Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed on Mac OS versus Linux
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support sed on Mac OS versus Linux Post 302427736 by jdhahbi on Monday 7th of June 2010 04:52:13 PM
Old 06-07-2010
Thank you for your help

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CTRL+H versus ^? versus BACKSPACE

Hi Gurus! I recently got my shell account (HP UX v11) created by our sysadmin and am having problem deleting with the backspace key. After doing some reading, I believe I need to enter a custom "STTY..." statement in my profile. Can someone please help me with the correct "STTY" sequence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

2. Programming

fcntl works in linux but not in mac os x

Hi, Unless I am missing some serious differences in Mac and linux in terms of C programming, I dont know why this would happen. Please take a look at the following piece of code fragment: bool add_input_to_db(Cons *new_data) { // Set the attributes of the lock struct flock fl =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newhere
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X sed, add newline after pattern

Hi, I've been trying to work out how to add a new line to a file when the pattern matches .dmg. I've been searching Google but yet not found a working solution. Help would be appreciated... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pburge
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vm versus physical linux server

Does anyone have a script that can be run to tell you if you are on either a VM Linux or a physical Linux server? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbenn
15 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redhat versus Ubuntu Linux distribution

I am being asked to use RHEL red hat instead of ubuntu. Are the basic commands the same? I know the licensing is different, but are the package mangers/repositories the same? That is will sudo apt-get still be used? I have been using ubuntu for 4 years and have never used red hat so any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

GNU sed running on Mac

Super basic question. I installed sed GNU on a MAC running High Sierra. However, when I run sed '1i>sometext, I get the following error: sed: 1: "1isometext"; command i expects \ followed by text I have added the \ with no success. Is there anyway I can run sed and awk on MAC in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
PERLMACOS(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      PERLMACOS(1)

NAME
README.macos - Perl under Mac OS (Classic) SYNOPSIS
This document briefly describes perl under Mac OS (Classic). If you are running perl under Mac OS X, you don't want to be here (unless you are in the Classic environment under Mac OS X). When we say "Mac OS" below, we mean Mac OS 7, 8, and 9, and not Mac OS X. DESCRIPTION
The latest perl source itself builds on Mac OS, with some additional pieces. Support for Mac OS is now in the perl core, and MacPerl is kept in close sync with regular perl releases. To build perl for Mac OS (as an MPW tool), you will need the addition of the macos subdirectory, distributed separately. It includes extra source files, config files, and make files. It also includes extra Mac-specific modules. To build the MacPerl application, you will also need the macperl directory, which includes the source files for creating the application itself. All of this is available from the development site, via HTTP (in the MacPerl Installer, which includes all the source and binaries) and anonymous CVS. http://dev.macperl.org/ The source is also in the main perl repository in the macperl branch (the 5.6 source is in the maint-5.6/macperl branch). You will also need compilers and libraries, all of them freely available. These are linked to from the SourceForge site. Go that site for all things having to do with MacPerl development. MacPerl 5.6.1 and later are supported on Mac OS 8.1 and later, for 68040 and PowerPC architectures. The MPW tool may be used on Mac OS 7.5.5 and 68030 computers. MacPerl 5.2.0r4 is also available, on the CPAN and on SourceForge. It is based on perl 5.004, and works with Mac OS 7.5.5 and 68030 com- puters. AUTHOR
perl was ported to Mac OS by Matthias Neeracher <neeracher@mac.com>. It is currently maintained by Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>. DATE
Last modified 2002.05.02. perl v5.8.0 2003-02-18 PERLMACOS(1)