Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Rollover/compress log from ACTIVE process Post 302427952 by malcolmpdx on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 12:00:37 PM
Old 06-08-2010
Depending on the process, it may be possible to send it a HUP to have it reopen it's filehandles.

If that's the case, the steps are relatively simple:

1) move the active file to a different name (process still logging to it)
2) HUP the process (closes current filehandle, opens new one to new file)
3) Then, compress the old file.

Some programs support this - others don't. Some require that the new file be present and have the correct permissions before opening it - others don't, and will create a new file automatically on a HUP.

Best of luck!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Compress log files?

Hi, I have my log files in /home/user1/temp2/logs i want to archive *.log and *.txt files and to store in my /home/user1/temp2/archved/ with *.log with Time stamp ,Please let me know how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

vmstat returns good val for cpuIdle put ps shows no active process

hi i'm running a shell script that checks the amount of cpu idle either using /usr/bin/vmstat 1 2 or sar 1 2 (on unixware) before i run some tests(if cpu idle greater than 89 I run them). These tests are run on many platforms, linux(suse, redhat) hp-ux, unixware, aix, solaris, tru64. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rollover cable with linux box

hi all gurus can we using laptop(XP) with rollover cable to connect serial port on linux box? thanks jiajin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lijiajin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep active log file

Hi Gurus, I am facing a problem with grepping a set of data in active log file which are the info not in uniform, below is the sample data information. I am trying to grep value. Connect_PM Connect to APPS gateway failed ERROR connection to host anyserver.com, service 6600 timed out ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anakiar
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress the log files

Hi, I have an application which creates the logs in a date wise. like, tomcat_access_log.2009-09-12.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-11.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-10.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-09.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-08.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-07.logNow my requirement is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q's on Active Process Time

Is it possible to display active processes' Year,Month,Day,Hour,Minute,Second info of process start time ? Preferbly in the format "YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS" ? I tried to do this with the ps command but it only gets the time or date. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers Steve (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I calculate total number of active and non active hosts?

#!/bin/bash for digit in $(seq 1 10) do if ping -c1 -w2 192.168.1.$digit &> /dev/null then echo "192.168.1.$digit is UP" else echo "192.168.1.$digit is DOWN" fi done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining if a process is active in UNIX

We have written a bare bones scheduling app using bash scripts. The input to the scheduler is from a mainframe scheduling tool, and the scripts exit code is returned to the MF. The problem is that every now and again I have a script that does not complete and this is left in my Q. I am in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Charles Swart
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy open active log

Hi, I try to copy the nohup.out to new file using cp command on solaris 10 However, the new file is very large size compare to nohup.out The file is in English format text. Any solution for copying active/open log file without problem with the size. ex: /dir > du -sh nohup.out 636K ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xitrum
7 Replies
SKILL(1)							Linux User's Manual							  SKILL(1)

NAME
skill, snice - send a signal or report process status SYNOPSIS
skill [signal to send] [options] process selection criteria snice [new priority] [options] process selection criteria DESCRIPTION
These tools are probably obsolete and unportable. The command syntax is poorly defined. Consider using the killall, pkill, and pgrep com- mands instead. The default signal for skill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9 -SIGKILL -KILL. The default priority for snice is +4. (snice +4 ...) Priority numbers range from +20 (slowest) to -20 (fastest). Negative priority num- bers are restricted to administrative users. GENERAL OPTIONS
-f fast mode This is not currently useful. -i interactive use You will be asked to approve each action. -v verbose output Display information about selected processes. -w warnings enabled This is not currently useful. -n no action This only displays the process ID. -V show version Displays version of program. PROCESS SELECTION OPTIONS
Selection criteria can be: terminal, user, pid, command. The options below may be used to ensure correct interpretation. Do not blame Albert for this interesting interface. -t The next argument is a terminal (tty or pty). -u The next argument is a username. -p The next argument is a process ID number. -c The next argument is a command name. SIGNALS
The signals listed below may be available for use with skill. When known, numbers and default behavior are shown. Name Num Action Description () () 0 0 n/a exit code indicates if a signal may be sent ALRM 14 exit HUP 1 exit INT 2 exit KILL 9 exit this signal may not be blocked PIPE 13 exit POLL exit PROF exit TERM 15 exit USR1 exit USR2 exit VTALRM exit STKFLT exit may not be implemented PWR ignore may exit on some systems WINCH ignore CHLD ignore URG ignore TSTP stop may interact with the shell TTIN stop may interact with the shell TTOU stop may interact with the shell STOP stop this signal may not be blocked CONT restart continue if stopped, otherwise ignore ABRT 6 core FPE 8 core ILL 4 core QUIT 3 core SEGV 11 core TRAP 5 core SYS core may not be implemented EMT core may not be implemented BUS core core dump may fail XCPU core core dump may fail XFSZ core core dump may fail EXAMPLES
Command Description snice seti crack +7 Slow down seti and crack skill -KILL -v /dev/pts/* Kill users on new-style PTY devices skill -STOP viro lm davem Stop 3 users snice -17 root bash Give priority to root's shell SEE ALSO
killall(1) pkill(1) kill(1) renice(1) nice(1) signal(7) kill(2) STANDARDS
No standards apply. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote skill and snice in 1999 as a replacement for a non-free version, and is the current maintainer of the procps collection. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net>. ()