Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed on Mac OS versus Linux
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support sed on Mac OS versus Linux Post 302427717 by jdhahbi on Monday 7th of June 2010 03:37:58 PM
Old 06-07-2010
sed on Mac OS versus Linux

I'm trying to replace space with inderscore on Mac OS X 10.6.3
sed -i 's/ /_/g' somefile
sed: 1: "hsa_mirbase.fa": extra characters at the end of h commandThis works perfectly fine on Linux.
Thank you
Joseph Dhahbi

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CTRL+H versus ^? versus BACKSPACE

Hi Gurus! I recently got my shell account (HP UX v11) created by our sysadmin and am having problem deleting with the backspace key. After doing some reading, I believe I need to enter a custom "STTY..." statement in my profile. Can someone please help me with the correct "STTY" sequence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

2. Programming

fcntl works in linux but not in mac os x

Hi, Unless I am missing some serious differences in Mac and linux in terms of C programming, I dont know why this would happen. Please take a look at the following piece of code fragment: bool add_input_to_db(Cons *new_data) { // Set the attributes of the lock struct flock fl =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newhere
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X sed, add newline after pattern

Hi, I've been trying to work out how to add a new line to a file when the pattern matches .dmg. I've been searching Google but yet not found a working solution. Help would be appreciated... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pburge
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vm versus physical linux server

Does anyone have a script that can be run to tell you if you are on either a VM Linux or a physical Linux server? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbenn
15 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redhat versus Ubuntu Linux distribution

I am being asked to use RHEL red hat instead of ubuntu. Are the basic commands the same? I know the licensing is different, but are the package mangers/repositories the same? That is will sudo apt-get still be used? I have been using ubuntu for 4 years and have never used red hat so any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

GNU sed running on Mac

Super basic question. I installed sed GNU on a MAC running High Sierra. However, when I run sed '1i>sometext, I get the following error: sed: 1: "1isometext"; command i expects \ followed by text I have added the \ with no success. Is there anyway I can run sed and awk on MAC in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)