Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HOWTO - change letter case of variable value Post 302427876 by presul on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 07:13:57 AM
Old 06-08-2010
HOWTO - change letter case of variable value

Hi

I have e.g. VAR1=january and I need to change it into VAR1=January.

How to change value of VAR1 variable to always set first character uppercase and other lowercase ?

thx for help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Covert case of first letter only

Using sed or tr, how do I change "fred" into "Fred" or "fReD" into "Fred" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tisons
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add a space after an Upper case letter

Hi I have two questions. 1. how to convert "EverythingIsFine" to "Everything Is Fine" in a txt file. 2. how to convert everything to upper case letter and reverse, I hope there is a general purpose script for this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to upper case first letter of each word in column 2

Hi guys, I have a file separated by ",". I´m trying to change to upper case the first letter of each word in column 2 to establish a standard format on this column. I hope somebody could help me to complete the SED or AWK script below. The file looks like this: (Some lines in column 2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check input for lenght, special characters and letter case

I made menu script for users so they can run other script without going in shell just from menu. But i must control their input. These are criteria: Input must have 4 signs First two signs are always lower case letters Input shall not have some special signs just letters and numbers ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waso
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change each letter of a string

Is there a way to change each letter of a string to the next one in the alphabet, so that a becomes b and f becomes g, and digits become one unit bigger - 4 becomes 5 and 9 becomes 0. I want to change strings like ben123 to cfo234. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

toupper or tolower case of first letter of the line depending on another file

Hi I would like to read if the first letter of a line in a first file (gauche.txt) is uppercase or lowercase, and change consequently the first letter of the corresponding line in the second file (droiteInit.txt). I have done this but it won't work (I launch this using gawk -f... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Upper case letter match

Hi, im able to search for string in a file (ex: grep -w "$a" input.txt). but i have to search for the uppercase of a string in a file where upper case of the file content matches something like below. where upper("$a")== converted to upper case string in (input.txt) can someone please provide... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_satyambabu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
JSON_PP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						JSON_PP(1)

NAME
json_pp - JSON::PP command utility SYNOPSIS
json_pp [-v] [-f from_format] [-t to_format] [-json_opt options_to_json] DESCRIPTION
json_pp converts between some input and output formats (one of them is JSON). This program was copied from json_xs and modified. The default input format is json and the default output format is json with pretty option. OPTIONS
-f -f from_format Reads a data in the given format from STDIN. Format types: json as JSON eval as Perl code -t Writes a data in the given format to STDOUT. null no action. json as JSON dumper as Data::Dumper -json_opt options to JSON::PP Acceptable options are: ascii latin1 utf8 pretty indent space_before space_after relaxed canonical allow_nonref allow_singlequote allow_barekey allow_bignum loose escape_slash -v Verbose option, but currently no action in fact. -V Prints version and exits. EXAMPLES
$ perl -e'print q|{"foo":"XX","bar":1234567890000000000000000}|' | json_pp -f json -t dumper -json_opt pretty,utf8,allow_bignum $VAR1 = { 'bar' => bless( { 'value' => [ '0000000', '0000000', '5678900', '1234' ], 'sign' => '+' }, 'Math::BigInt' ), 'foo' => "x{3042}x{3044}" }; $ perl -e'print q|{"foo":"XX","bar":1234567890000000000000000}|' | json_pp -f json -t dumper -json_opt pretty $VAR1 = { 'bar' => '1234567890000000000000000', 'foo' => "x{e3}x{81}x{82}x{e3}x{81}x{84}" }; SEE ALSO
JSON::PP, json_xs AUTHOR
Makamaka Hannyaharamitu, <makamaka[at]cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2010 by Makamaka Hannyaharamitu This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 JSON_PP(1)