Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Determining User Consumption in solaris Post 302428651 by engineer on Thursday 10th of June 2010 11:48:06 AM
Old 06-10-2010
This is exactly what I required!!

Cool ManSmilie
This is exactly what I required!!
Thanks a lot!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

determining ethernet port speed in solaris

i purchased, what was labeled as a 4-port fast ethernet sbus card from ebay. i installed it in my ultra1, and it seems to be working fine. how can i determine if the card is infact a fast ethernet card vs. the standard ethernet 4-port card? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CPU consumption

Hello experts, I am writing an application in Solaris, which is supposed to work on PrimePower 650 and SunFire 440 machines. The application listens to the events raised by the Hardware and OS in /dev/log. The application listens to the messages logged into /dev/log and do some processing on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pleaseteachmeun
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Consumption comparision.

hi, i hav a script which processes 1000 files one by one in every run jus for searching their corresponding output files at a given path, due to this my script runs for long time and taking more CPU, can we have any way in which we can have this check at least 100 files in a single shot... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Coredumps and swap - was part of Solaris Mem Consumption

We have Sun OS running on spark : SunOS ciniwnpr67 5.10 Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 Having Physical RAM : Sol10box # prtconf | grep Mem Memory size: 8192 Megabytes My Top Output is : 130 processes: 129 sleeping, 1 on cpu CPU states: 98.8% idle, 0.2% user, 1.0%... (39 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajwinder
39 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Mem Consumption

We have Sun OS running on spark : SunOS ciniwnpr67 5.10 Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 Having Physical RAM : Sol10box # prtconf | grep Mem Memory size: 8192 Megabytes My Top Output is : 130 processes: 129 sleeping, 1 on cpu CPU states: 98.8% idle, 0.2% user, 1.0%... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajwinder
27 Replies

6. AIX

consumption memory

Hi, I have a problem with memory on AIX 5.3. On this server, we have JDE Edwards (ERP) and Oracle Database (9.2.0.7.0). We have 4 Gb for physical memory and 3 Gb for paging space. When I stop all services (JDE, Oracle and all other services), the physical memory is not free (4 Gb) svmon... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tagger
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

8. Solaris

How to check power consumption of Solaris servers ?

hi friends, we are relocating our DC and need to plan out electrical power for the new DC. are there ways i could find the actual power consumption from my current servers ? instead of the product specs. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Problem with Swap consumption

Hi Experts, I have M4000 server with 132 GB Physical memory. 4 sparse zones are running under this server, which are running multiple applications. I am not getting any pointer, where swap space is getting consumed. Almost 97% of swap space is being used. I checked all /tmp (of zones as well),... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Regarding Memory Consumption

Hi All I am new to UNIX ,can any one please help in finding MEMORY CONSUMPTION of VLC when i use it as Streaming Server. I need to log the memory consumption for atleast 10 hours. Can any one help me in finding this Please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravikanth17
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)