Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Rollover/compress log from ACTIVE process Post 302427952 by malcolmpdx on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 12:00:37 PM
Old 06-08-2010
Depending on the process, it may be possible to send it a HUP to have it reopen it's filehandles.

If that's the case, the steps are relatively simple:

1) move the active file to a different name (process still logging to it)
2) HUP the process (closes current filehandle, opens new one to new file)
3) Then, compress the old file.

Some programs support this - others don't. Some require that the new file be present and have the correct permissions before opening it - others don't, and will create a new file automatically on a HUP.

Best of luck!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Compress log files?

Hi, I have my log files in /home/user1/temp2/logs i want to archive *.log and *.txt files and to store in my /home/user1/temp2/archved/ with *.log with Time stamp ,Please let me know how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

vmstat returns good val for cpuIdle put ps shows no active process

hi i'm running a shell script that checks the amount of cpu idle either using /usr/bin/vmstat 1 2 or sar 1 2 (on unixware) before i run some tests(if cpu idle greater than 89 I run them). These tests are run on many platforms, linux(suse, redhat) hp-ux, unixware, aix, solaris, tru64. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rollover cable with linux box

hi all gurus can we using laptop(XP) with rollover cable to connect serial port on linux box? thanks jiajin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lijiajin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep active log file

Hi Gurus, I am facing a problem with grepping a set of data in active log file which are the info not in uniform, below is the sample data information. I am trying to grep value. Connect_PM Connect to APPS gateway failed ERROR connection to host anyserver.com, service 6600 timed out ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anakiar
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress the log files

Hi, I have an application which creates the logs in a date wise. like, tomcat_access_log.2009-09-12.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-11.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-10.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-09.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-08.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-07.logNow my requirement is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q's on Active Process Time

Is it possible to display active processes' Year,Month,Day,Hour,Minute,Second info of process start time ? Preferbly in the format "YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS" ? I tried to do this with the ps command but it only gets the time or date. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers Steve (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I calculate total number of active and non active hosts?

#!/bin/bash for digit in $(seq 1 10) do if ping -c1 -w2 192.168.1.$digit &> /dev/null then echo "192.168.1.$digit is UP" else echo "192.168.1.$digit is DOWN" fi done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining if a process is active in UNIX

We have written a bare bones scheduling app using bash scripts. The input to the scheduler is from a mainframe scheduling tool, and the scripts exit code is returned to the MF. The problem is that every now and again I have a script that does not complete and this is left in my Q. I am in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Charles Swart
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy open active log

Hi, I try to copy the nohup.out to new file using cp command on solaris 10 However, the new file is very large size compare to nohup.out The file is in English format text. Any solution for copying active/open log file without problem with the size. ex: /dir > du -sh nohup.out 636K ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xitrum
7 Replies
SAVELOG(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SAVELOG(8)

NAME
savelog - save a log file SYNOPSIS
savelog [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-t] [-p] [-c cycle] [-l] [-j] [-J] [-1 .. -9] [-C] [-d] [-l] [-r rolldir] [-n] [-q] [-D dateformat] file ... DESCRIPTION
The savelog command saves and optionally compresses old copies of files. Older versions of file are named: file.<number><compress_suffix> where <number> is the version number, 0 being the newest. Version numbers > 0 are compressed unless -l prevents it. Version number 0 is not compressed because a process might still have file opened for I/O. Only cycle versions of the file are kept. If the file does not exist and -t was given, it will be created. For files that do exist and have lengths greater than zero, the following actions are performed: 1) Version numbered files are cycled. Version file.2 is moved to version file.3, version file.1 is moved to version file.2, and so on. Finally version file.0 is moved to version file.1, and version file is deleted. Both compressed names and uncompressed names are cycled, regardless of -l. Missing version files are ignored. 2) The new file.1 is compressed unless the -l flag was given. It is changed subject to the -m, -u, and -g flags. 3) The main file is moved to file.0. 4) If the -m, -u, -g, -t, or -p flags are given, then an empty file is created subject to the given flags. With the -p flag, the file is created with the same owner, group, and permissions as before. 5) The new file.0 is changed subject to the -m, -u, and -g flags. OPTIONS
-m mode chmod the log files to mode, implies -t -u user chown log files to user, implies -t -g group chgrp log files to group, implies -t -c cycle Save cycle versions of the logfile (default: 7). The cycle count must be at least 2. -t touch new logfile into existence -l don't compress any log files (default: do compress) -p preserve owner, group, and permissions of logfile -j compress with bzip2 instead of gzip -J compress with xz instead of gzip For xz no strength option is set, and xz decides on the default based on the total amount of physical RAM. Note that xz can use a very large amount of memory for the higher compression levels. -1 .. -9 compression strength or memory usage (default: 9, except for xz) -C force cleanup of cycled logfiles -d use standard date for rolling -D dateformat override date format, in the syntax understood by the date(1) command -r use rolldir instead of . to roll files -n do not rotate empty files -q be quiet BUGS
If a process is still writing to file.0, and savelog moves it to file.1 and compresses it, data could be lost. SEE ALSO
logrotate(8) Debian 30 Dec 2017 SAVELOG(8)