Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bashrc not saving changes
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bashrc not saving changes Post 302428914 by kevintse on Friday 11th of June 2010 08:30:49 AM
Old 06-11-2010
It might be because that the user you used to log on to the server did not have permission to modify files under /etc.
This User Gave Thanks to kevintse For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

from bashrc to sh..??

:) as soon as i installed my software a couple of weeks ago.. (fedora core 2 vs, 2.6.8-1.521) i decided to switch the shell to sh shell and i know that .bashrc is the bash profile file(???) i want to use the sh version of the same file and make it the main profile file.. how can I switch it and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sourcing the .bashrc

Hello, I am quite new to Linux... I need to set some aliases and I can't get it to work. Can somebody tell me what's wrong? I modified the .bashrc file in my home directory. I added: alias pmv= '/home/vera/MGLTools-1.4.5/share/bin/pmv' saved it and ran source .bashrc The shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nusy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having trouble with .bashrc

hey guys, Im trying to find all my .bashrc files in the home directory. ~/etc/bash.bashrc is the only thing i can find but its outside of my /home Could the files be hidden? I want to see all my .bashrc files in my /home structure... <cries> (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxoxo
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc question

Hi, I was instructed to find all the .bashrc files on my system, that MODIFY the PS1 varaible. here is what i've come up with so far: ls / .bashrc -print woo. But thats not all. I need to display the full file name ( Including the full path ) and protection. - I can display... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc revisisted

hey guys, i've tried countless times to do this and have come up with: find / type -f ".bashrc" -exec grep PS1 '{}' \; 2>/dev/null | ls -l which tells bash: find all the files in the system with the name .bashrc and look for modifcations to PS1 and terminate and rediret error msgs... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

6. Ubuntu

/etc/bashrc umask

Hi, I got this redhat ent 4 assigned to me now. /etc/bashrc if ; then umask 022 else umask 077 fi What does it mean? I created already three user and it never had 022 umask, always 077. Thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i look for my .bashrc file

hi i am using cygwin and would like to modify my .bashrc file. How can search to find where it is? I have looked at multiple bashrc file in /etc but none of them seemed to work..thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bashrc

i have made a few changes to my bashrc file...have set a few environmental variable that my shell scripts use. Is there any way that these changes can reflect in evryone else's bashrc who are in the network or do all of them have to copy those changes to their own bashrc file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bashrc file

Hi experts, I am using bash shell and I cant find any .bashrc file in my home dir. Can anybody please help me out here.... If .bashrc file is not there, from where my shell config operates? Also I want to set my prompt like... $ Please advice. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gentleDean
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unset .bashrc

Could someone please tell me how to unset your .bashrc? I have tried all of these. I can't find anything useful from google. unset -f .bashrc unset .bashrc (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies
file-pr(8)                                                   GNATS Internal Utilities                                                   file-pr(8)

NAME
file-pr - files incoming problem reports in GNATS database SYNOPSIS
file-pr [ -f file | --file=file ] [ -h | --help ] [ -V | --version ] [ -H host | --host=host ] [ -P port | --port=port ] [ -v user | --user=user ] [ -w password | --passwd=password ] [ -d databasename | --database=databasename ] DESCRIPTION
file-pr files incoming Problem Reports in the GNATS database, sends acknowledgments to approriate parties and logs database activity. file-pr assigns the Problem Report an identification number and then files it in the GNATS database either under the category specified in the Category field of the PR, or under the default category if the Category field is nonexistent or contains an invalid category name. For the default GNATS configuration, the person responsible for that category and the person responsible for the submitter site where the PR originated receive a copy of the PR in its entirety. Optionally, the originator of the PR receives an acknowledgment that the PR ar- rived and was filed OPTIONS
-f file, --filename=file Accept file as input; if this option is not present, standard input is used. -h, --help Display usage summary for file-pr. -V, --version Display version number for file-pr. -d, --database Specifies the database to which the PR is to be submitted. If no database is specified, the database named default is assumed. This option overrides the database specified in the GNATSDB environment variable. GNATS network options: -H, --host Hostname of the GNATS server. -P, --port The port that the GNATS server runs on. -v, --username Username used to log into the GNATS server. -w, --passwd Password used to log into the GNATS server. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The GNATSDB environment variable is used to determine which database to use. For a local database, it contains the name of the database to access. For network access via gnatsd, it contains a colon-separated list of strings that describe the remote database, in the form server:port:databasename:username:password Any of the fields may be omitted, but at least one colon must appear; otherwise, the value is assumed to be the name of a local database. If GNATSDB is not set, it is assumed that the database is local and that its name is default. SEE ALSO
Keeping Track: Managing Messages With GNATS (also installed as the GNU Info file gnats.info) databases(5), dbconfig(5), delete-pr(8), edit-pr(1) file-pr(8), gen-index(8), gnats(7), gnatsd(8), mkcat(8), mkdb(8), pr-edit(8), query- pr(1), queue-pr(8), send-pr(1). COPYING
Copyright (c) 1993, 1999, 2003, Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be included in translations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in the original English. GNATS August 2003 file-pr(8)