Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting howto substitute word in vi command mode Post 302428006 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 01:48:53 PM
Old 06-08-2010
The following works with vim, you may want to try it with vi -

Code:
:481,515 s/January/March/

It substitutes the first occurrence of January only.
To substitute all occurrences of January in those lines -

Code:
:481,515 s/January/March/g

tyler_durden
This User Gave Thanks to durden_tyler For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitute Command in vi

How do I substitute a word throughout a file? For example change all instances of the word John to Mark. This would be in vi for korn shell. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to substitute more than one word in a text file?

well i have this file here: <XML> <pregate xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <system_c>HPREGATE</system_c> <trans_c>HSPG</trans_c> <trans_dt>20060105161333</trans_dt> <user_id_m></user_id_m> <func_c>C</func_c> </pregate> </XML> i want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can "sed" substitute word on a specific line?

Hello experts, I know line number of the word I want to replace. Can "sed" substitute word on a specific line? As well, can sed substitute words inside a specific patten. ex. <word>lalala</word> #replace anything between <word> and </word> minifish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto get only filename from find command in Linux?

Hi every body! I would like to get only filename in the result of find command in Linux but I don't know howto. Tks so much for your helps. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguyendu0102
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto use grep command

Hi all , i am having a table which contains start date and end date for ex .. startdate enddate 12/03/2011 12/04/2012 11/03/2011 20/05/2011 11/04/2011 28/07/2011 how to grep startdate = 12/03/2011 enddate = 28/07/2011 i need output :- startdate:12/03/2012... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitute command -- need help

I am trying to do what I thought should be a simple substitution, but I can't get it to work. File: Desire output: I thought I'd start with a sed command to remove the part of the header line preceding the string "comp", then go on to remove the suffix of the target string (e.g. ":3-509(-)"),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Howto solve this disk error in Solaris in single user mode

Hi all, OS is Solaros 10 Sparc While doing Netbackup upgradation to 7.5 , the server was asked to reboot. But then it came up in single user mode, and after I typed format command it showed some disk error. bash-3.00# format Searching for disks...WARNING:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Vi "sed" substitute word on a specific line

i need to substitute word on a specific line. I was able to do it on command line like below but it is not working in vi. command line like below: sed -e '8s/table_name/schema.table_name/' file_name. in vi table_name and schema are my positional parameters that i pass into the script. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pimmit22043
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute a word in multiple file?

Team, I want to change below parameter in all the files in a directory, Check for HOSTNAME=`hostname` Change to HOSTNAME=localhost And I tried below but, its not working ☹ find /tmp -type f -exec sed 's/"HOSTNAME\=\`hostname\`"/"HOSTNAME\=localhost/g'" Help me if I am missing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute grep command at run time

HI I am trying to use the following code in the shell script (using grep) usage() { echo "Usage: ./$0 <file name> <interval> <pattern>" } METRICS_FILE=$1 INTERVAL=$2 PATTERN="$3" .. if then PATTERN="grep Gx" fi COUNT=`cat ${METRICS_FILE} | "${PATTERN}" |egrep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asifansari
8 Replies
CPU_REBOOT(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					     CPU_REBOOT(9)

NAME
cpu_reboot -- halt or reboot the system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/reboot.h> void cpu_reboot(int howto, char *bootstr); DESCRIPTION
The cpu_reboot() function handles final system shutdown, and either halts or reboots the system. The exact action to be taken is determined by the flags passed in howto and by whether or not the system has finished autoconfiguration. If the system has finished autoconfiguration, cpu_reboot() does the following: 1. Sets the boothowto system variable (see boothowto(9)) from the howto argument. 2. If this is the first invocation of cpu_reboot() and the RB_NOSYNC flag is not set in howto, syncs and unmounts the system disks by calling vfs_shutdown(9) and sets the time of day clock by calling resettodr(9). 3. Disables interrupts. 4. If rebooting after a crash (i.e., if RB_DUMP is set in howto, but RB_HALT is not), saves a system crash dump. 5. Runs any shutdown hooks by calling pmf_system_shutdown(9). 6. Prints a message indicating that the system is about to be halted or rebooted. 7. If RB_HALT is set in howto, halts the system. Otherwise, reboots the system. If the system has not finished autoconfiguration, cpu_reboot() runs any shutdown hooks by calling pmf_system_shutdown(9), prints a message, and halts the system. If RB_STRING is set in howto, then the parameter bootstr is passed to the system boot loader on some ports. SEE ALSO
boothowto(9), dumpsys(9), pmf_system_shutdown(9), resettodr(9), vfs_shutdown(9) BSD
February 11, 2010 BSD