Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C pointer/array duality confusion Post 302427735 by Corona688 on Monday 7th of June 2010 04:47:28 PM
Old 06-07-2010
You're on a one-way track to segfault land if you don't understand what kind of pointers you're using. It's not enough that it compiles. Have you even allocated memory for your pointer to pointer pointers?

If I knew what you were actually trying to do I could show a way to do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confusion (file pointer and file descripter)

Hi everybody, i am newbie to unix and confused with file pointers and file descripters. could anyone help me to clear my doubts .. when we call unix system calls to create a file then we are dealing wih file descripters i think file descripters are also normals file as stored inhard disks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnray31
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing pointer array in C

All .. I am having a pointer array . And trying to store the addess into that pointer array . please see below the problem i faced code: int cnt1; char *t_array; char *f_array; for(cnt1=0; cnt1<1000; cnt1++) { t_array =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

4. Programming

help with char pointer array in C

i have an array like #define NUM 8 .... new_socket_fd = accept(socket_fd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &client_length); char *items = {"one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight"}; char *item_name_length = {"3", "3", "5", "4", "4", "3", "5", "5"}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

5. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

6. Programming

Unclear pointer and array

Hello, The purpose of the program is to print a sub string from the prompt inputs. I do not understand why char pointer does not work but char array will for line 40 and Line 41. ./a.out thisisatest 0 8 substring = "thisisat"And my code is: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
29 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer confusion

Here are two programs that pass a pointer to a variable but behave differently. Shouldnt the i in second program be 0 after the function call? #include<stdio.h> void changeI(int *i) { *i = 10; } int main(void) { int i=5; printf("%d before\n", i); changeI(&i); printf("%d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File System and Storage Array Confusion

Hi Friends, I have a host(Suse Linux 10.4) which has 2 luns presented from 2 different arrays HP eva and xp. we are planning to migrate hp eva to 3par. When i look for physical volume i see /dev/dm-4, /dev/dm-5, /dev/dm-7and when i look for multipath -ll i see dm-8,dm-9,dm-7. So i can't confirm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna529
6 Replies

9. Programming

Character pointer to Character array

how to copy content of character pointer to character array in c programming.. char *num; char name=num; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zinat
1 Replies

10. Programming

Pointer for 2D array seems to be 3D in C

I am struggling with the pointer to 2D-array (cf: 2D array of pointers). Can anybody help me elaborate how the pointer x moves in the memory to access the individual of y, especially the high lighted lines? I have talked to one of the curators of the forum, but I am still not quite clear. Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies
id32_alloc(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					    id32_alloc(9F)

NAME
id32_alloc, id32_free, id32_lookup - 32-bit driver ID management routines SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/id32.h> uint32_t id32_alloc(void *ptr, int flag); void id32_free(uint32_t token); void *id32_lookup(uint32_t token); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris architecture specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
ptr any valid 32- or 64-bit pointer flag determines whether caller can sleep for memory (see kmem_alloc(9F) for a description) DESCRIPTION
These routines were originally developed so that device drivers could manage 64-bit pointers on devices that save space only for 32-bit pointers. Many device drivers need to pass a 32-bit value to the hardware when attempting I/O. Later, when that I/O completes, the only way the driver has to identify the request that generated that I/O is via a "token". When the I/O is initiated, the driver passes this token to the hardware. When the I/O completes the hardware passes back this 32-bit token. Before Solaris supported 64-bit pointers, device drivers just passed a raw 32-bit pointer to the hardware. When pointers grew to be 64 bits this was no longer possible. The id32_*() routines were created to help drivers translate between 64-bit pointers and a 32-bit token. Given a 32- or 64-bit pointer, the routine id32_alloc() allocates a 32-bit token, returning 0 if KM_NOSLEEP was specified and memory could not be allocated. The allocated token is passed back to id32_lookup() to obtain the original 32- or 64-bit pointer. The routine id32_free() is used to free an allocated token. Once id32_free() is called, the supplied token is no longer valid. Note that these routines have some degree of error checking. This is done so that an invalid token passed to id32_lookup() will not be accepted as valid. When id32_lookup() detects an invalid token it returns NULL. Calling routines should check for this return value so that they do not try to dereference a NULL pointer. CONTEXT
These functions can be called from user or interrupt context. The routine id32_alloc() should not be called from interrupt context when the KM_SLEEP flag is passed in. All other routines can be called from interrupt or kernel context. SEE ALSO
kmem_alloc(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.11 12 Dec 2001 id32_alloc(9F)