Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development Call shell script from HTML page - without web server Post 302427305 by sun2ecliptic on Friday 4th of June 2010 01:59:27 PM
Old 06-04-2010
What action do you want the shell script to perform? This would be helpful in determining the best path for design, and for analyzing security risks. I would not recommend it, but if you're interested in having httpd (or whatever your Apache web server user/group is set to) be able to access and run the file as the owner, try looking into SUID/GID for Apache. If you're going to proceed, I would really look into CGI or a standard practice designed to avoid security pitfalls. It can be a pain to mess with permissions. However, the structure of permission based access is there for a reason.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running shell script thru WEB page ....

....passing variable via list... here 's the HTML code extract : **************** <form method=post action=http://servername/cgi-bin/cgi-comptage_diff.ksh> <table border...........> .............. </table> <table bgcolor=#FFFFFF width="980"> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking shell script from html/jsp page

I want to invoke shell script named bubesh.sh when submit button clicked on html/jsp page.I am using an apache server and the html & shell script are in the same working directory.Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubeshj
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Html web page to Unix Connectivity

Hi All, I need a basic overview of connecting a HTML web page to Unix I will give a brief of my exact requirement. There will be a front end HTML page - a web page which will have certain buttons. Each button will have certain functionality. For eg: There is a button for Disk Usage. When the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect to a web-page by shell script

Dear all, I am calling a korn shell script(CGI script) by a web-page. This shell script do some checking in a unix file and return true or false. Now within the same script, If it returns true then I want to redirect to another web-page stored in htdocs directory. Example: Login page sends a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi18s
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass data from server (CGI script) to client (html page)

Hi I know how to pass data from client side (html file) to server using CGI script (POST method). I also know how to re-create the html page from server side after receiving the data (using printf). However I want to write static pages on client side (only the structure), and only to pass... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamabm
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Migrating from Shell Script to HTML Page

Hi, Need Help, Recently I have thought to migrating my Korn Shell Scripts to html page..., already webserv is running on my unix machine. How to migrate the shell scripts to html page.. Please refer any web portal or sample codes. Thanks in Adavce (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l_gshankar24
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic checkbox(HTML page) for each process using shell script

Hi friends, I m newbie to bash scripting , i m writing script(bash) that will display all processes which r running in my system in an html page, everything going fine but i m not able to get checkbox dynamically for each process in html page ,so that i can mark that process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vagga06
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring an html web page changes

Hello, I need to monitor an html web page for ANY changes and should be able to know if it's modified or not (since last query). I do not need what modifications but just notification is enough. This is a simple web page and I don't need to parse the links any further. Is it possible to do... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
10 Replies

9. AIX

How to Use a UNIX Shell Script to Create an HTML Web Page?

dear friends , in my work i have to monitor some system performance in hourly basis by runing some commands , for example (lpstat) to know that all the queue is ready how can i create webpage and connect it with the server (AIX operating system) and make this page refreshed every 10 second and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rami abusweilei
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to switch the user before executing a shell script from web page??

hi, i want to execute a shell script as a different user. the flow is like this. there is a html web page from which i have to call a shell script. web server is apache. to call the shell script from html page, a perl script is required. so the html page calls the perl script and the perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
2 Replies
GSEXEC(8)							  GridSite Manual							 GSEXEC(8)

NAME
gsexec - Switch user before executing external programs SYNOPSIS
gsexec [-V] SUMMARY
gsexec is used by the Apache HTTP Server to switch to another user before executing CGI programs. In order to achieve this, it must run as root. Since the HTTP daemon normally doesn't run as root, the gsexec executable needs the setuid bit set and must be owned by root. It should never be writable for any other person than root. gsexec is based on Apache's suexec, and its behaviour is controlled with the Apache configuration file directives GridSiteExecMethod and GridSiteUserGroup added to Apache by mod_gridsite(8) Four execution methods are supported: nosetuid, suexec, X509DN and directory, and these may be set on a per-directory basis within the Apache configuration file. NOSETUID METHOD
This is the default behaviour, but can also be produced by giving GridSiteExecMethod nosetuid CGI programs will then be executed without using gsexec, and will run as the Unix user given by the User and Group Apache directives (nor- mally apache.apache on Red Hat derived systems.) SUEXEC METHOD
If GridSiteExecMethod suexec is given for this virtual host or directory, then CGI programs will be executed using the user and group given by the GridSiteUserGroup user group directive, which may also be set on a per-directory basis (unlike suexec's SuexecUserGroup which is per-server only.) The CGI program must either be owned by root, the Apache user and group specified at gsexec build-time (normally apache.apache) or by the user and group given with the GridSiteUserGroup directive. X509DN METHOD If GridSiteExecMethod X509DN is given, then the CGI program runs as a pool user, detemined using lock files in the exec mapping directory chosen as build time of gsexec. The pool user is chosen according to the client's full certificate X.509 DN (ie with any trailing GSI proxy name components stripped off.) Subsequent requests by the same X.509 identity will be mapped to the same pool user. The CGI program must either be owned by root, the Apache user and group specified at gsexec build-time (normally apache.apache) or by the pool user selected. DIRECTORY METHOD
If GridSiteExecMethod directory is given, then the CGI program runs as a pool user chosen according to the directory in which the CGI is located: all CGIs in that directory run as the same pool user. The CGI program must either be owned by root, the Apache user and group specified at gsexec build-time (normally apache.apache) or by the pool user selected. EXECMAPDIR
The default exec mapping directory is /var/www/execmapdir and this is fixed when the gsexec executable is built. The exec mapping directory and all of its lock files must be owned and only writable by root. To initialise the lock files, create an empty lock file for each pool user, with the pool username as the filename (eg user0001, user0002, ...) As the pool users are leased to X.509 identities or directories, they will become hard linked to lock files with the URL-encoded X.509 DN or full directory path. You can recycle pool users by removing the corresponding URL-encoded hard link. stat(1) and ls(1) with option -i can be used to print the inodes of lock files to match up the hard links. However, you must ensure that all files and processes owned by the pool user are deleted before recycling! OPTIONS
-V If you are root, this option displays the compile options of gsexec. For security reasons all configuration options are changeable only at compile time. MORE INFORMATION
For further information about the concepts and the security model of the original Apache suexec please refer to the suexec documentation: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/suexec.html For examples using the gsexec extensions, please see the GridSite gsexec page: http://www.gridsite.org/wiki/Gsexec AUTHORS
Apache project, for original suexec Andrew McNab <Andrew.McNab@manchester.ac.uk> for gsexec modifications. gsexec is part of GridSite: http://www.gridsite.org/ SEE ALSO
httpd(8), suexec(8), mod_gridsite(8) gsexec October 2005 GSEXEC(8)