Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting howto substitute word in vi command mode Post 302428007 by Scott on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 01:51:42 PM
Old 06-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by durden_tyler
The following works with vim, you may want to try it with vi -

Code:
:481,515 s/January/March/

It substitutes the first occurrence of January only.
To substitute all occurrences of January in those lines -

Code:
:481,515 s/January/March/g

tyler_durden
Ha ha. It was the %. I feel so stoopid Smilie

(works (in VI) in Solaris too - that's good enough for me!!)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitute Command in vi

How do I substitute a word throughout a file? For example change all instances of the word John to Mark. This would be in vi for korn shell. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to substitute more than one word in a text file?

well i have this file here: <XML> <pregate xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <system_c>HPREGATE</system_c> <trans_c>HSPG</trans_c> <trans_dt>20060105161333</trans_dt> <user_id_m></user_id_m> <func_c>C</func_c> </pregate> </XML> i want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can "sed" substitute word on a specific line?

Hello experts, I know line number of the word I want to replace. Can "sed" substitute word on a specific line? As well, can sed substitute words inside a specific patten. ex. <word>lalala</word> #replace anything between <word> and </word> minifish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto get only filename from find command in Linux?

Hi every body! I would like to get only filename in the result of find command in Linux but I don't know howto. Tks so much for your helps. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguyendu0102
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto use grep command

Hi all , i am having a table which contains start date and end date for ex .. startdate enddate 12/03/2011 12/04/2012 11/03/2011 20/05/2011 11/04/2011 28/07/2011 how to grep startdate = 12/03/2011 enddate = 28/07/2011 i need output :- startdate:12/03/2012... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitute command -- need help

I am trying to do what I thought should be a simple substitution, but I can't get it to work. File: Desire output: I thought I'd start with a sed command to remove the part of the header line preceding the string "comp", then go on to remove the suffix of the target string (e.g. ":3-509(-)"),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Howto solve this disk error in Solaris in single user mode

Hi all, OS is Solaros 10 Sparc While doing Netbackup upgradation to 7.5 , the server was asked to reboot. But then it came up in single user mode, and after I typed format command it showed some disk error. bash-3.00# format Searching for disks...WARNING:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Vi "sed" substitute word on a specific line

i need to substitute word on a specific line. I was able to do it on command line like below but it is not working in vi. command line like below: sed -e '8s/table_name/schema.table_name/' file_name. in vi table_name and schema are my positional parameters that i pass into the script. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pimmit22043
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute a word in multiple file?

Team, I want to change below parameter in all the files in a directory, Check for HOSTNAME=`hostname` Change to HOSTNAME=localhost And I tried below but, its not working ☹ find /tmp -type f -exec sed 's/"HOSTNAME\=\`hostname\`"/"HOSTNAME\=localhost/g'" Help me if I am missing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute grep command at run time

HI I am trying to use the following code in the shell script (using grep) usage() { echo "Usage: ./$0 <file name> <interval> <pattern>" } METRICS_FILE=$1 INTERVAL=$2 PATTERN="$3" .. if then PATTERN="grep Gx" fi COUNT=`cat ${METRICS_FILE} | "${PATTERN}" |egrep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asifansari
8 Replies
reboot(2)							System Calls Manual							 reboot(2)

Name
       reboot - reboot system or halt processor

Syntax
       #include <sys/reboot.h>

reboot(howto)
       int howto;

Arguments
       howto   The howto argument is a mask of options passed to the bootstrap program.

The bits of howto are:

RB_HALT
		      the processor is simply halted; no reboot takes place.  RB_HALT should be used with caution.

RB_ASKNAME
		      Interpreted  by  the bootstrap program itself, causing it to inquire as to what file should be booted.  Normally, the system
		      is booted from the file "xx(0,0)vmunix" without asking.

RB_SINGLE
		      Normally, the reboot procedure involves an automatic disk consistency check and then multi-user operations.  RB_SINGLE  pre-
		      vents  the consistency check, rather simply booting the system with a single-user shell on the console.  RB_SINGLE is inter-
		      preted by the init(8) program in the newly booted system.  This switch is not available from the system call interface.

Only the superuser may a machine.

Description
       The system call reboots the system, and is invoked automatically in the event of unrecoverable system failures.	The system call  interface
       permits	only  RB_HALT or RB_AUTOBOOT to be passed to the reboot program; the other flags are used in scripts stored on the console storage
       media or used in manual bootstrap procedures.  When none of these options (for example, RB_AUTOBOOT) is given, the system is rebooted  from
       file in the root file system of unit 0 of a disk chosen in a processor-specific way.  Normally, an automatic consistency check of the disks
       is then performed.

Return Values
       If successful, this call never returns.	Otherwise, a -1 is returned, and an error is stored in the global variable errno.

Diagnostics
       The call fails under the following condition:

[EPERM]	      The caller is not the superuser.

See Also
       crash(8v), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8)

reboot(2)