Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimal block size in dd
Operating Systems HP-UX Optimal block size in dd Post 302427349 by vslewis on Friday 4th of June 2010 06:59:49 PM
Old 06-04-2010
Optimal block size in dd

I cannot tar an ORACLE backup file with the size of > 8GB. So I am using "dd" to copy file to tape. What is the optimum block size for this process?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

block size

Hi, Somehow i have forgotten a comand that displays me the block size of the unix filesystem. Can someone letme know this command regards penguin (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know the OS Block size

Hello Unix guru's I want to check my OS Block size for the Solaris 8 Following is one of the line from df -g command. Can anybody help to interpret the same. /u03 (/dev/vx/dsk/oradg/vol03): 8192 block size 8192 frag size 205463552 total blocks 50433792... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dilippatel
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

block size

Hi All, drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 31 14:47 test Please let me know here 4096 indicating what? Thanks & Regards, Bache (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove header from files: optimal performance

I need to concatenate about a thousand files (using a loop) on a UNIX server. Also, each file has a header row which is to be removed. Which of the following would give better performance? tail+2 <filename> or sed '1,1d' <filename> Or is there another, faster way? Thanks, Kaus (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kausmone
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

What is the optimal approach to reboot the linux server

Hi All, Our Linux server were rebooted 723 days before and now We have decided to reboot the server due to server performance. Could someone advise us what is the optimal duration of a server reboot ? Thanks for your time. Best Regards, Arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunap44
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

O/s block size

Hi Guys, I am running Linux 2.6.18-164.el x86_64 how do i check the block size? Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies
TAR(5)								File Formats Manual							    TAR(5)

NAME
tar - tape archive file format DESCRIPTION
Tar, (the tape archive command) dumps several files into one, in a medium suitable for transportation. A ``tar tape'' or file is a series of blocks. Each block is of size TBLOCK. A file on the tape is represented by a header block which describes the file, followed by zero or more blocks which give the contents of the file. At the end of the tape are two blocks filled with binary zeros, as an end-of-file indicator. The blocks are grouped for physical I/O operations. Each group of n blocks (where n is set by the b keyletter on the tar(1) command line -- default is 20 blocks) is written with a single system call; on nine-track tapes, the result of this write is a single tape record. The last group is always written at the full size, so blocks after the two zero blocks contain random data. On reading, the specified or default group size is used for the first read, but if that read returns less than a full tape block, the reduced block size is used for further reads. The header block looks like: #define TBLOCK 512 #define NAMSIZ 100 union hblock { char dummy[TBLOCK]; struct header { char name[NAMSIZ]; char mode[8]; char uid[8]; char gid[8]; char size[12]; char mtime[12]; char chksum[8]; char linkflag; char linkname[NAMSIZ]; } dbuf; }; Name is a null-terminated string. The other fields are zero-filled octal numbers in ASCII. Each field (of width w) contains w-2 digits, a space, and a null, except size and mtime, which do not contain the trailing null and chksum which has a null followed by a space. Name is the name of the file, as specified on the tar command line. Files dumped because they were in a directory which was named in the command line have the directory name as prefix and /filename as suffix. Mode is the file mode, with the top bit masked off. Uid and gid are the user and group numbers which own the file. Size is the size of the file in bytes. Links and symbolic links are dumped with this field specified as zero. Mtime is the modification time of the file at the time it was dumped. Chksum is an octal ASCII value which represents the sum of all the bytes in the header block. When calculating the checksum, the chksum field is treated as if it were all blanks. Link- flag is NULL if the file is ``normal'' or a special file, ASCII `1' if it is an hard link, and ASCII `2' if it is a symbolic link. The name linked-to, if any, is in linkname, with a trailing null. Unused fields of the header are binary zeros (and are included in the check- sum). The first time a given i-node number is dumped, it is dumped as a regular file. The second and subsequent times, it is dumped as a link instead. Upon retrieval, if a link entry is retrieved, but not the file it was linked to, an error message is printed and the tape must be manually re-scanned to retrieve the linked-to file. The encoding of the header is designed to be portable across machines. SEE ALSO
tar(1) BUGS
Names or linknames longer than NAMSIZ produce error reports and cannot be dumped. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution November 7, 1985 TAR(5)