Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing database password to isql command in shell script Post 302427092 by curleb on Thursday 3rd of June 2010 09:16:41 PM
Old 06-03-2010
very unlikely, although you'd probably be able to obfuscate it somewhat...

One option I've seen used is to provide a secondary script that is sourced into use, which actually provides the password. It serves to abstract the password from general population (that would be accessing your primary SQL file), but as with any command line parameter, it's still visible from any ps listing. Sort of like moving the password from the script, but putting it within easy reach of anyone with command line access.

You could also look into maybe setting up an ssh Tunnel that would effectively broker the call for you, but I've not done it myself either, so that's pretty much conjecture.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing password in shell script

Hi, Anybody help to write a shell script as below requirement. script stops some costomized application services. 1. first it will stop apache as root 2. then it will switch to my application user and stop app service. Note: passing password is required to stop app service as app... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manojbarot1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters to Shell script for GREP command

I am using grep to capture date from a file . Since i need to use the shell script for different dates ,is it possible to pass the date parameter to the shell script the Script is as below grep -E "08 Aug 2008|2008-08-08"* somefile.txt>test.txt The above script file greps the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sud.tech
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Shell Variables in ISQL

Hi.. I am passing a variable in my shell function. I need to access it for an isql comand in the shell script. However the isql o/p gives no results if i pass a variable in the command. The isql command works perfectly fine if i hardcore the table name. My script is : ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dikki
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh - passing password in shell script

I have a requirement, I need to run a command at remote system using a ssh. Is there any way we can pass the username and password in shell script to the ssh command as we did it in one of the shell script for FTP. ftp -n $i <<!EOF >> user Username $PASSWD cd /home/scripts ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muktesh
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing command output as an argument to a shell script

Hi, I have a very small requirement where i need to pass command output as an argument while invoking the shell script.. I need to call like this sh testscript.sh ' ls -t Appl*and*abc* | head -n 1' This will list one file name as ana argument.. I will be using "$1" in the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing password to a command

Hi all, I have the expect binaries in our boxes.. I want to pass a passwd to a command automatically without manual intervention using "/<path_of_expect>/expect/<version>/bin/autopasswd" The below command will ask passwd in my script cleartool rmtag -all <vob_tag> #Some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments from a bash shell script to a command

I'm pretty new to bash scripting and I've found myself writing things like this (and the same with even more nesting): if $CATEGORIES; then if $LABEL_SLOTS; then $pyth "$wd/texify_grammar.py" "$input" "$texfile" "--label-slots" "--categories" "$CATEGORY_LIST" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: burbly
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing password with SSH command

Hi Experts, I have specific requirement where I want to pass the password with the ssh username@hostname command . I dont want to use RSA public and private keys also. Because that will be on production server and no one wants to give access like that. Second thing it is production... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing shell script parameter value to awk command in side the script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sarita Behera
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Username & password through shell script to java code

Hi, I have a shell script (script.sh) in which we are calling java code which asks for Username: Password: for authentication purpose currently we are passing the credential manually and run the script. but I am trying echo -e "user_id\npassword" | script.sh but its not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
1 Replies
MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)					       MySQL Database System					      MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)

NAME
mysql_fix_privilege_tables - upgrade MySQL system tables SYNOPSIS
mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password=root_password DESCRIPTION
Note In MySQL 5.1.7, mysql_fix_privilege_tables was superseded by mysql_upgrade, which should be used instead. See mysql_upgrade(1). Some releases of MySQL introduce changes to the structure of the system tables in the mysql database to add new privileges or support new features. When you update to a new version of MySQL, you should update your system tables as well to make sure that their structure is up to date. Otherwise, there might be capabilities that you cannot take advantage of. mysql_fix_privilege_tables is an older script that previously was used to uprade the system tables in the mysql database after a MySQL upgrade. Before running mysql_fix_privilege_tables, make a backup of your mysql database. On Unix or Unix-like systems, update the system tables by running the mysql_fix_privilege_tables script: shell> mysql_fix_privilege_tables You must run this script while the server is running. It attempts to connect to the server running on the local host as root. If your root account requires a password, indicate the password on the command line like this: shell> mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password=root_password The mysql_fix_privilege_tables script performs any actions necessary to convert your system tables to the current format. You might see some Duplicate column name warnings as it runs; you can ignore them. After running the script, stop the server and restart it so that any changes made to the system tables take effect. On Windows systems, MySQL distributions include a mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql SQL script that you can run using the mysql client. For example, if your MySQL installation is located at C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.1, the commands look like this: C:> cd "C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.1" C:> binmysql -u root -p mysql mysql> SOURCE share/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql Note Prior to version 5.1.17, the mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql script is found in the scripts directory. The mysql command will prompt you for the root password; enter it when prompted. If your installation is located in some other directory, adjust the path names appropriately. As with the Unix procedure, you might see some Duplicate column name warnings as mysql processes the statements in the mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql script; you can ignore them. After running the script, stop the server and restart it. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2008 MySQL AB, 2008-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Sun Microsystems, Inc. (http://www.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.1 04/06/2010 MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)