Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: expr/bc syntax issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting expr/bc syntax issue Post 302429327 by bartus11 on Monday 14th of June 2010 05:59:11 AM
Old 06-14-2010
No. Your query fetched characters used by top to control behaviour of the terminal. With -b option top's output is clear from those characters, so it can be saved to file or used in shell scripts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: syntax error. why?

i want to get a substring from a string and used such shell script: var_year=`expr substr "07132006" 5 4` echo $var_year but i got such error message: expr: syntax error. why? Note: Kshell used on solaris 8. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr syntax

HELLO i have a problem i need to do this equation: final_result=*1.5. I am using expr like this: FINAL_RESULT=`expr (($RESULT1 + $RESULT2 / 2) \* 3) / 2` but it is wrong. Someone help me.thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psalas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr - Syntax error

hello to everyone, i am writing a shell script in unix and i use the following command: lnum= cut -f 1 -d : aa passline=`expr $lnum + 1` echo "$passline" with the following command i get the value that is stored in the first field of the file "aa" and i save it in the variable "lnum". i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr: syntax error

Hi All, This is a piece of code from one of my scripts: t1=`cat temp3.21447 | grep WEALTHTOUC_TRANS_20100409_233127.txt.txt.TRG | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c1-5` t2=`cat temp3.21447 | grep WEALTHTOUC_TRANS_20100409_233127.txt.txt.TRG | awk '{print $5}' | cut -c1-5` #t1=23:43... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachiagra
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with expr - "expr: syntax error"

Hi All, I'm writing a shell script in KSH, where I want to store the filename, total record count and actual record count of all the source files. The source files reside in 4 different sub-folders under the same root folder. Below is code: #!/usr/bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax Issue

Hello all. Need a bit of help... I have : previous_tmp0=`cat tmp0.txt` previous_tmp1=`cat tmp1.txt` previous_tmp2=`cat tmp2.txt` previous_tmp3=`cat tmp3.txt` previous_tmp4=`cat tmp4.txt` previous_tmp5=`cat tmp5.txt` previous_tmp6=`cat tmp6.txt` previous_tmp7=`cat tmp7.txt` Now I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to lclear "expr: syntax error" eventhough everything looks fine?

Hi All, As per my knowledge in unix, my code looks fine. But still I am getting error (expr:syntax error). Please help me to resolve this error. Script : PRE_LBNO=0 PRE_DATE=0 TOT_PAY=0 TOT_REM=0 TOTAL=1 for Record_Type in `cut -c 1 Inputt.dat` do if ; then CURR_LBNO=` cut -c... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathanandhini
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCSH IF syntax issue

Hi All, I'm trying to write a simple if statement in TCSH and I honestly can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've played around with all sorts of permutations of syntax. if ($DESKTOP_SESSION == "kde") then replace "forceFontDPI=0" "forceFontDPI=96" --... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: VerticalMule
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dpkg Syntax Issue . . .

Greetings! I'm trying to get dpkg to just completely extract a multi-part *.deb archive set into a single folder called "output". Simple? Hmmmm.... dpkg --noforce --unpack *.deb /output/Console after ops: However, "--noforce" is taken directly from the helpfile Options listing as furnished... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi, I tried to look up the issue i'm experiencing, but i'm confused what's wrong with my script. After executing the script I'm getting the following error expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype After some research, it seems that the problem relates to bc. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
term::interact::pager(n)					 Terminal control					  term::interact::pager(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
term::interact::pager - Terminal widget, paging SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require term::interact::pager ?0.1? term::interact::pager object text ?options...? object interact object done object clear object text text object configure object configure option object configure option value... object cget option _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a class for the creation of a simple paging text display. CLASS API
The package exports a single command, the class command, enabling the creation of pager instances. Its API is: term::interact::pager object text ?options...? This command creates a new pager object with the name object, initializes it, and returns the fully qualified name of the object command as its result. The argument is the text to show, possibly followed by configuration options and their values. The options are explained in the sec- tion Configuration. OBJECT API
The objects created by the class command provide the methods listed below: object interact Show the pager in the screen at the configured location and start interacting with it. This opens its own event loop for the pro- cessing of incoming characters. The method returns when the interaction has completed. See section Interaction for a description of the possible interaction. object done This method can be used by user supplied actions to terminate the interaction with the object. object clear This method can be used by user supplied actions to remove the pager from the terminal. object text text This method can be used to change the text shown by the pager. The pager will reset the dispay to show the first line of the text at the top. object configure object configure option object configure option value... object cget option Standard methods to retrieve and configure the options of the pager. CONFIGURATION
A pager instance recognizes the following options: -in chan Specifies the channel to read character sequences from. Defaults to stdin. -out chan Specifies the channel to write the pager contents to. Defaults to stdout. -column int Specifies the column of the terminal where the left margin of the pager display should appear. Defaults to 0, i.e. the left-most column. -line int Specifies the line of the terminal where the top margin of the pager display should appear. Defaults to 0, i.e. the top-most line. -height int Specifies the number of lines of text to show at most in the display. Defaults to 25. -actions dict Specifies a dictionary containing additional actions, using character sequences as keys. Note that these sequences cannot override the hardwired sequences described in section Interaction. INTERACTION
A pager object recognizes the control sequences listed below and acts as described. The user can supply more control sequences to act on via the configuration, but is not able to overide these defaults. Cursor Up The text is scrolled down a single line, making one more line visible at the top. The pager will not react if the first line of the text is already shown. Cursor Down The text is scrolled up a single line, making one more line visible at the bottom. The pager will not react if the last line of the text is already shown. Page Up The text is scrolled down a page. The pager will not react if the first line of the text is already shown. Page Down The text is scrolled up a page. The pager will not react if the last line of the text is already shown. Enter/Return The interaction with the object is terminated. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category term of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
control, pager, terminal, text display CATEGORY
Terminal control COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> term 0.1 term::interact::pager(n)