup2(1)