Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed doubt in extracting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed doubt in extracting Post 302427846 by ripat on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 05:46:15 AM
Old 06-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalibrahim
Hi,

Can anyone help me in understanding how the below code works?
Code:
echo "texxt" | sed 's/[^x]//'

gives output exxt, ideally it should give xxt. as this should remove the chars which is not x.
try
Code:
echo "texxt" | sed 's/[^x]//g'

Quote:
Code:
echo 'x_a_b_a_c_a_d' | sed 's/.*\(a\)/\1/'

gives output as a_d, which should be 'a' as it's the only character in the section
the output is normal. You ask to replace all characters up to *the last* a in string. Remember the sed regex are "greedy". They take all they can.

Quote:
Code:
echo 'foo-bar-1.4.5-19.spkg' | sed 's/-[^-]*$//'

and how the above code works?
Same as above. That pattern will take all non - characters following a - up to the end of the string. The only part of the string that match that pattern is from the last - up to the end.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt it sed

Hello.. i want to use variable in sed.. like sed 's/ROOTMAILID/$variable/g' conf.test but its not working.. please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt in sed

hi all, i have a variable exported as VAR=ATTRIB then tried with, echo "tt" | sed 's/^/$VAR/' expected result as ttATTRIB but obtained only, $VARtt i could nt get where i am wrong. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doubt in SED command

PLEASE EXPLANIN ME... sed 's~\(.*\)\(<name>\)\(.*\)\(</name>\)\(.*\)~\2\3\4~' this is the format <start><name>123<\name><addr>BAC<\addr><loc>sfo<\loc></start> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A sed doubt - need explanation

Hi, The following command works fine for me, but I could not grasp the logic working behind of sed command, it's obscure to me :( :confused: echo "./20080916/core/audioex.amr" | sed "s%\(\)/%\1_%g" o/p: ./20080916_core_audioex.amr Could anyone please explain to me in detail, that how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command doubt

i have input files like this SFE_DOC_DATE (SFE_DOC_DATE:UniChar.:): "04/18/20" SFE_PSTNG_DATE (SFE_PSTNG_DATE:UniChar.:): "04/18/20" SFE_CREATEDON (SFE_CREATEDON:UniChar.:): "05/31/20" SFE_CLEAR_DATE (SFE_CLEAR_DATE:UniChar.:): "(NULL)" SFE_CLR_DOC_NO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed doubt...

Hi, i need find and replace a sting with a new variable having value as spaces in between. Eg: set a = "i am variable" set b = "i am second" sed -e 's/find_string/'$a'/g' -e 's/find2_str/'$b'/g' input_file here it is giving error... How to get an varaible, which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt while extracting file

Hi friends i am very new to unix.i have one doubt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script doubt in extracting and comparing uid

Hi, I need to get the value of 'uid' from a line in file f1. For example, in the line below, I need to get the value '150', from the 'anonuid=150' key, and I need to verify that this is a valid uid by checking it against /etc/passwd (i.e) I want to compare this uid, 150 (or more if there are any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed basic doubt

Hi , what is the equivalent of below awk in sed. awk '$1=="ABC"&&$2=="XYZ" {print $0}' infile Thanks, Shruthi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt in sed

Hi All Can some one explain what does the given two sed commands do :confused: sed "s/\'/\\\'/g" | sed 's/\"/\\\"/g' Please find the sample code i used to find out what this is doing , but it has confused me more :wall: $ cat sri1.txt \ ' " $ sed 's/\"/\\\"/g' sri1.txt \ '... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
5 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)