Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help: Awk to control number of characters per line Post 302428559 by DerSeb on Thursday 10th of June 2010 08:50:23 AM
Old 06-10-2010
Sure, My input is file1 and file2 above.

They are both sorted and have the same number of lines.

Now I want to create an output-file that is the same as file2, but has the same amount of fields than the same line has integers in file1.

Basicly if line "n" has 5 integer values in file 1:
Code:
T01210

I want to change the line "n" in file2 from:

Code:
26 23 54 4 22 4 6 3 6 8 66

to

Code:
26 23 54 4 22

btw. in file1 the line "n" always has a T as first character and is then followed by integer values.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by DerSeb; 06-10-2010 at 10:00 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum number of characters in a line.

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the maximum number of characters that will fit into a single line of a flat file on a unix. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting control characters at the end of each line

How to add control characters at the end of each line in a file? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Shobana (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobana_s
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to extract lines with a defined number of characters

This is my problem, my file (file A) contains the following information: Now, I would like to create a file (file B) containing only the lines with 10 or more characters but less than 20 with their corresponding ID: Then, I need to compare the entries and determine their frequency. Thus, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK - number of specified characters in a string

Hello, I'm new to using AWK and would be grateful for some basic advice to get me started. I have a file consisting of 10 fields. Initially I wish to calculate the number of . , ~ and ^ characters in the 9th field ($9) of each line. This particular string also contains alphabetical... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olly
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on Number of characters in a line - Vi editor

In the vi editor, there seems to be some limit on the number of characters could be allowed in single line. I tried a line with characters up to 1880. It worked. But when i tried with something of 5000 characters, it doesnt work. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help awk/sed: putting a space after numbers:to separate number and characters.

Hi Experts, How to sepearate the list digit with letters : with a space from where the letters begins, or other words from where the digits ended. file 52087mo(enbatl) 52049mo(enbatl) 52085mo(enbatl) 25051mo(enbatl) The output should be looks like: 52087 mo(enbatl) 52049... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to separate one line to mutiple line based on certain number of characters?

hi Gurus, I need separate a file which is one huge line to multiple lines based on certain number of charactors. for example: abcdefghi high abaddffdd I want to separate the line to multiple lines for every 4 charactors. the result should be abcd efgh i hi gh a badd ffdd Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print column number while ignoring alpha characters

I have the following script that will print column 4 ("25") when column 1 contains "123". However, I need to ignore the alpha characters that are contained in the input file. If I were to ignore the characters my output would be column 3. What is the best way to print my column of interest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)