Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why is RAID0 faster?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why is RAID0 faster? Post 302427031 by jgt on Thursday 3rd of June 2010 02:41:29 PM
Old 06-03-2010
Consider the following.
You want to fill up your backyard pool (the data) with a regular garden hose (the disk controller). Unfortunately the hose does not reach the pool. So you decide to fill up a pail (the disk) and carry it to the pool, empty the pail and carry it back. Now you have to turn off the hose every time that you fill the pail. If you add pails and carriers (RAID0), you need just enough of these so that when one pail is filled, the next pail arrives back from the pool just in time to not spill any water, or have to turn the tap off.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Mandrake should be faster.

For some reason 8.1 Mandrake Linux seems much slower than Windows 2000 with my cable modem. DSL reports test says they conferable speed with Windows2 though. This is consistant slow with both of my boxes, at the same time. Linux used to be faster, but not with Mandrake. Any way to fix this? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancest
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster then cp ?

Hi , I need to copy every day about 35GB of files from one file system to another. Im using the cp command and its toke me about 25 min. I also tried to use dd command but its toke much more. Is there better option ? Regards. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris RAID0 doubt...

friends, Suppose I am typing metastat command and it is showing: d100: Concat/Stripe Size: 369495 blocks (180 MB) Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks) Device Start Block Dbase Reloc c1d0s0 16065 Yes Yes c1d0s1 0 No Yes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which command will be faster? y?

i)wc -c/etc/passwd|awk'{print $1}' ii)ls -al/etc/passwd|awk'{print $5}' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
4 Replies

5. Linux

Raid0 recovery from external HD

Hi, I have the Lacie Big Disk, which is a external hard drive enclosure in a hardware RAID0 array of 2x250GB disks. The RAID controller seems to have died, leaving me with 2 working hard drives but no way to get the data. I tried hooking the drives up to a windows machine and using Raid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

live upgrade with raid0 soft partitions

Hi, I have this mirrored system with soft-partitions. I have a difficulty determining the lucreate cmd in this env. #metastat -p d0 -m d10 d20 1 d10 1 1 c1t2d0s0 d20 1 1 c1t3d0s0 d1 -m d11 d21 1 d11 1 1 c1t2d0s5 d21 1 1 c1t3d0s5 d100 -p d1 -o 58720384 -b 8388608 d200 -p d1 -o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chaandana
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which system is faster?

i'm trying to decide if to move operations from one of these hosts to the other. but i cant decide which one of them is the most powerful. each host has 8 cpus. HOSTA processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 44 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

8. Hardware

HP9000 Server - Stuck on RAID0

Hey all, I've got an old HP9000 L1000 server with HP-UX installed. The drives that the OS is running on are in RAID0. I am concerned for the reliability of the server. The four hard drives in the front of the server are LVD 18.2 drives. I know with RAID0, if one drive fails, they all fail. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mroselli
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Cloning RAID0 drives, Solaris 10u11

Hello all, this is my first time posting here. Where I work we have multiple servers (x3-2's) running Solaris 10u11 with 2 drives configured as RAID0, 300GB per. There are 4-6 open slots for drives to clone to. Past attempts to clone/backup these drives has failed. One of the machines is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eprlsguy
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Raid0 array stresses only 1 disk out of 3

Hi there, I've setup a raid0 array of 3 identical disks using : mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=stripe --raid-devices=3 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1I'm using dstat to monitor the disk activity : dstat --epoch -D sdb,sdc,sdd --disk-util 30The results show that the stress is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
8 Replies
DPM_MODIFYPOOL(3)					       DPM Library Functions						 DPM_MODIFYPOOL(3)

NAME
dpm_modifypool - modify a disk pool definition SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include "dpm_api.h" int dpm_modifypool (struct dpm_pool *dpm_pool) DESCRIPTION
dpm_modifypool modifies a disk pool definition. dpm_pool contains the new pool definition. struct dpm_pool { char poolname[CA_MAXPOOLNAMELEN+1]; u_signed64 defsize; int gc_start_thresh; int gc_stop_thresh; int def_lifetime; int defpintime; int max_lifetime; int maxpintime; char fss_policy[CA_MAXPOLICYLEN+1]; char gc_policy[CA_MAXPOLICYLEN+1]; char mig_policy[CA_MAXPOLICYLEN+1]; char rs_policy[CA_MAXPOLICYLEN+1]; int nbgids; gid_t *gids; char ret_policy; char s_type; u_signed64 capacity; u_signed64 free; int nbelem; }; poolname specifies the disk pool name. defsize specifies the default amount of space reserved for a file (in bytes). If set to -1, the current value is unchanged. gc_start_thresh specifies the minimum free space in the pool. If the percentage of free space goes below this value, the garbage collector is started. If set to -1, the current value is unchanged. gc_stop_thresh specifies the percentage of free space in the pool above which the garbage collector is stopped. If set to -1, the current value is unchanged. def_lifetime specifies the default time a space or volatile file is kept in the system (in seconds). If set to -1, the current value is unchanged. defpintime specifies the default time a file is kept on a given disk (in seconds). If set to -1, the current value is unchanged. max_lifetime specifies the maximum time a space or volatile file is kept in the system (in seconds). If set to -1, the current value is unchanged. maxpintime specifies the maximum time a file is kept on a given disk (in seconds). If set to -1, the current value is unchanged. nbgids is the size of the array of group ids gids. If set to -1, the current set is unchanged. gids The disk pool is restricted to this set of gids unless the group gid is zero. ret_policy specifies the retention policy supported by the disk pool. It can be R (for Replica), O (for Output) or C (for Custodial). If set to 0, the current value is unchanged. s_type indicates the type of space supported in the disk pool. It can be V (for Volatile), D (for Durable), P (for Permanent) or - (to accept any type). If set to 0, the current value is unchanged. This function requires ADMIN privilege. RETURN VALUE
This routine returns 0 if the operation was successful or -1 if the operation failed. In the latter case, serrno is set appropriately. ERRORS
ENOENT This pool does not exist. EACCES The caller does not have ADMIN privilege. EFAULT dpm_pool is a NULL pointer. EINVAL The length of poolname exceeds CA_MAXPOOLNAMELEN or the number of gids is too big. SENOSHOST Host unknown. SEINTERNAL Database error. SECOMERR Communication error. LCG
$Date: 2011-05-23 14:22:57 +0200 (Mon, 23 May 2011) $ DPM_MODIFYPOOL(3)