Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script: foreach file -> targzip Post 302427437 by JKMlol on Saturday 5th of June 2010 05:46:02 PM
Old 06-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Excuse me for asking, but what is the point of putting a single .jpg file into a tar archive? Als why gzip this archive that only contains this one, already compressed file (.jpg) ?
Hehe, it's actually not jpg files, it was just an example.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach in shell scripting

I need to read list of machines from a file using foreach loop. I am trying the follwing, but its not reading the list foreach i (`cat file.lst | awk '{print $1}'`) ls -l | grep $i end here the file file.lst contains list of files Any idea whats wrong here Thanks Krisyet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisyet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell - foreach - No Match error

Hi All, I am facing 'No Match' problem with foreach loop in C shell script. Initially I tried following grep command showing results properly as shown at the end of the Thread. But foreach command is throwing the error 'No match'. grep -n Inserted audit_file foreach insertstr (`grep -n... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Integer with nested foreach

I am scripting in tcsh and here is what I currently have: foreach group (g1 g2 g3 g4) set ppl = `cat $group.file.with.list.of.ppl.in.row.format` set label = 1 @ label += 1 foreach ppls ($ppl) echo $label >> file end end ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonesy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach shell question

Hi I would like foreach to go through a range of numbers 1-365. This input is being read by a compiled fortran program in the same shell script. Let me try an example to clarify #!/bin/sh foreach i (1-365) ./data_make program <<EOF 'echo $i' /data_'echo $i' #output file I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_kowalske
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect ssh script issue with if and foreach

Hi, I am trying to create an ssh script to login to cisco routers and activate/deactivate bgp neighbors if they match certain conditions. I dont think my "if" and "foreach" are working correctly. Any help is appreciated. Below is my script: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blahblahsomeone
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop working in terminal but not in the script

Hi, I am new here I have used the forums a long time to search for things they are very helpful. I have unfortunately used up all my resources (professors, grad students) and need some help. I have this very simple piece of code (using to isolate the problem) in a csh script: #!/bin/csh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bflinchum
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop in unix script

Hi all, I have a script which searches for all sql files in the current directory and replaces all sql files with an underscore with a dash. The next part I need to do is record the number of changes made (underscore to dash) and display this value (e.g.2). This is what I have so far; find /... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawi
17 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script foreach help

I am writing a shell script to uncompress files in a directory, then call a Perl script to search the files for given terms, store those terms in a different output file , and compress the output. I get a syntax error with my use of foreach. Below is my script. #!/bin/csh -fxv if (!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgrayman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach alternative - C shell

Hi all I wrote a foreach loop in c-shell: foreach file (/.../fileNames*) ... end The problem is that if there aren't matching files in the directory I'm getting a "foreach: No match". How can I rewrite it so the script will just skip the loop if there aren't any matching files? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Somename
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use foreach with sed in a bash script

I want to extract data from a ASCII file that looks like the one provided here (see input.txt). For this purpose I used sed commands. I want to chain the sed commands into a script that I can call with custom variables, instead of having to run it multiple times (Need to run the code for 30*24 =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learningtocode
1 Replies
ARK(1)								 KDE User's Manual							    ARK(1)

NAME
ark - KDE archiving tool SYNOPSIS
ark [-b] [-a] [-e] [-c] [-f suffix] [-p] [-t file] [-d] [-o directory] [KDE Generic Options] [Qt(TM) Generic Options] DESCRIPTION
Ark is a program for managing various compressed file formats within KDE. Archives can be viewed, extracted, created and modified with Ark. The program can handle various formats such as tar, gzip, bzip2, zip, rar (when the appropriate libraries or command-line programs are installed). OPERATION MODES
Ark can be used either as a stand-alone GUI program as well as a command-line program in order to perform some specific tasks. If invoked without the -b (--batch) or -c (--add) options, Ark is started as a normal GUI program. When the -b (--batch) option is used, Ark can be used to extract the contents of one or more files directly from the command-line, without launching its GUI. When the -c (--add) option is used, Ark prompts for files that should be added to a new archive or to an existing archive. OPTIONS
-d, --dialog Show a dialog for specifying the options for a batch or add operation. -o, --destination directory Default the extraction directory to directory. If not passed, the current path is used. Options for adding files -c, --add Query the user for an archive filename and add specified files to it. Quit when finished. -t, --add-to filename Add the specified files to filename. Create archive if it does not exist. Quit when finished. -p, --changetofirstpath Change the current directory to the first entry and add all other entries relative to this one. -f, --autofilename suffix Automatically choose a filename, with the selected suffix (for example rar, tar.gz, zip or any other supported types). Options for batch extraction b, --batch Use the batch interface instead of the usual dialog. This option is implied if more than one url is specified. -e, --autodestination The destination argument will be set to the path of the first file supplied. -a, --autosubfolder Archive contents will be read, and if detected to not be a single folder archive, a subfolder by the name of the archive will be created. EXAMPLES
ark --batch archive.tar.bz2 Will extract archive.tar.bz2 into the current directory without showing any GUI. ark -b -d archive.tar.bz2 archive2.zip Will first show an extraction options dialog and then extract both archive.tar.bz2 and archive2.zip into the directory chosen in the dialog. ark --add-to my-archive.zip photo1.jpg text.txt Will create my-archive.zip if does not exist and then add photo1.jpg and text.txt to it. AUTHORS
Ark is currently maintained by Harald Hvaal haraldhv@stud.ntnu.no and Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito@gmail.com. This man page was first written by Lauri Watts lauri@kde.org in 2005 for KDE 3.4, and was later updated in 2009 by Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito@gmail.com. AUTHORS
Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org> Author. Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com> Author. K Desktop Environment 2.13 (KD 2009-09-10 ARK(1)