Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PXE diskless boot fails
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users PXE diskless boot fails Post 302427284 by yotamhc on Friday 4th of June 2010 12:18:02 PM
Old 06-04-2010
PXE diskless boot fails

Hi,

I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu)
I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto

I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine (using VMWare fusion) that does the net boot. I have additional VM on it with ubuntu 10.4 installed on it for other tests. The server runs ubuntu 10.4 server and the client image for network boot is ubuntu 10.4 desktop that I previously prepared as explained in the link above on a VM on my laptop.

The problem is that after loading the kernel and initrd (and outputting many things that I can't read because it happens too fast) I get the following error:
Code:
IP-Config: eth0 hardware address 00:0c:29:79:86:c1 mtu 1500 DHCP
[    2.775718] eth0: link up
IP-Config: no response after 60 secs - giving up
/init: .: line 3: can't open /tmp/net-eth0.conf
[   69.073555] Kernel panic- not syncing" Attempted to kill init!
[   69.073859] Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-22-generic #35-Ubuntu
< call trace - if it can help I can grab a screenshot >

At first I thought it means that the NFS is not accessible but I was able to mount it and access its files from the other VM so it is not the problem.

I have no idea what this error practically means, I saw in some google hits that it means that the network driver is missing. However, I created the initrd file on the same VM that now tries to boot and as explained in the tutorial. I tried both ways (mkinitramfs and update-initramfs) with no success.

Anyone can help?

Thanks!
Yotam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

PXE boot port issue

Hi,all: I want to boot an IA unix box from network, I am sure I set the DHCP and boot server, but it still failed ! It says : Client MAC Address: 00 18 FE 28 91 82 .....- PXE-E16: Valid PXE offer not received. Load of Core LAN Gb A failed: Not Found I use the nettl command to trace the UDP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluepluto
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting up a PXE Boot Server

I've set up a PXE boot server and I'm having a slight snag in the booting process. On the client machine, DHCP renders fine and TFTP seems to begin but then the system hangs. On the server, the error message "Client does not accept options" occurs -- which from reading online is a common message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colton
2 Replies

4. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

5. Solaris

PXE boot problems in Solaris 10

Hi folks, I was trying to setup Network based NFS installation with PXE. I'm using virtual box for this purpose. I have one redhat (DHCP) server and Solaris 10 (Install server - Source) and on the other one am trying to install solaris using PXE. As in, dhcp address and boot file can be fetched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaytrendz
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Interactive PXE Boot Menu

I have been asked to modify our PXE server such that there will be only one entry in the pxelinux.cfg/default file, where the same kernel and initrd.img will be used regardless of what operating system is to be installed, and the user will type in the path to the kickstart file that will be used. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceb
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

pxe boot server

Hi Hoping someone can help ove setup a pxe/dhcp boot server for auto installs on centos My server seems to be providing dhcp fine but the installation fails to progress when it reaches the pxe boot menu. I make my selection and nothing happens. I am serving the media via http from the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duckeggs01
3 Replies

8. Solaris

T5220 fails to boot

One of our T5220 servers fail to boot due to following error: ERROR: The following devices are disabled: XAUI1 XAUI0 I can't see any disabled components in SP console, any idea what is the problem? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: belalr
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL6 Diskless Remote boot fail

Hi guys, I've been trying to set up a server for disk-less booting of remote machines on a network. The server host OS is RHEL6 and I have configured dhcp, tftp and nfs services which are proven to be working since I am able to install RHEL6 through pxe boot. Now I want it to serve for disk-less... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aninmuk
0 Replies

10. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies
INITRAMFS.CONF(5)					       initramfs.conf manual						 INITRAMFS.CONF(5)

NAME
initramfs.conf - configuration file for mkinitramfs DESCRIPTION
The behaviour of mkinitramfs can be modified by its configuration file. Each line in the file can be a configuration variable, a blank line, or a comment. The value of an variable is assigned by an statement of the form: name=[value] Configuration options can be broken out into configuration snippets and placed in individual files in the /etc/mkinitramfs/conf.d direc- tory. Files in this directory are always read after the main configuration file, so you can override the settings in the main config file without editing it directly. GENERAL VARIABLES
MODULES Specifies the modules for the initramfs image. Modules listed in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and /usr/share/initramfs-tools/modules.d/* are always included in the initramfs, and are loaded early in the boot process. list doesn't load any additional modules at boot time, other than those listed in the above files. most adds most file system, all ata, sata, scsi and usb drivers. dep tries to guess which modules are necessary for the running box and only adds those modules. netboot adds the base and network modules, but skips block devices. The default setting is most. BUSYBOX Include busybox utilities for the boot scripts. If set to 'n' mkinitramfs will build an initramfs without busybox. Beware that many boot scripts need busybox utilities. COMPRESS Specifies the compression method used for the initramfs image. mkinitramfs will default to gzip if the kernel lacks support (CON- FIG_RD) or the corresponding userspace utility is not present. UMASK Set the umask value of the generated initramfs file. Useful to not disclose eventual keys. COMPCACHE_SIZE Amount of RAM to use for RAM-based compressed swap space. The default is not to use compcache. An empty value - compcache isn't used, or added to the initramfs at all. An integer and K (e.g. 65536 K) - use a number of kilobytes. An integer and M (e.g. 256 M) - use a number of megabytes. An integer and G (e.g. 1 G) - use a number of gigabytes. An integer and % (e.g. 50 %) - use a percentage of the amount of RAM. You can optionally install the compcache package to configure this setting via debconf and have userspace scripts to load and unload compcache. NFS VARIABLES
BOOT Allows one to use an nfs drive as the root of the drive. The default is to boot from local media (hard drive, USB stick). Set to nfs for an NFS root share. DEVICE Specifies the network interface, like eth0. ROOT Allows optional root bootarg hardcoding, when no root bootarg can be passed. A root bootarg overrides that special setting. NFSROOT Defaults to auto in order to pick up value from DHCP server. Otherwise you need to specify HOST:MOUNT. FILES
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf AUTHOR
The initramfs-tools are written by Maximilian Attems <maks@debian.org>, Jeff Bailey <jbailey@raspberryginger.com> and numerous others. Loosely based on mkinitrd.conf by Herbert Xu. SEE ALSO
initramfs-tools(8), mkinitramfs(8), update-initramfs(8). Linux 2010/11/22 INITRAMFS.CONF(5)