Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Able to send mail without running MTA (sendmail)? Post 302428925 by hergp on Friday 11th of June 2010 08:52:16 AM
Old 06-11-2010
No trouble at all, glad I could help.
This User Gave Thanks to hergp For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

send mail after script finishes running

Hi All, We now have a Log file which has time stamps of all the scripts ran. It has start time and end time. I now have a requirement to send mail to the Admin after the script finishes running. Can some one help me with a Script which will send mail with Start time and End time of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthgr1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

hardware = raq550 running on strongbolt2. my sendmail log is littered with this entry all through the day: localhost did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA it occurrs every 15 minutes. I don't have any problem sending or receiving mail. I did a search on google but couldn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonj
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MTA problems; root gets no mail

Hello, I am afraid that I goofed up my mailing system. I have an Ubuntu 9.10 system $ uname -smor Linux 2.6.31-14-generic x86_64 GNU/Linux I am wanting to receive cron job mails. I noticed that cron jobs were trying to send mail to sendmail. I had installed ssmtp so I could send mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Narnie
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Most popular mail server(MTA)

Which among the following is most popular choice as a mail server - 1)Sendmail 2)Postfix 3)Qmail Which is the industry preferred one? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configure sendmail to Only send mail to one domain

On both Solaris 10 and RHEL, we would like to configure sendmail in such a way that the email sent from the server should only go to a particular domain. For eg. We want our server to ONLY send the mail to <user_name>@abc.com. All other domains should be blocked/restricted. The server should not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk2code
0 Replies

7. Proxy Server

How to send mail (sendmail) for php mail()?

PHP mail() function doesn't work. Nor does sendmail: loaded system configuration file /etc/msmtprc ignoring user configuration file /home/xi/.msmtprc: No such file or directory falling back to default account using account default from /etc/msmtprc host = xsi port = 25 proxy host = (not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep the 'not running' jobs and will send the update in mail with its name(job)

my request is: i have to create a script , which will grep the 'not running' jobs and will send the update in mail with its name(job) Scenario: logged in to machine abc went to particular path: cd /a/b/c then ./script1.sh status (script.sh is a script,whose status gives info about 10 jobs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner987
1 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need to send mail only when the job is not running

I have set up a cron, which will send the mail with not runnnig jobs in the script.sh 15,30,45 * * * * /a/b/c/script.sh | grep not | mail -s "test mail" learner987@gmail.com But i dont want mail when all the jobs are running, but with the above cron i will get mails without the content(if all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learner987
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
MAILWRAPPER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MAILWRAPPER(8)

NAME
mailwrapper -- invoke appropriate MTA software based on configuration file SYNOPSIS
Special. See below. DESCRIPTION
Once upon time, the only Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) software easily available was ``sendmail''. This famous MTA was written by Eric Allman and first appeared in 4.1BSD. The legacy of this MTA affected most Mail User Agents (MUAs) such as mail(1); the path and calling conventions expected by ``sendmail'' were compiled in. But times changed. On a modern NetBSD system, the administrator may wish to use one of several available MTAs. It would be difficult to modify all MUA software typically available on a system, so most of the authors of alternative MTAs have written their front end message submission programs that may appear in the place of /usr/sbin/sendmail, but still follow the same calling conventions as ``sendmail''. The ``sendmail'' MTA also typically has aliases named mailq(1) and newaliases(1) linked to it. The program knows to behave differently when its argv[0] is ``mailq'' or ``newaliases'' and behaves appropriately. Typically, replacement MTAs provide similar functionality, either through a program that also switches behavior based on calling name, or through a set of programs that provide similar functionality. Although having replacement programs that plug replace ``sendmail'' helps in installing alternative MTAs, it essentially makes the configura- tion of the system depend on hand installing new programs in /usr. This leads to configuration problems for many administrators, since they may wish to install a new MTA without altering the system provided /usr. (This may be, for example, to avoid having upgrade problems when a new version of the system is installed over the old.) They may also have a shared /usr among several machines, and may wish to avoid placing implicit configuration information in a read-only /usr. The mailwrapper program is designed to replace /usr/sbin/sendmail and to invoke an appropriate MTA based on configuration information placed in /etc/mailer.conf. This permits the administrator to configure which MTA is to be invoked on the system at run time. EXIT STATUS
mailwrapper exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. FILES
Configuration for mailwrapper is kept in /etc/mailer.conf. /usr/sbin/sendmail is typically set up as a symlink to mailwrapper which is not usually invoked on its own. DIAGNOSTICS
mailwrapper will print a diagnostic if its configuration file is missing or malformed, or does not contain a mapping for the name under which it was invoked. SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), postfix(1), mailer.conf(5) HISTORY
The mailwrapper program appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the ``behave differently if invoked with a different name'' behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
April 10, 2010 BSD