Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ssh many users to one home
Special Forums Cybersecurity ssh many users to one home Post 302427263 by Corona688 on Friday 4th of June 2010 11:11:59 AM
Old 06-04-2010
I don't believe sshd will even try to read the file if it has 'wrong' owners or permissions. You should run the server and the client with verbose information, see precisely what's doing what.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How best to extract the users home from /etc/password

What would be the best way to extract a users home from /etc/passwd. I intended to use cut but have been semi advised that a can do it using and eval statement and the ~ operator. Unfortunately this was just a casual conversation so made little sense at the time. Any help much appreciated. cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spaceship
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Home dir for users

Hello all, Most of our users have the same home directory, I know it's weird but it has been like this before me and we don't want to change that for now. When creating a new user using command useradd, it is not allowing me to create it because it is using the home directory of someone else. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Directory Jail for Users

Hi, I am looking for a shell script (or any other way), that puts a user in a home directory jail. So for example, I have a user named richard and I don't want him wandering outside /usr/users/richard. I don't want him to cd to anywhere including cd .. Somebody said you can do that with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mz043
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Can't create users in /home

Hi Friends,, I installed solaris 10 in vmware just now.I got a simple problem while i want to create users in /home directory.It is saying "cannot create ".So i checked the permission and then i find that the perm to user(root) is r-x.So i tried to change it to rwx using chmod but again i got a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost /home/directory for users

I'm using HPUX 11i. The other day a user logon to the workstation and was not able to find the /home/directory (tom is the directory) I login myself and it is the same thing. The home directory is on the server, so I was thinking of using sam to map it again. does anyone know how to do it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blizzgamer
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Common Home directory for different users??

Hi Guys, I have a problem with configuring a server. this is a solaris 10 with sparc platform. I have setup so that the server is Authenticating through NIS but I dont want the server to Mount the Home directories. The users need to logged in through the CDE/display. I have over 200 users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luky
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Files disappearing from /users/home

We have seen an issue whereby every morning around the same time , we see files being deleted from /users/$userid . We have many crons and processes running across 40+ different servers . Possibly some rogue process is doing this . How can one isolate the process removing stuff from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: taherkf
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

SSH lock users to the Home Directory

Hi friends, I must to give ssh connection to own customer. So I want to lock ssh user on own home directory. It is not necessery to reach other folders. I know that ftp user can lock on own folder but I don't know how to lock ssh user. I am waitting your kindly helps :D ---------- Post... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
10 Replies

9. AIX

close ssh users to the home directory

Hello, I must close ssh users to the home directory. It means the users musn't see anything inside their home directory. For example after login to the os and type this command "cd .." or "cd /" it musn't work. How can I implement it? (Probably chroot or rootsh but how?) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeszi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv, .rhosts -- trusted remote hosts and host-user pairs DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv and .rhosts files list hosts and users which are ``trusted'' by the local host when a connection is made via rlogind(8), rshd(8), or any other server that uses ruserok(3). This mechanism bypasses password checks, and is required for access via rsh(1). Each line of these files has the format: hostname [username] The hostname may be specified as a host name (typically a fully qualified host name in a DNS environment) or address, +@netgroup (from which only the host names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all hosts). The username, if specified, may be given as a user name on the remote host, +@netgroup (from which only the user names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all remote users). If a username is specified, only that user from the specified host may login to the local machine. If a username is not specified, any user may login with the same user name. EXAMPLES
somehost A common usage: users on somehost may login to the local host as the same user name. somehost username The user username on somehost may login to the local host. If specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, the user may login with only the same user name. +@anetgroup username The user username may login to the local host from any machine listed in the netgroup anetgroup. + + + Two severe security hazards. In the first case, allows a user on any machine to login to the local host as the same user name. In the second case, allows any user on any machine to login to the local host (as any user, if in /etc/hosts.equiv). WARNINGS
The username checks provided by this mechanism are not secure, as the remote user name is received by the server unchecked for validity. Therefore this mechanism should only be used in an environment where all hosts are completely trusted. A numeric host address instead of a host name can help security considerations somewhat; the address is then used directly by iruserok(3). When a username (or netgroup, or +) is specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, that user (or group of users, or all users, respectively) may login to the local host as any local user. Usernames in /etc/hosts.equiv should therefore be used with extreme caution, or not at all. A .rhosts file must be owned by the user whose home directory it resides in, and must be writable only by that user. Logins as root only check root's .rhosts file; the /etc/hosts.equiv file is not checked for security. Access permitted through root's .rhosts file is typically only for rsh(1), as root must still login on the console for an interactive login such as rlogin(1). FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv Global trusted host-user pairs list ~/.rhosts Per-user trusted host-user pairs list SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), netgroup(5) HISTORY
The .rhosts file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The ruserok(3) implementation currently skips negative entries (preceded with a ``-'' sign) and does not treat them as ``short-circuit'' neg- ative entries. BSD
November 26, 1997 BSD