Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recover Admin Password
Operating Systems Solaris Recover Admin Password Post 302428329 by incredible on Wednesday 9th of June 2010 01:18:08 PM
Old 06-09-2010
boot from cdrom to single user, mount the filsystem and remove the encrypted password in shadow file, save and reboot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Recover A password

Hello All, I have an application user (INFORMIX). This is a system user. It runs processes That I am unaware of. I need to discover the user's password. I can't change it, because it will affect the processes it's runnig. Is there a utility that will allow me to 'su' to that user from root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Recover root password

I need to recover root password on a test server (E 10k) running solaris 9. Can someone please tell me how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinkgoud
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to recover root password

How to recover root password in solaris, I forgot root password. thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Need to recover 'root' password

Dear All, I have lost my data backup server's root password, just have a normal login username and password ..but i need to get back my root passwd....any1 can help me out plz :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abir
7 Replies

5. Solaris

How to recover Admin password

Dear all I have two doubts please clarify my doubt with clear steps 1. As a admin i forget my password how could i know whats my password. 2. If someone change my password how could i rectify that Please give me reply. with clear steps (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Recover root password

How can I recover root password :wall: 1) I am running Solaris 10 (X86) through VMware for practicing. 2) I was practicing root password recovery and deleted the password in /etc/shadow file. 3) Neither cant login the to the CLI nor Console 4) Selected the Soalris X86 failsafe in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrishna
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to recover the root password?

Hello forum members, Please help me to recover the root password. i can login with the user in redhat linux but i forget root password. so pleas help me to recover. advance thanks siva. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to recover root password on SuSE?

Hi, We forgot the root password on SuSE version 10 server. Since I didn't have SuSE DVD, I started the server using Redhat. I updated /etc/shadow and removed the root password. I then started the server and I still can't login using root. Any idea? One more question, on Novell web... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
6 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to recover my password

Hi team, My Member Id is : 'Nila' and I forgot my password. I have tried to recover it from "Forgotten your password" link. But its not accepting my mail id which is valid. (nila.shanthi@gmail.com). Please help me to recover/change my password to login. Regards Vennila (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vennila
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How recover the root password - Solaris 11?

Hello forum members, Please help me to recover the root password. I have had difficulties working with Solaris 11. The run-level equivalents single-user in Solaris 10, I can mount disk in one partition and edit files shadow/passwd. For example: {0} ok boot cdrom -s # mount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcela Bueno
4 Replies
passwd(1)						      General Commands Manual							 passwd(1)

Name
       passwd - create or change password

Syntax
       passwd [-aefs] [name]

Description
       The  command  lets you or the superuser change your password.  When you enter the command, the program prompts you for the old password and
       then for the new password.  Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly.	Note  that
       the passwords are not displayed on the screen.

Your  new password must meet the length requirements specified by the superuser.  To review these requirements, refer to the file. (This is
       a read-only file.)

If your system is running with increased security, you may have to choose a password from a list of randomly generated  passwords,  or  you
       may  need  authorization  to  change your password.  At higher security levels, you may be prohibited from changing your password until its
       minimum lifetime has expired, as specified in the Authorization Database.

If you are running the BIND/Hesiod service, your password will be updated automatically on the server.

Options
       -a   Supply a list of randomly generated passwords.  (See the Examples section.)

-e   Use an extended protocol when communicating with a prompter program.  As a result, the standard input and output (used by is  sent	to
	    this program.

-f   Change the finger information, not the password. The finger program provides information about current ULTRIX users, such as login and
	    terminal name, idle time and office location.

-s   Change the login shell of the password file, not the password entry.

Restrictions
       If you use a hardcopy terminal, you must destroy all print outs of valid passwords.

Examples
       The following example illustrates the -a option, which displays a list of randomly generated passwords and  their  suggested  pronunciation
       with hyphens.  The hyphens delineate the syllables of the passwords:
       passwd -a abcd
       Changing password for abcd

Here are some suggested passwords:

ryegd	       ryeg-di
       aswurku	       a-swurk-u
       ryedok	       ryed-ok
       teleccs	       tel-ec-cos
       wahislas        wa-hi-slas

Enter new password:

Diagnostics
       Password must be at least 6 characters long, password unchanged
	    Your password does not meet the minimum length requirement specified in

Warning: Only the first 8 characters of the password are significant
	    Your password exceeds the maximum length requirement specified in

Permission denied
	    You do not have the privilege to change your password. The minimum lifetime has not expired.

Password is not different enough, unchanged
	    Your new password must be different from your old password.

Password must be different than logname, and not resemble previous password
	    Your new password must be different from your login name.

Verification failed, password unchanged
	    You misspelled the verification of your new password.

Files
       Password file

Authorization data base directory

Authorization data base page

Data base service selection and security configuration file
			   Only the superuser and members of the group can access the and files.

See Also
       chfn(1), chsh(1), finger(1), login(1), shexp(1), yppasswd(1yp), passwd(5yp), edauth(8), vipw(8)
       Guide to System Environment Setup
       Security Guide for Users
       Security Guide for Administrators
       "Password Security: A Case History", Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

passwd(1)