Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find yesterdays file - shell script Post 302429120 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 12th of June 2010 02:16:30 PM
Old 06-12-2010
Just a note - when you get working respsonses it makes folks here feel like it is homework, when it cannot be used. We have a special forum for homework.

awk, perl, python, grep are all external to shell and require special knowledge of syntax separate from shell. awk is everywhere, perl is close to everywhere; python and ruby are somewhat less ubiquitous.

Straight shell may be possible but for a lot of things; it will require a special tested shell library to run. Generally experienced programmers resort to simpler methods: another environment like awk.

If you have to have shell - get GNU date. That allows date arithmetic operations. Although using date is not straight shell either.

I don't know where folks draw the line between shell and other things, but in reality about 80% of the commonly used "shell" commands are not shell builtins, they are separate code - find, head, tail...etc. try the which command or the type builtin to see what a command really is.

bash will let you create custom builtins, you have to code it in C however.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to Find file size

Hi, I am writing a script which takes the input file name and concat as a new file by appending a "1" to the file name. However i am not able to get the size of this new file. I am not sure where i am going wrong. Please check the script and help me get this working. #!/bin/sh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragsnovel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using find to get all of yesterdays files

i tried to use "find" to get all of yesterdays files but missed something in the 24 hours logic. can anybody help me with this one? i thought that -daystart -atime 1 was enough but i got more files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Script - Getting yesterdays date

I need to get yesterdays date in the format yyyymmdd I can get today's date simply enough - 20031112 Is there any way to substract 1 from this easily enough in korn shell script? It has to be korn shell and not perl (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
20 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script to find noof characters in a file name

hiiii shell script to find noof characters in a file name, when you run ls -l (using awk) I tried with this ls -l > temp awk -F"," '{print $1 " " expr length $9}' temp but it give some other value instead of file name length (error value like , 563,54,55,56....).How to prnint the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find specific file name and load data

I need help as to how to write a script in Unix for the following: We have 3 servers; The mainframe will FTP them to a folder. In that folder we will need the script to look and see if the specific file name is there and load it to the correct table. Can anyone pls help me out with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Find in File

Right, noob to shell scripting, playing a round for practice, wrote the following but it doesn't seem to work as expected, how could I fix/improve this script? #!/bin/bash #set -v #set -x case $# in 1) echo Searching for $1 in '*'; find . -iname '*' 2>/dev/null | xargs grep "$1" -sl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pezmc
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script find word from one file and insert in another file

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I need a bash shell scripts which search and grep a parameter value from input.txt file and insert it in between two semicolon of second line of output.txt file. For example The shell script search an IP address as parameter value from input.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilkumarsinha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find invalid URL in a text file using shell script?

How to find and remove invalid URLs in a text file using shell script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find error in the shell script file

echo "******Select Option:******" echo "1 - script1" echo "2 - script2" echo "3 - script3 " read option echo "You have selected" $option"." if then /scratch/username/script1.sh elif then /scratch/username/script2.sh elif then /scratch/username/script3.sh else echo "Please try again... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dish
12 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell script to find file type

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell script that takes a single command line parameter, a file path (might be relative or absolute). The script should examine that file and print a single line consisting of the phrase: Windows ASCII if the files is an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwatt019
4 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)