Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: expr/bc syntax issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting expr/bc syntax issue Post 302429323 by animesh303 on Monday 14th of June 2010 05:40:14 AM
Old 06-14-2010
Thanks!!! That works. Just wondering what was the issue over here?

I assume the result fetched by my query was text rather than a numeral?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: syntax error. why?

i want to get a substring from a string and used such shell script: var_year=`expr substr "07132006" 5 4` echo $var_year but i got such error message: expr: syntax error. why? Note: Kshell used on solaris 8. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr syntax

HELLO i have a problem i need to do this equation: final_result=*1.5. I am using expr like this: FINAL_RESULT=`expr (($RESULT1 + $RESULT2 / 2) \* 3) / 2` but it is wrong. Someone help me.thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psalas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr - Syntax error

hello to everyone, i am writing a shell script in unix and i use the following command: lnum= cut -f 1 -d : aa passline=`expr $lnum + 1` echo "$passline" with the following command i get the value that is stored in the first field of the file "aa" and i save it in the variable "lnum". i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr: syntax error

Hi All, This is a piece of code from one of my scripts: t1=`cat temp3.21447 | grep WEALTHTOUC_TRANS_20100409_233127.txt.txt.TRG | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c1-5` t2=`cat temp3.21447 | grep WEALTHTOUC_TRANS_20100409_233127.txt.txt.TRG | awk '{print $5}' | cut -c1-5` #t1=23:43... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachiagra
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with expr - "expr: syntax error"

Hi All, I'm writing a shell script in KSH, where I want to store the filename, total record count and actual record count of all the source files. The source files reside in 4 different sub-folders under the same root folder. Below is code: #!/usr/bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax Issue

Hello all. Need a bit of help... I have : previous_tmp0=`cat tmp0.txt` previous_tmp1=`cat tmp1.txt` previous_tmp2=`cat tmp2.txt` previous_tmp3=`cat tmp3.txt` previous_tmp4=`cat tmp4.txt` previous_tmp5=`cat tmp5.txt` previous_tmp6=`cat tmp6.txt` previous_tmp7=`cat tmp7.txt` Now I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to lclear "expr: syntax error" eventhough everything looks fine?

Hi All, As per my knowledge in unix, my code looks fine. But still I am getting error (expr:syntax error). Please help me to resolve this error. Script : PRE_LBNO=0 PRE_DATE=0 TOT_PAY=0 TOT_REM=0 TOTAL=1 for Record_Type in `cut -c 1 Inputt.dat` do if ; then CURR_LBNO=` cut -c... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathanandhini
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCSH IF syntax issue

Hi All, I'm trying to write a simple if statement in TCSH and I honestly can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've played around with all sorts of permutations of syntax. if ($DESKTOP_SESSION == "kde") then replace "forceFontDPI=0" "forceFontDPI=96" --... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: VerticalMule
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dpkg Syntax Issue . . .

Greetings! I'm trying to get dpkg to just completely extract a multi-part *.deb archive set into a single folder called "output". Simple? Hmmmm.... dpkg --noforce --unpack *.deb /output/Console after ops: However, "--noforce" is taken directly from the helpfile Options listing as furnished... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi, I tried to look up the issue i'm experiencing, but i'm confused what's wrong with my script. After executing the script I'm getting the following error expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype After some research, it seems that the problem relates to bc. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
PDO.QUERY(3)								 1							      PDO.QUERY(3)

PDO
::query - Executes an SQL statement, returning a result set as a PDOStatement object SYNOPSIS
public PDOStatement PDO::query (string $statement) DESCRIPTION
PDOStatement PDO::query (string $statement, int $PDO::FETCH_COLUMN, int $colno) PDOStatement PDO::query (string $statement, int $PDO::FETCH_CLASS, string $classname, array $ctorargs) PDOStatement PDO::query (string $statement, int $PDO::FETCH_INTO, object $object) PDO.query(3) executes an SQL statement in a single function call, returning the result set (if any) returned by the statement as a PDOStatement object. For a query that you need to issue multiple times, you will realize better performance if you prepare a PDOStatement object using PDO.pre- pare(3) and issue the statement with multiple calls to PDOStatement.execute(3). If you do not fetch all of the data in a result set before issuing your next call to PDO.query(3), your call may fail. Call PDOState- ment.closeCursor(3) to release the database resources associated with the PDOStatement object before issuing your next call to PDO.query(3). Note Although this function is only documented as having a single parameter, you may pass additional arguments to this function. They will be treated as though you called PDOStatement.setFetchMode(3) on the resultant statement object. PARAMETERS
o $statement - The SQL statement to prepare and execute. Data inside the query should be properly escaped. RETURN VALUES
PDO.query(3) returns a PDOStatement object, or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Demonstrate PDO::query A nice feature of PDO.query(3) is that it enables you to iterate over the rowset returned by a successfully executed SELECT state- ment. <?php function getFruit($conn) { $sql = 'SELECT name, color, calories FROM fruit ORDER BY name'; foreach ($conn->query($sql) as $row) { print $row['name'] . " "; print $row['color'] . " "; print $row['calories'] . " "; } } ?> The above example will output: apple red 150 banana yellow 250 kiwi brown 75 lemon yellow 25 orange orange 300 pear green 150 watermelon pink 90 SEE ALSO
PDO.exec(3), PDO.prepare(3), PDOStatement.execute(3). PHP Documentation Group PDO.QUERY(3)