Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deletion of characters in every second line Post 302427461 by s052866 on Sunday 6th of June 2010 07:56:56 AM
Old 06-06-2010
Hi, thanks for the responses. I tried both, however, I was giving an error message about the "!" ?

Code:
interaction[rlmn]:/home/projects/rlmn/sommerdata/run2> awk '!/^[@+]/{print substr($0,7)}/^[@+]/{print}' MS_Pa-plex_1_tag1.sanfastq 
Bad ! arg selector.

interaction[rlmn]:/home/projects/rlmn/sommerdata/run2> awk '!/^[@+]/{if(f){f=0;$0=substr($0,7)}else{f=1}}1' MS_Pa-plex_1_tag1.sanfastq 
Bad ! arg selector.

This is the head of my input file:
Code:
interaction[rlmn]:/home/projects/rlmn/sommerdata/run2> head -n8 MS_Pa-plex_1_tag1.sanfastq
@HWUSI-EAS656_0034:7:12:1:291#0/1
AGCNGTGAGTATGGGATCGCCGACCTGCGCGGCACGCATGACGCGGAAGTGATCGCNGCGCTGCGGCGCATCGCCGNNNNNNN
+
@B<%+;B3??3AA<6=?A>BAA7?;3??>;@A><'B'6=;7,+2:######################################
@HWUSI-EAS656_0034:7:12:2:1814#0/1
AGCNGTCCTCGATGCGGGTCCGTGCATAGTGTTCGCCGTCCTGGCTCTGCACATACTCGCCAGGGCAGTCGTAGACNNNNNNN
+
7?;%<ABBAA;?@7@AA??>>@;@A<ABB2;===66>=1?1/5;==55=/9277#############################

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line deletion help using perl -ne

Hi all, I know the one liner to delete all the lines in a file which matches a pattern i.e perl -i.old -ne 'print unless /pattern/' file Now i need the perl onliner to delete all the lines which doesnt match the pattern. Also what is the difference between perl -i and perl -i.old. Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lijju.mathew
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line

hello experts, I need a sed command that remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line. any suggestions? Thanks you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

blank line deletion in a file using perl

Dear All, I am looking for an option in perl using which i could delete empty lines in a file. Or the alternative of sed '/^$/d' <filename> in perl. Sed is not working in my perl script :( Pls help me out . Thanks, VG (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vguleria
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deletion of duplicate characters and count

to delete the duplicate characters in a file I used this code cat file.txt|tr -s "" tell the other ways using sed command to count of duplicate characters thanks:) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify beginning-of-line/end-of-line characters inside a regex range

How can I specify special meaning characters like ^ or $ inside a regex range. e.g Suppose I want to search for a string that either starts with '|' character or begins with start-of-line character. I tried the following but it does not work: sed 's/\(\)/<do something here>/g' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - combination of line deletion and pattern matching

I want to delete all the blank lines from a file before a certain line number. e.g. Input file (n: denotes line number) 1: a 2: 3: b 4: c 5: 6: d I want to delete all blank lines before line number 3, such that my output is: a b c d I see that sed '/^$/d' in_file works... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to separate one line to mutiple line based on certain number of characters?

hi Gurus, I need separate a file which is one huge line to multiple lines based on certain number of charactors. for example: abcdefghi high abaddffdd I want to separate the line to multiple lines for every 4 charactors. the result should be abcd efgh i hi gh a badd ffdd Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: Read line parse characters into variable and remove the line if the date is older than 50 days

I have a test file with the following format, It contains the username_date when the user was locked from the database. $ cat lockedusers.txt TEST1_21062016 TEST2_02122015 TEST3_01032016 TEST4_01042016 I'm writing a ksh script and faced with this difficult scenario for my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
projects(1)							   User Commands						       projects(1)

NAME
projects - print project membership of user SYNOPSIS
projects [-dv] [ user] projects -l [projectname [projectname...]] DESCRIPTION
The projects command prints on standard output the projects to which the invoking user or an optionally specified user belongs. Each user belongs to some set of projects specified in the project(4) file and possibly in the associated NIS maps and LDAP databases for project information. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Prints only default project. -l Prints verbose info on each project projectname. If no projectnames are given, info on all projects is printed. -v Prints project descriptions along with project names. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: projectnaDisplay information for the specified project. user Displays project memberships for the specified user. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Displaying Membership for a Specified User example$ projects paul default beatles wings example$ projects ringo default beatles example$ projects -d paul beatles EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 A fatal error occurred during execution. 2 Invalid command line options were specified. FILES
/etc/project Local database containing valid project definitions for this machine. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The invocation is Evolving. The human-readable output is Unstable. SEE ALSO
getdefaultproj(3PROJECT), getprojent(3PROJECT), project(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 May 2004 projects(1)