Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Not able to edit files present in mounted directory Post 302427062 by deindorfer on Thursday 3rd of June 2010 05:32:52 PM
Old 06-03-2010
Undeleteable files: Immutable Bit Set?

check out the man pages for the /usr/bin/lsattr and /usr/bin/chattr command ( by Remy Card ).

They can do some pretty interesting things to files and filesystems, including setting the immutable bit ( LINUX_CAP_IMMUTABLE ) on a given file like so ( as root ):

Code:
shell> chattr +i  filename.txt

Not even root cannot modify this file in any way, no matter who owns it or how it is chmodded.

to undo that operation, as root:

Code:
shell> chattr -i  filename.txt

It's probably not what going on, but if all else fails, including an SELinux check, that could be what is hanging you up.

HTH

Scott

Last edited by deindorfer; 06-03-2010 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Correct Typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

/ partition is mounted but not present in mount

Hello , I 've got a problem with the root partition on my SCO 5.0.5 . When I check the disk with df or mount , I can 't see the root filesystem . # mount /stand on /dev/boot read only on Tue Sep 05 16:13:51 2006 /home on /dev/home read/write on Tue Sep 05 16:14:41 2006 But , if I try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npn35
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how many directory can be mounted on one file system

I have a question and seek help. How many directory can be mounted on one file system on UNIX with solaris 9? For example, I have one file system as /dev/dsk/cieit0a6. I have created one directory as /u01/app/oracle and mounted this directory to cieit06. It works. Then I create another directory as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

3. Linux

How to edit /etc/fstab when root was mounted as read only

can somebody help me out in editing the /etc/fstab. I am on RHEL5 (Tikanga). **The problem is that i have given a wrong LABEL in /etc/fstab for root volume and so after reboot, it is unable to resolve the wrong LABEL; so, i have to edit the /etc/fstab :-( -ilan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls > file - Creating file containing the list of all files present in a directory

Hi All, I need to create a file which contains the list of all the files present in that directory. e.g., ls /export/home/user/*.dat > list_file.dat but what i am getting is: $ ls /export/home/user/*.dat > list_file.dat /export/home/user/*.dat: No such file or directory But I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
1 Replies

5. Solaris

what is the use of each login related files present in users home directory

# ls -l total 10 -rw-r--r-- 1 dummy2 other 140 Jun 19 21:37 local.cshrc -rw-r--r-- 1 dummy2 other 136 Jun 19 21:37 local.cshrc~ -rw-r--r-- 1 dummy2 other 157 Jun 19 21:37 local.login -rw-r--r-- 1 dummy2 other 178 Jun 19 21:37 local.profile... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX :renaming the files present in the directory

Hi all, I am looking for a script which renames all the files from the present directory. Eg.: In unix directory contains the below files linux001.txt linux002.txt linux003.txt ...... ....... Now the files should be renamed to unix001.txt unix002.txt unix003.txt Could anyone... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit names of files in a directory

Hi all, I have a directory with multiple (thousnads) of files, which are named this way ABCDEF.wo.im-1 OKRAME.ire.roi IOJEAFO01.irt.gfg IMNYBL05.REG.gkf I would like to keep the part of the name (everything before the first dot in the filename). The desired output: ABCDEF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files, those can be present anywhere in the directory tree,based on its creation date

Hi I am unable to find files, those are present anywhere in the same directory tree, based on the creation date. I need to find the files with their path, as I need to create them in another location and move them. I need some help with a script that may do the job. Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam192837465
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New mounted directory

Hello I need to install a new application on my linux server but needs to have a new directory e.g /opt/InCharge as this is the directory that the application would ask for during installation .This directory needs to be mounted if df -h it should appear as mounted (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DOkuwa
9 Replies
MOUNT_FTP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      MOUNT_FTP(8)

NAME
mount_ftp -- mount a FTP filesystem SYNOPSIS
mount_ftp [-i] [-o options] ftp://host[:port][/path] node DESCRIPTION
The mount_ftp command mounts a FTP-enabled server directory at ftp://host[:port][/path] at the mount point indicated by node. If the -i option is not used, all the required information to establish a login to the remote server must be available in the ftp URL, including username & password if needed. The user ID for all files and folders is set to the user's real user ID. The group ID for all files and directories is set to unknown, and the permissions default to read and execute for user, group and other. The options are: -i Interactive mode, you are prompted for the username and password if you did not supply one in the url. -o Options passed to mount(2) are specified with the -o option followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The rdonly option will be set even if it was not specified because mount_ftp does not allow files to be opened with write access on servers. ftp://host[:port][/path] The FTP-enabled server directory to mount as a volume. If port is not specified, then port 21 is used. If path is not specified, then the path "/" is used. node Path to mount point. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount the FTP-enabled server directory ftp.apple.com/ at the mount point /Volumes/mntpnt/ mount_ftp ftp://ftp.apple.com/ /Volumes/mntpnt/ SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) HISTORY
The mount_ftp command first appeared Mac OS X Version 10.2. RETURN VALUES
0 mount_ftp successfully mounted the server directory. [ENOENT] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the node path is invalid. [ENODEV] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because it is not FTP-enabled or because it does not exist, or because node does not have proper access. [ECANCELED] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the user did not provide proper authentication credentials. BUGS
mount_ftp only supports mounting read-only. Mac OS X June 6, 2003 Mac OS X