Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming pthread_exit and pthread_join usage Post 302428585 by prompt on Thursday 10th of June 2010 09:58:01 AM
Old 06-10-2010
I'm programming for a school's project!

I read this iSeries Information Center

The code complete is
Code:
#include <pthread.h>
#include <stdio.h>
void *th(void *g){
        int y = 10;
        pthread_exit((void*)y);
}
int main(int argn, char ** argp){
        void * ret;
        pthread_t thread;
        pthread_create(&thread, NULL, th, NULL);
        pthread_join(thread, &ret);
        int nm = (int*)ret;
        printf("%d\n", nm);
        return 0;
}

I know that my code is very strange, but my code is only a copy of the example! I know (I'm not a programmer, I'm only a student) how to use the pointer but only in this way I can retrieve a value!

(I renew my apologies for my english)
prompt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write my own version of pthread_join()

I would like to write my own version of pthread_join and some of the other pthread function. Does some know any pages that have som examples of doing this?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigblop
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FATAL:exception occured with pthread_exit()

We had written an application in which we create worker thread. So the main thread will create the worker thread. After some time the child thread(Worker thread) will call pthread_exit(). This function was written in try{} and there occured an Exception and is handled in catch(...)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: platso
0 Replies

3. Linux

pthread_join hang on glibc2.5

Hello All, The problem i'm experiencing is with the following code: #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> int main(void) { (void) pthread_join(155555, NULL); printf("done"); return 0; } I'm getting on terminal segmentation fault . System used:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crocodil
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pthread_join function

Hi, I would like to know if the call of pthread_join( thread,&status) for a thread already created in main function will free the memory allocated to thread after the pthread_join retruns or should I wait the termination of main function? Is there any need to cancel or exit the thread if I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behnaz
0 Replies

6. Programming

Doubt on pthread_exit and pthread_join

Main function creates Thread0 and Thread1 by using pthread_create systemcall. In Thread0() { we are calling pthread_exit(0) ; } and in Thread1() { status= pthread_join(tid,NULL); sprintf(ebuf,"timer6: can't join with thread0, status: %d",status); Assert(status==0,ebuf); } ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansa
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

9. Programming

pthread_exit query

Hi, I am new to multithreaded programming. When creating a thread to run a specific function, does the function need to have a pthread_exit ? Is pthread_exit analogous to a return in a function? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayc
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory usage per user,percent usage,sytem time in ksh

Let's say i have 20 users logged on Server. How can I know how much memory percent used each of them is using with system time in each user? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
2 Replies
PTHREAD_JOIN(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PTHREAD_JOIN(3)

NAME
pthread_join -- wait for thread termination LIBRARY
POSIX Threads Library (libpthread, -lpthread) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **value_ptr); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function suspends execution of the calling thread until the target thread terminates unless the target thread has already terminated. On return from a successful pthread_join() call with a non-NULL value_ptr argument, the value passed to pthread_exit() by the terminating thread is stored in the location referenced by value_ptr. When a pthread_join() returns successfully, the target thread has been terminated. The results of multiple simultaneous calls to pthread_join() specifying the same target thread are undefined. If the thread calling pthread_join() is cancelled, then the target thread is not detached. A thread that has exited but remains unjoined counts against _POSIX_THREAD_THREADS_MAX. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_join() function will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
pthread_join() shall fail if: [EINVAL] The value specified by thread does not refer to a joinable thread. [ESRCH] No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID, thread. pthread_join() may fail if: [EDEADLK] A deadlock was detected or the value of thread specifies the calling thread. SEE ALSO
wait(2), pthread_create(3) STANDARDS
The function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
July 9, 2010 BSD