Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help: Awk to control number of characters per line Post 302429060 by rdcwayx on Saturday 12th of June 2010 01:56:35 AM
Old 06-12-2010
you can split the files to small size first.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum number of characters in a line.

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the maximum number of characters that will fit into a single line of a flat file on a unix. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting control characters at the end of each line

How to add control characters at the end of each line in a file? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Shobana (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobana_s
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to extract lines with a defined number of characters

This is my problem, my file (file A) contains the following information: Now, I would like to create a file (file B) containing only the lines with 10 or more characters but less than 20 with their corresponding ID: Then, I need to compare the entries and determine their frequency. Thus, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK - number of specified characters in a string

Hello, I'm new to using AWK and would be grateful for some basic advice to get me started. I have a file consisting of 10 fields. Initially I wish to calculate the number of . , ~ and ^ characters in the 9th field ($9) of each line. This particular string also contains alphabetical... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olly
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on Number of characters in a line - Vi editor

In the vi editor, there seems to be some limit on the number of characters could be allowed in single line. I tried a line with characters up to 1880. It worked. But when i tried with something of 5000 characters, it doesnt work. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help awk/sed: putting a space after numbers:to separate number and characters.

Hi Experts, How to sepearate the list digit with letters : with a space from where the letters begins, or other words from where the digits ended. file 52087mo(enbatl) 52049mo(enbatl) 52085mo(enbatl) 25051mo(enbatl) The output should be looks like: 52087 mo(enbatl) 52049... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to separate one line to mutiple line based on certain number of characters?

hi Gurus, I need separate a file which is one huge line to multiple lines based on certain number of charactors. for example: abcdefghi high abaddffdd I want to separate the line to multiple lines for every 4 charactors. the result should be abcd efgh i hi gh a badd ffdd Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print column number while ignoring alpha characters

I have the following script that will print column 4 ("25") when column 1 contains "123". However, I need to ignore the alpha characters that are contained in the input file. If I were to ignore the characters my output would be column 3. What is the best way to print my column of interest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipsplit - split a zipfile into smaller zipfiles SYNOPSIS
zipsplit [-t] [-i] [-p] [-s] [-n size] [-r room] [-b path] [-h] [-q] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to split. OPTIONS
-t Report how many files it will take, but don't make them. -i Make index (zipsplit.idx) and count its size against first zip file. -n size Make zip files no larger than "size" (default = 36000). -r room Leave room for "room" bytes on the first disk (default = 0). -b path Use path for the output zip files. -p Pause between output zip files. -s Do a sequential split even if it takes more zip files. -h Show a short help. -q Suppress some informational messages. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipsplit reads a zipfile and splits it into smaller zipfiles. EXAMPLES
To be filled in. BUGS
Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)