Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HOWTO - change letter case of variable value Post 302427913 by albertogarcia on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 08:45:10 AM
Old 06-08-2010
the line number of the error is "11"?

this line doesn't appear in the code you've posted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Covert case of first letter only

Using sed or tr, how do I change "fred" into "Fred" or "fReD" into "Fred" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tisons
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add a space after an Upper case letter

Hi I have two questions. 1. how to convert "EverythingIsFine" to "Everything Is Fine" in a txt file. 2. how to convert everything to upper case letter and reverse, I hope there is a general purpose script for this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to upper case first letter of each word in column 2

Hi guys, I have a file separated by ",". I´m trying to change to upper case the first letter of each word in column 2 to establish a standard format on this column. I hope somebody could help me to complete the SED or AWK script below. The file looks like this: (Some lines in column 2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check input for lenght, special characters and letter case

I made menu script for users so they can run other script without going in shell just from menu. But i must control their input. These are criteria: Input must have 4 signs First two signs are always lower case letters Input shall not have some special signs just letters and numbers ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waso
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change each letter of a string

Is there a way to change each letter of a string to the next one in the alphabet, so that a becomes b and f becomes g, and digits become one unit bigger - 4 becomes 5 and 9 becomes 0. I want to change strings like ben123 to cfo234. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

toupper or tolower case of first letter of the line depending on another file

Hi I would like to read if the first letter of a line in a first file (gauche.txt) is uppercase or lowercase, and change consequently the first letter of the corresponding line in the second file (droiteInit.txt). I have done this but it won't work (I launch this using gawk -f... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Upper case letter match

Hi, im able to search for string in a file (ex: grep -w "$a" input.txt). but i have to search for the uppercase of a string in a file where upper case of the file content matches something like below. where upper("$a")== converted to upper case string in (input.txt) can someone please provide... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_satyambabu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
wconv(3C)																 wconv(3C)

NAME
towupper(), towlower() - translate wide characters SYNOPSIS
Remarks: These functions are compliant with the XPG4 Worldwide Portability Interface wide-character conversion functions. They parallel the 8-bit character conversion functions defined in conv(3C). DESCRIPTION
and have as domain a the value of which is representable as a or the value If the argument has any other value, the behavior is undefined. If the argument of represents a lowercase letter, the result is the corresponding uppercase letter. If the argument of represents an uppercase letter, the result is the corresponding lowercase letter. All other arguments are returned unchanged. Definitions for these functions, the types and the value are provided in the header. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Locale The category determines the translations to be done. International Code Set Support Single-byte and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by IBM, OSF, and HP. SEE ALSO
conv(3C), multibyte(3C), wctype(3C), setlocale(3C), lang(5), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
wconv(3C)