Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pass function as argument to a function Post 302429212 by presul on Sunday 13th of June 2010 01:20:28 PM
Old 06-13-2010
pass function as argument to a function

I have the following code :
Code:
function1 ()
{
   print "January"
}

function2()
{
    case $1 in
                  January)
                  print "Dzisiaj mamy styczen"
                  ;;
                  *)                  
                  ;;

}

main()
{
      Month="`function2 $(function1)`"
      print "$Month"
}

# start of a program
main

Above code doesn't work.

Please help how to pass function1 as argument to function2 and save output in variable Month.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Argument to Function

May i know how to pass an argument to a function in a shell script? Sorry, i din stated that it is in a shell script in my previous post. Means: checkStatus() { ........... } read status; I wanna use the status in the function checkstatus, how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass argument to function

Hi, Can someone please explain to me how I can get a function to recognize a file given as an argument to a script. Suppose the script has the argument as follows: sh script file and the function is as follows: function display_file () { cat $1 } and it s then called #main program... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Knotty
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variables to FUNCTION ?

Hi... Actually, I want to pass a few variables to the function and print it. But, its looks like not working. Could some body help me how could i do that ?... below is my program... #!/usr/bin/ksh usage() { echo "Usage: $0 -n -a -s -w -d" exit } rename() { echo "rename $1 $2"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bh_hensem
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing more than one argument in a function

Hi All, Calling a function with one argument and storing the return value in a shell script is as below:( so far I know) value="`fun_1 "argument1"`" Its working perfectly for me. Can u help me with passing more than one argument and storing the return value Thnaks in advance JS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameter to function

HI all I have a code like ############################################## minyear() { curryear=$1 echo $curryear } ##Main Program ## minyear exit ####### when i execute "sh scriptname 2005" output should be like 2005 but the output is blank. I guess i need to pass parameter to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function call with argument doubt

Hi all, I am having a problem with user defined function call. I am new into the concept of shell script UDFs. My function is: iterate_directory() { cd $1 k=0 for i in * do if then ARR=${i} fi done echo ${ARR } } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: canishk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing commandline argument to a function

Hi, I have 2 ksh scripts. Script1.ksh contains function definition. script1.ksh function f1() { while getopts a:c: args do case $args in a) ARG1=$OPTARG ;; c) ARG2=$OPTARG ;; \?) echo "Error no valid Arguments passed" esac done echo $ARG1 echo $ARG2 script2.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument from one function to another

Hi all, In the given script code . I want to pass the maximum value that variable "i" will have in function DivideJobs () to variable $max of function SubmitCondorJob(). Any help? Thanks #!/bin/bash ... (55 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
55 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange third argument in shell function

In one of my shell function I found the following set_default_values () { prog=$1 PROC_DT=$2 RESET_ALL="${3-N}" #echo "Processing date as passed = , Program name = " ...... I understand the first and second arguments, but don't understand... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variable from one function to another function?

updateEnvironmentField() { linewithoutquotes=`echo $LINE | tr -d '"'` b() } I want to pass variable named $linewithoutquotes to another method called b(), which is called from updateEnvironmentField() method. How to do the above requirement with shell script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pottic
1 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)