Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HOWTO - change letter case of variable value Post 302427905 by danmero on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 08:26:20 AM
Old 06-08-2010
bash 4
Code:
# name=january
# echo ${name^}
January

or..
Code:
# name=jAnUaRy
# first=${name:0:1}
# rest=${name:1}
# name=${first^}${rest,,}
# echo $name
January

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Covert case of first letter only

Using sed or tr, how do I change "fred" into "Fred" or "fReD" into "Fred" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tisons
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add a space after an Upper case letter

Hi I have two questions. 1. how to convert "EverythingIsFine" to "Everything Is Fine" in a txt file. 2. how to convert everything to upper case letter and reverse, I hope there is a general purpose script for this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to upper case first letter of each word in column 2

Hi guys, I have a file separated by ",". I´m trying to change to upper case the first letter of each word in column 2 to establish a standard format on this column. I hope somebody could help me to complete the SED or AWK script below. The file looks like this: (Some lines in column 2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check input for lenght, special characters and letter case

I made menu script for users so they can run other script without going in shell just from menu. But i must control their input. These are criteria: Input must have 4 signs First two signs are always lower case letters Input shall not have some special signs just letters and numbers ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waso
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change each letter of a string

Is there a way to change each letter of a string to the next one in the alphabet, so that a becomes b and f becomes g, and digits become one unit bigger - 4 becomes 5 and 9 becomes 0. I want to change strings like ben123 to cfo234. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

toupper or tolower case of first letter of the line depending on another file

Hi I would like to read if the first letter of a line in a first file (gauche.txt) is uppercase or lowercase, and change consequently the first letter of the corresponding line in the second file (droiteInit.txt). I have done this but it won't work (I launch this using gawk -f... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Upper case letter match

Hi, im able to search for string in a file (ex: grep -w "$a" input.txt). but i have to search for the uppercase of a string in a file where upper case of the file content matches something like below. where upper("$a")== converted to upper case string in (input.txt) can someone please provide... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_satyambabu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
conv(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   conv(3)

Name
       toupper, tolower, _toupper, _tolower, toascii - translate characters

Syntax
       #include <ctype.h>

int toupper(c)
       int c;

int tolower(c)
       int c;

int _toupper(c)
       int c;

int _tolower(c)
       int c;

int toascii(c)
       int c;

Description
       The  functions  and  have  as their domain the range of the function. If the argument to represents a lowercase letter, the output from the
       function is the corresponding uppercase letter. If the argument to represents an uppercase letter, the result is the  corresponding  lower-
       case letter.

The  case  of  c depends on the definition of the character in the language database. Because the case of a character can vary between lan-
       guage databases, the case of c depends on what language database is in use. Specifically, the case of arguments depends	on  what  property
       tables  are  associated the LC_CTYPE category.  Property tables are associated with the LC_CTYPE category by a successful call to the func-
       tion that includes the LC_CTYPE category. If no successful call to define LC_CTYPE has occurred or if the  character  case  information	is
       unavailable for the language in use, the rules of the ASCII coded character set determine the case of arguments.

If  the	argument  to the function does not have the uppercase attribute, returns the argument unchanged.  Likewise, if the argument to the
       function does not have the lowercase attribute, returns it unchanged.

The macros and have the same affect as and The difference is that the argument to the macros must be an ASCII character (that is, a charac-
       ter in the domain -1 to 127) and the argument must have the appropriate case.  Arguments to must have the uppercase attribute and arguments
       to must the lowercase attribute. The result of supplying arguments to these macros that are outside the domain or do not have the appropri-
       ate case is undefined.  These macros operate faster than the and functions.

The  macro  converts its argument to the ASCII character set. The macro converts its argument by truncating the numerical representation of
       the argument so that it is between -1 and 127. You can use this macro when you move an application to a system other than an ULTRIX system.

International Environment
       LC_CTYPE       If this environment variable is set and valid, uses the international language database named in the definition to determine
		      character classification rules.

See Also
       ctype(3int), setlocale(3), getc(3)

conv(3)